Local Beer?

gypsyrose

Just wondering if there is a "local beer" in Roatan? I know in Belize it is Belkin(?). Or something like that. I like to try the local brews if possible. Thanks for any help..

There are 4. Salva Vida, which is sorta light tasting like Bud or Miller and what most crusiers drink, comparable to Belikin. Port Royal, a cold filtered lager that has a bit more flavor than Salva Vida, very similar to Belkin's Premium. Imperial, is a pilsner along the lines of Heineken. And a lighter beer called Barena, in clear bottles like Corona may not be as readily available in Roatan. Of the 4, I prefer Imperial, Port Royal, Salva Vida in that order. Leave the Barena in the cooler, IMO.

I'm not a Corona fan but when we were in Roatan I really liked the Barena. I thought it had more flavor and body than your typical "Caribbean" style beer (Carib, Amstel Bright, etc.). I liked it so well I had another!

Speaking of beer, the worst beer I've ever had (and I've had Carling Black Label and various Pittsburgh Brewing Co. products...) was Caybrew from Grand Cayman. Terrible! I took 2 sips and threw it away!

Think Globally.....Drink Locally.

(except for that Caybrew crap!)

That Caybrew crap tasted pretty good along side my mango icecream cone:) Maybe that's what it needed, some fruit infusion to make it lambic.

$2 a beer sounds about right for any beers on Roatan.

Was just in Roatan and had my share of Salva Vida. I enjoy trying the local brews as well.

Agreed...Just back and loved the Salva Vida and it`s a good lookin can too!

CER0006ppp.jpg

Think Globally.....Drink Locally.

(except for that Caybrew crap!)

Agree even more. This was the only bucket of beers that I never finished. Worst beer in the Caribe!!!

• 6 months later...
So where do the locals and ex-pats go? ?

They are not one in the same. Many expats will pay the prices at the West bay West End. I frequent more local places where a local beer may be between 22 lemps and 30 lemps depnding on brand yet I am often the only gringo in sight

Just wondering if there is a "local beer" in Roatan? I know in Belize it is Belkin(?). Or something like that. I like to try the local brews if possible. Thanks for any help..

The Salva Vida gets my vote. Mi cerveza de eleccion en Roatan. :D

$1 us in groceries anywhere,:rolleyes: not near West End

thanks as well for asking the question. I like shopping for cold beer. :D

Might try a taste test for all just because we'll be there in a little over a week.

ReelGr8 we'll be looking for your brew review!

Six months until we get to try some...until then we'll have to live through your taste buds! :D

Will do!

There's a tiki hut right at the dock at Coxen Hole which usually carries all the brews (maybe not Barena, but you don't want that one anyway). Just inside the gate to the ship. Probably a little more than what you'd pay per bottle in a local store, but you're saving cab fare and you can zig zag up to the gangway reasonably easily.:D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

There are several grocery stores not too far away - one in Plaza Mar, another in MegaPlaza Mall. Depending upon what you're looking for, there are also smaller pulperias (kind of like a small neighborhood store) that may/may not have what you're in search of but you can always stop and ask!

Thanks for your quick reply.

How nice to have a local on here to answer questions. I have seen other replies you have given on this board and appreciate as others do, all the help you have given to everyone.:)

Would it be safe for us to just take walk ( without taking a taxi ) outside of the secured area of MB?

Archived