New to DCL... questions about 3-day on Dream

rjm11

Hello! I am hoping all you experienced Disney Cruisers can answer some questions for me. We are a family of four, with two children who will be 5 and 3 next Feb. when we are thinking of taking the 3 night cruise on the new Dream. DH and I have cruised a number of times, but this summer will be the first (7 day Alaska on NCL Pearl). Assuming that goes well, I would like to book the Dream for Feb.

1) is it stupid to wait until after August? Can I put a down payment down now and get my $ back in August if it turns out my kids are horribly sea sick or something?

2) we would want a Cat 5 or 6 verandah room... What is the sleeping configuration? Is it bunk beds? What is the top bunk rail situation? Can you still get out to the verandah when the beds are set up?

3) Dining.... I think I understand the rotational dining thing... but is there still room service and buffets in case we don't want to sit at a long dinner? Have your kids been entertained enough at dinner? I would of course prefer the sit-down option!!

4) anything else you can think of that I should know?

Go ahead... talk me into this!

thanks!

The Dream seems to be filling up pretty quickly. If the cabin category you want is available now, I would book it. Your deposit would be fully refunded if you should decide to cancel after your cruise in August.

Here is the link to cabin configurations on the Dream:

http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/ships-activities/ships/dream/staterooms/

Category 5 and 6 have a queen bed, convertible sofa and pull down bed:

http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/ships-activities/ships/staterooms/dream-fantasy/deluxe-oceanview-stateroom-with-verandah/

Hello! I am hoping all you experienced Disney Cruisers can answer some questions for me. We are a family of four, with two children who will be 5 and 3 next Feb. when we are thinking of taking the 3 night cruise on the new Dream. DH and I have cruised a number of times, but this summer will be the first (7 day Alaska on NCL Pearl). Assuming that goes well, I would like to book the Dream for Feb.

1) is it stupid to wait until after August? Can I put a down payment down now and get my $ back in August if it turns out my kids are horribly sea sick or something?

2) we would want a Cat 5 or 6 verandah room... What is the sleeping configuration? Is it bunk beds? What is the top bunk rail situation? Can you still get out to the verandah when the beds are set up?

3) Dining.... I think I understand the rotational dining thing... but is there still room service and buffets in case we don't want to sit at a long dinner? Have your kids been entertained enough at dinner? I would of course prefer the sit-down option!!

4) anything else you can think of that I should know?

Go ahead... talk me into this!

thanks!

Yes you can put money down now and get a refund if you change your mind. I believe you can get a full refund as long as you request it before the pay off date. After that there are penalties.

Sorry I havnt researched rooms on the Dream yet but on the other ships the bunk bed was over the couch. Yes it has a good railing so the child is safe. The couch converts to a single bed. We could walk past the couch to the verandah on the Magic and Wonder. I assume the Dream will work the same. with 2 small grandkids we let them sleep at opposite ends of the single bed the couch provided so we had no worries about them being afraid.

I dont know how the buffet will work on the Dream but on the other ships it is open from 6:30 to 8:30 all but the first and last night, so that would only be one night on a 3 day cruise, for dinner. It is sit down for dinner, not a buffet. It is a smaller but good menu. Of course it is open for breakfast and lunch.

Room service is 24 hours a day and offers some tasty entrees. Mostly soup and sandwich type stuff and pizza.

Most waiters are good about entertaining the kids and request the kids get served first. That helps.

For the kids that are old enough for the clubs they have a program you can sign up for and counselors come part way through dinner and pick up the kids and take them to the clubs so you can eat in peace. It is a trial basis right now but I have heard great reviews.

Also kids in the clubs can go to dinner with other kids and counselors. You just sign them up for it. They have a buffet set up for them. So that is another option.

I would go to the top of this forums page and read the tips thread. It has alot of valuable information.

Just remember the Dream is new and none of us has experinced it yet, so we can only go by the other ships in answering your questions.

Have fun planning,

Kathy

You get a full refund as long as you cancel within 75 days. The kids can eat in the kids club... or if you have late seating, they can eat with you and then the counselors will take them to the club for you(they actually pick the kids up, called dine and play)

I would book sooner than later as the 4 night cruise I booked Feb 1st has gone up in price, the earlier you book, the cheaper and you also can choose your room.

• 7 months later...

Reading your post made me laugh...We are going to Alaska on May 29th on the NCL Pearl. My husband and I are taking our 2 kids ages 5 and 12 to Alaska for the first time. We have been to Alaska before and LOVE it!

We are also booked on the Disney Dream for Feb 3, 2011. We have cruised Disney several times before and it is a wodnerful experience.

Just to expand upon the dining comments...

The waiters in the restuarants were very good about bringing kids food out quickly (if you want.) It's easy to excuse yourself when the kids are done eating, bring the to the kids club, then come back to the table and finish an adult meal. As others have mentioned, they sometimes even run programs where the councilors pick them up.

Also, in addition to room service and buffets, there are "quick service" places where you can grab a quick burger/sandwich/pizza.

The Dream seems to be filling up pretty quickly. If the cabin category you want is available now, I would book it. Your deposit would be fully refunded if you should decide to cancel after your cruise in August.

Here is the link to cabin configurations on the Dream:

http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/ships-activities/ships/dream/staterooms/

Category 5 and 6 have a queen bed, convertible sofa and pull down bed:

http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/ships-activities/ships/staterooms/dream-fantasy/deluxe-oceanview-stateroom-with-verandah/

No kidding. I tried to book anything inside for August and there was nothing available until the last week when my son is back in school.

I've been looking at one of our sailings in March and recently (I haven't checked in a few days) it hasn't shown availability for a room for 4. This might be partially due to spring break during this time for some folks, but I'd suggest you book if you have a price you are comfortable with unless you are willing/able to pick another date if your first choice is unavailable.

Archived