Where will Marina...

LuAnn

dock when she visits NY City on the Colonial Crossing? Any ideas? LuAnn

The larger ships (QM2) dock in Brooklyn. My guess would be for the Marina to dock there as well; unless the old docks on the Hudson have been refurbished.

Any NYers?

I stand corrected -

Having looked up the NYC port cruise schedule (only available for 2010):

http://www.nycruise.com/documents/AM-00229CruiseCalendar2010.pdf

it seems that only the very large ships dock in Brooklyn and I would think the Marina could easily dock in Manhattan, as most other ships do - let's hope so.

Everybody seems to be rooting for the Marina to dock on the West Side of Manhattan, and I believe that she will.

new-york-harbor.jpgThat means that she will pass Lady Liberty as she enters the harbor, and then sail by the Woolworth Building and the Empire State building.........but then I'm afraid that the romance stops.

manhattan_cruise_terminal-464x348.jpgDon't expect too much of the Manhattan location.

Only the Intrepid Museum is within easy walking distance and although all the industry left years ago, the area around the docks still looks very industrial.

Because the West Side Highway begins AT Pier 92, the traffic is awful and because of poor traffic flow, getting a cab is never easy.

normandie%201941.jpgThe Ocean Liner Terminal was built in the 1930's and it has been very poorly maintained. In fact, until a Carnival subsidiary took over their operation, about five years ago, the piers were mostly rented out for Antique and Flower shows.

New York is a world class destination, once you're clear of the cruise terminal. And it has been that way since the 1960's

StanandJim,

I know what you mean about the West side docks - I spent 10 years in NYC in the 70's (many things have changed since then, I know).

Still, docking in Manhattan has to be better than in Brooklyn, where most cab drivers will simply refuse to take you....

It looks to be at least 4 AVE blocks to the subway also... YIKES! Hopefully, they will be expecting the cruiseship and taxis will plan accordingly.

In case you have not used NYC cabs recently, let me tell you a little something about them.

They (only) sometimes stop when you flag them down, then ask you where you are going and if they don't like the answer (too close, too far, etc) they speed off without a word. This can happen over and over till you get "lucky".

This applies to Manhattan; it is different at the airports. You may be better off walking to the subway:cool:

Anything is better than Bayonne NJ...that is way far away from NY City and the cabs will not take you there from the city or from the dock to the city! I'll take Manhattan! :D and thanks for the info! LuAnn

Anything is better than Bayonne NJ...that is way far away from NY City and the cabs will not take you there from the city or from the dock to the city! I'll take Manhattan!

Luanne-

I believe that Port Liberty (which is what they are calling the Bayonne location) is only an RCCL facility.

Royal Caribbean, Celebrity and/or Azamara might sail from there, but the Marina would be limited to either Brooklyn or Manhattan.

Of those two, I'd still choose Manhattan, however, that is because I'm a native New Yorker and feel very comfortable in Manhattan.

For the typical cruise passenger, looking to take a bus tour, Brooklyn makes more sense.

Luanne-

I believe that Port Liberty (which is what they are calling the Bayonne location) is only an RCCL facility.

Royal Caribbean, Celebrity and/or Azamara might sail from there, but the Marina would be limited to either Brooklyn or Manhattan.

Of those two, I'd still choose Manhattan, however, that is because I'm a native New Yorker and feel very comfortable in Manhattan.

For the typical cruise passenger, looking to take a bus tour, Brooklyn makes more sense.

We were on the Connie when we docked there last Oct. after a T/A. I'm really lucky..I'm married to a native NY City guy and he is a whiz at all the subways, buses etc.! Without him I would be seriously LOST in the city..being a SD native..NY City is really like another planet to me...but a planet I love to visit! Good to know it will be one of those two locations! LuAnn

As a resident of Brooklyn Heights I take exception to the castigation of Brooklyn as a port ... what many people forget is that there are significant places of interest in Brooklyn, too, although I'm not about to claim that it is a superior destination to Manhattan! And I suppose it depends on how much time you are in port and/or if it is a final destination.

As to the cabs, the secret technique is to get in FIRST and THEN tell the cabby where you are going. Legally they must take you. That doesn't mean they all do, of course, but then the trick is to ostentatiously write down the driver's name and license number and inform him that you will be lodging a complaint with the Taxi Commission.

You may still get a cantankerous driver who will boot you out of his cab anyway but it's worth a try!

Yes, it's a long walk from the west side piers to the subway.

We are taking an NCL transatlantic next month (ssh, don't tell Oceania) and are disappointed that the ship leaves from West 55th Street. We could practically walk to the Brooklyn piers from our house (although someone would have to follow with our luggage...)

Archived