May leave Carnival for Holland Eurodam next time..

skidawg71

My partner and I are looking to jump ship from Carnival to Holland America for our next cruise. We've enjoyed our Carnival cruises but looking to move beyond the hairy chest contests and bad music. I know HAL can be serious "raisin land" sometimes but we're creeping into our 40's Jazz trios and fewer kids/families is starting to appeal to us more.

The thing we've always appreciated about Carnival however, is the great gyms, sauna's, steam, and how these are free in the Men's and Lady's locker rooms. Looking over the ships at HAL, it seems these are all unisex and I'm worried they require additional fees for features that are usually free on other lines. For instance, Eurodam is touting the therapy spa pools. Unfortunately, I'm not the kind of guy that likes to sit around in a warm puddle with a bunch of strangers, let alone pay for it every day.

Also, we are seriously looking at booking the VT Spa Cabins on the Observation deck. We enjoy being up high and far forward. I know it is only a standing balcony but will be purchasing a cabana in the retreat for the entire week so I can live fine with a small balcony. Has anyone stayed in one of these rooms? I'm looking at 11002 but worried about the proximity to the Crow's nest and Explorers, if there is a lot of noise from people coming and going.

Lastly, has anyone stayed in a VF room on deck 4?? Are they in a noisy area? I know it has a steal rail but is that a real downer??

Anything else you can tell me about the Eurodam and general Gay friendliness on Holland America would be helpful too.

Thank you!!

My partner and I are looking to jump ship from Carnival to Holland America for our next cruise. We've enjoyed our Carnival cruises but looking to move beyond the hairy chest contests and bad music. I know HAL can be serious "raisin land" sometimes but we're creeping into our 40's Jazz trios and fewer kids/families is starting to appeal to us more.

The thing we've always appreciated about Carnival however, is the great gyms, sauna's, steam, and how these are free in the Men's and Lady's locker rooms. Looking over the ships at HAL, it seems these are all unisex and I'm worried they require additional fees for features that are usually free on other lines. For instance, Eurodam is touting the therapy spa pools. Unfortunately, I'm not the kind of guy that likes to sit around in a warm puddle with a bunch of strangers, let alone pay for it every day.

Also, we are seriously looking at booking the VT Spa Cabins on the Observation deck. We enjoy being up high and far forward. I know it is only a standing balcony but will be purchasing a cabana in the retreat for the entire week so I can live fine with a small balcony. Has anyone stayed in one of these rooms? I'm looking at 11002 but worried about the proximity to the Crow's nest and Explorers, if there is a lot of noise from people coming and going.

Lastly, has anyone stayed in a VF room on deck 4?? Are they in a noisy area? I know it has a steal rail but is that a real downer??

Anything else you can tell me about the Eurodam and general Gay friendliness on Holland America would be helpful too.

Thank you!!

We cruised with HAL, on The Eurodam, on The Baltic Sea. It was the itinerary that we wanted-great cruise too.

We were in a spa cabin (10004) very front of the ship with a large 6'x4' front facing window. We knew we didn't want a balcony because of the cool weather in the Baltic in June. Smart move on are part. The cabin was very large and comfortable. Service was superb. Food was equal to Carnival, shows were sub-par compared to Carnival. HAL "sidewalks" roll up by 2300hrs!

If I remember correctly, the spa etc. was an extra cost, the gym was not extra and was moderate in size.

There were several FOD gatherings but we did not attend. We spoke briefly with several other couples that we met on board.

HAL is not the lively atmosphere one finds on Carnival. However, we had a grand time, as mentioned, because of the itinerary. We cruise again with HAL in 11 days. We liked the 10 day itinerary and knew we'd have fewer "spring breakers" with HAL. It is also very nice to be with a slightly more mature, very well traveled group of people on HAL. That is not a put down of Carnival-we're back with them in December!

We were on Carnival Triumph in Feburary. We met a family crew member who has worked in the Carnival family of cruise lines for over 6 years. He has been on Triumph for 9 months, but was on Holland America just before Triumph. He said that while HAL does tend to have an older crowd, it is not a floating nursing home either, but things do tend to wind-down before midnight. Like Procruise said, you don't have to leave Carnival, you can just add HAL to your cruising mix. I think we are going to do that soon too.

• 1 month later...

Thank you!!

We do Cunard cruise as we prefer the more "staid" atmosphere. That aside you should have no problem with HA. The crowd will be more "mature" that's true, but the FOD affairs are usually a nice way to make some new friends.

My Partner and I have only been taking cruises since 2009. We are trying the various lines (including Carnival) to see for ourselves which we prefer. In our opinion, alot depends on the individuals. The line that is right for some may not be a great fit for others. We have an upcoming cruises on both Azamara and Celebrity which we have not tried yet; that being said we feel it is good to try various lines to see which one/s you prefer. To date our prefer Princess.

I myself like HAL, Princess and Celebrity...each line has its strong points.

As far as HAL demographics.......it varies by ship and by cruise. Last October I was on Ryndam, and the crowd was 40 on up. When we were in Mexico, Eurodam pulled in and the crowd off loading for tours was noticeably younger...20"s 30's seem to out number the retirees.

Just remember...longer cruise, older crowd.

Eurodam does have a dry sauna for men only...no charge (it is small).

Gym is OK...I go every morning and have found it more than adequate. They fill up in the morning so go early or wait till after lunch.

I find HAL crew very friendly....no gay issues. Go to Pinnacle for dinner. it is wonderful.

Carnival...not my taste because I find the interiors horrid...I am so anti Joe Farcus. The energy on board is great, but the number of children and clientele not my taste. I have heard their food has greatly improved since I have sailed them. Got to give them credit for their great success as the world leader in the cruise business.

Princess......great although their ships interiors are sedate. Crew very gay friendly, good service, great gym facilities. Large sauna and steam rooms..no charge.

Celebrity...stunning interiors, dressy crowd, good food, good gyms. Dry suana no charge whereas steam and spa facilities at a charge.

For for me...Princess, Celebrity,HAl in that order.

Give each line a chance.....as your tastes change, so will your fav cruise line.

Now if I could only find a sig other that likes cruises as much as I do....that would be oh so nice.:)

To me, Holland America is more for the older/richer crowd. Nice ships but not for me. Not a lot of things to do onboard. I serioulsy doubt i would sail with them again unless its when i hit my 60s. LOL

The VT balconies on observation deck have the smallest balconies I have ever seen. They are French balconies and you basically can just stand out there.

Deck 4 has the deepest balconies on the ship. They are 7.5 feet deep as opposed to the usual 4.5 feet deep on all other decks. It is a quiet deck and the iron railing is not that bad if that is the best you can do. My recommendation would be to get a VD on deck 4 as they are all glass balconies.

Finally, deck 4 was real quiet and I spent time in quite a few rooms on deck 4 as my friends all seemed to congregate there and I had room 4160 over a prep area for the dining room and I never heard anything. I really like the passengers on HAL but after 3 HAL cruises (2 on Eurodam) in the last 3 years, I am ready and booked to go back on my beloved Carnival.

We love HAL and almost exclusively cruise on it. Part is for the classic style of the cruises (although this is changing a bit.) If I go on a cruise a rock climbing wall, skating rink, and mega malls are just not my idea of on vacation on the water. I want well appointed rooms, subdued and tasteful decor, good food, friendly and professional staff, and an intelligent clientele. I get all those things on HAL.

The intineraries are great IMO as well.

We are in our very early 40's and only VERY rarely are bored on ship.

This may be a different angle...

I am heading up a gay group cruise in January '11 and looked at both Carnival and Holland. My conclusion was that for a group, Carnival covered the most bases. It's hard enough pleasing 30-40 queens, and Carnival was the better value and offer over-all.

One thought came to me during the research... if it were just me and the boyfriend, we would strongly consider HAL, at least as someone mentioned, to mix things up a bit. In fact, I'm sure we will do that.

I've sailed both and like both. Hmmm... I'd be hard pressed to complain about any day at sea!

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you!!

I kind of look at Carnival as General Motors..Carnival=Chevrolet, HAL=Buick,Princess=Pontiac,Cunard=Cadillac. So you can see the differences here.

Especially HAL as being a Buick...considering the demographics. However like Buick...it is now seeking a younger buyer.

Now Cunard...as Cadillac.....cant go with that. If Caddy is the top rung in the Carnival ladder, that would have to go to Seabourn. Where Cunard falls......not sure.

I'd almost say Hummer......big, fancy, high priced but not sure it lives up to all the hype. Not putting Cunard down......but Caddy....not in my book...as Caddy has moved away from its traditional roots...Cunard embraces theirs.

But cool comparison anyway.

Archived