Age group for cruiseline

robinsnest64

My husband and I both 45, are interested in the Bermuda cruise in Aug. on Holland. Just wondering after reading some post are we going to be on the right cruise ship for our age group? Travel agent told me average age on this particular line is 55? Anyone been recently that could give more info?:D

My husband and I both 45, are interested in the Bermuda cruise in Aug. on Holland. Just wondering after reading some post are we going to be on the right cruise ship for our age group? Travel agent told me average age on this particular line is 55? Anyone been recently that could give more info?:D

55 is the new 45 so you're good to go! ;)

My reply would be that it depends on what you're looking for in a cruise line. To me, the age of fellow passengers really isn't a huge concern. I'm looking for excellent service, quality accommodations, decent food and the itinerary. I think on HAL, it's a more sedate atmosphere with less overt partying and excessive drinking. You can always find something to do and interesting people to meet. Depending on the particular cruise, you'll always have a different demographic. I've enjoyed HAL because they are consistently service oriented. I've never had a bad cruise on HAL!

I'm 37 and my husband is 42. We usually travel with our best friends who are 45 and 50. :)

From another Cruise Critic member, who got it from a Cruise Site which cannot be named per CC rules:

What is the average age of passengers by cruise line?

Passenger ages vary somewhat by sailing, but usually they are as follows:

Carnival Cruise Line: 0 - 45 years of age

Royal Caribbean Cruise Line: 25 - 55 years of age

Crystal Cruise Line: 55+ years of age

Celebrity Cruise Line: 35 - 64 years of age

Norwegian Cruise Line: 27 - 56 years of age

Holland America Cruises: 30 - 60 years of age

Princess Cruise Line: 35 to 65 years of age

Joanie

My reply would be that it depends on what you're looking for in a cruise line. To me, the age of fellow passengers really isn't a huge concern. I'm looking for excellent service, quality accommodations, decent food and the itinerary. I think on HAL, it's a more sedate atmosphere with less overt partying and excessive drinking. You can always find something to do and interesting people to meet. Depending on the particular cruise, you'll always have a different demographic. I've enjoyed HAL because they are consistently service oriented. I've never had a bad cruise on HAL!

I'm 37 and my husband is 42. We usually travel with our best friends who are 45 and 50. :)

Same here, on our last HAL cruise, we were 31 and 35. We got on with everybody like a house on fire, although there were very few people our age. In fact, everybody kept asking if we were on honeymoon or if we were staff. We like the quality of HAL for exactly all the reasons mentioned about.

Only 55? The children must be bringing the average down. :D

My first-ever cruise was on a HAL ship from NYC to Bermuda; I was 30-something at the time. I had a blast.

It's a matter of what atmosphere you enjoy. If you like a relaxed, refined tone, with well-traveled passengers, then you will enjoy the crowd. If you're looking for a constant party, you will not enjoy this cruise.

Remember, though, that the ship will be spending several nights in Bermuda, so there's plenty of opportunity for nightlife while there. This really becomes two separate cruises---the at-sea days to rest before/after Bermuda itself.

The Veendam, the ship that HAL will be using for Bermuda cruising, does have a night life, primarily in the Crow's Nest and epecially on those sea days to and from the islands. No one here can tell you what the average age on the Bermuda cruises is going to be for two simple reasons: HAL has not done regular Bermuda cruises in a long time and those particular cruises haven't started yet!

My wife is 39 and I am 46 and we did the Panama Canal cruise last November. The average age was about 75. We had no problems and there was always something to do. A couple of pluses, the staff seem to remember you much more and the late dining is not very full. With our cruises, the age does not seem to make a difference.

I agree completely! We are booked on the Aug 15th sailing. Also, it's summertime, so there should also be a good # of kids on board (including ours). :D

DH and I just returned from a 15 day Hawaii trip on the Zaandam. We are both 47 and we were asked CONSTANTLY how/why we ended up on that particular cruise.

I would say that the average age on our cruise was pretty far above 65.

That said, it wasn't a problem since we aren't big into nightlife and everyone we encountered was very nice.

Even if they did treat us like honeymooning teenagers.

Guest LoveMyBoxer

If you are sailing when school is out, there will be a lot of families and "younger" people on this cruise. We are in our mid-40's and LOVE HAL! We sail with our, now, 10 DS, and it is one of his favorite cruise lines. The only time that you find the "older" crowds on HAL or any other cruise line, is when it's school time or long sailings. P.S. D'Traveler, we are also on the August 15th sailing.

We have cruised with HAL in the past when the itenerary/price combination was attractive. The two factors that impact most on the age demographic for a cruise are length of the cruise and time of the year the cruise takes place.

Shorter cruises will have a younger crowd generally speaking than longer cruises. Longer cruises those consisting of 10 to 14 days or more. Many of the younger people can't get that much time off and in some cases cannot afford longer cruises.

Cruises that take place during the school year will have an older crowd for obvious reasons. There also are some non-peak travel weeks in the year. One of those periods are the weeks after Thanksgiving but before Christmas.

Because of our work schedules about the only time during the year we can go cruising for any length of time is the first three weeks of December. In one sense we are fortunate because this period often has some of the most affordable cruises. Because we like 10-14 day cruises as well we often encounter a much older average age among the passengers. This too is fortunate because the only place where I will be constantly addressed as 'Young man...' is on one of these cruises.:D

No matter how young or how old go enjoy that next cruise.

:):)

If you are sailing when school is out, there will be a lot of families and "younger" people on this cruise. We are in our mid-40's and LOVE HAL! We sail with our, now, 10 DS, and it is one of his favorite cruise lines. The only time that you find the "older" crowds on HAL or any other cruise line, is when it's school time or long sailings. P.S. D'Traveler, we are also on the August 15th sailing.

April 15th can't come soon enough! :D

I agree completely! We are booked on the Aug 15th sailing. Also' date=' it's summertime, so there should also be a good # of kids on board (including ours). :D[/quote']

D'Cruiser, are you on the Aug 15 Bermuda cruise? We picked this cruise because of so many days in port, Hope you have a wonderful trip!!

:D

It depends. If you are on a 7 day cruise during a traditional holiday or school break period, then you may bring the average age down slightly. If your cruising outside of this vacation window or if you are on a 10 day cruise, then you will see a much larger gap between your respective ages and the average age of the passenger population.

We took our first cruise on HAL in 2008 for our 20th wedding anniversary (and my 40th anniversary of a transatlantic sailing on the SSRotterdam when my family moved from the Netherlands to the States). I can't say I paid much attention to the average age of the passengers. However, it could be since it was a summer sailing (August to Alaska) there was more of a mix in ages. For our second cruise we are going in May to the Mediterranean and bringing our 3 children. Since most kids would still be in school there probably won't be many their age. Our 19 year old is finishing his 2nd year of college and he will have time off for the summer as his semester ends the first week of May. Our 17 year old graduated in January from high school and our daughter, age 10, is homeschooled. I like quiet, sedate groups of people so it is fine for me. I am thinking Carnival cruise lines would not be our cup of tea from what I have read. So even though my husband and I are "only" 42 and 46 we are quite content with the level of service and ambiance we enjoyed on the Westerdam and are looking forward to again in May on the Eurodam.;)

diane

Seriously, depends when you cruise. We've been on cruises that looked like nursing homes complete with infirmaries. But, really, I'd rather that than a ship full of unruly teenagers screaming in the hallways at l:00 A.M.

I'll never sail again in August. Freaking nightmare. I'd rather watch paint dry than sail then.

Archived