cell phone or Red Cross?

momoftwinteens

My hubby and I will be sailing in August and leaving our teenagers at home (closly watched). My question is this..if there was an emergency and we needed to be reached immediately, would it be better for family to try to reach us on our cell phone or go straight to the Red Cross and ask them to get ahold of the ship? Has anyone else experienced this who can give me some peace of mind?

My hubby and I will be sailing in August and leaving our teenagers at home (closly watched). My question is this..if there was an emergency and we needed to be reached immediately, would it be better for family to try to reach us on our cell phone or go straight to the Red Cross and ask them to get ahold of the ship? Has anyone else experienced this who can give me some peace of mind?

Tell them to try your cell-phone number first. Ask them that if you don't pick up or it's switched off/out of signal, they should send you a text rather than leave a voice message since while passing through areas of nil/poor signal a text needs only one chance to reach & get stored on your cell-phone.

And leave them the phone number of the ship or if that's not published, the appropriate cruise line phone number published on their website, so that a message can be sent - by radio if urgent & the ship is in a no-signal area.

For your cell-phone, I don't know the routine for dialling codes etc on or to US numbers, but make sure that they know what number to dial (on UK systems it's simply the regular number) and that you know what code/number you need to dial to return a call.

If your cell-phone has never left the US, well before you go make sure that it's not barred from international calls - a security measure to prevent misuse in case the phone is stolen, & which has to be unlocked by your provider before you leave the US.

And don't forget to take your phone charger (and plug adapter if a non-US ship), a weak signal runs the battery down much faster.

Finally, make & receive any regular calls while ashore & with a land-based signal - using the ship's satellite provider is horrendously expensive.

John Bull

All of the major cruise lines have an emergency number that goes to the main "headquarters" and those should be posted on their web site. Usually in the know before you go or the FAQ section. They will get ahold of the ship who will notify you immediately!

There should be a phone number to reach the cruise line on your cruise documents. Do you have a TA? They could also give that phone number to you, or you can probably find it on-line. Give that number to whomever is overseeing the kids, and the pertinent info regarding your cruise: ship, etc. The cruise line personnel will get you if there is a problem.

It is good to be prepared; that way you can enjoy your cruise.

Have fun!!!!

Archived