Overkill with Train and rental in Skagway?

GoBucks04

Here's the deal: family of 11 set on going on Train in Skagway, but I really would love to see the Yukon and Emerald Lake. Would it be too redundant to take the early train and then do a trip out in a rental?? We are there from 5:00am to 8:45pm-so I think its enough time??

Our last trip we booked the train. Due to elevator problems my MIL in her WC was tardy and train tour did not allow us to board. We drudged frustrated into Skagway with 8 people very dissappointed. Soon as we reached town we hit a "tour booth".

We took a van with 1 other family starting with a Skagway tour and then following along side the train route to White Pass Summit on the Klondike Highway. We stopped at waterfalls, glaciars, and a desert! We went all the way up to the Yukon and through the Canadian border and toured the Yukon Wildlife Museum, Herritage Park, and had a charming lunch at Carcross.

I got the greatest eskimo moccasins (somewheres) on route.

Our dissapointment turned into our favorite day of all!

I am sure similar trips can be explored and prebooked as an alternative.

As 11 people you would be your own "van".

Enjoy, truth is, there is no wrong choice in Alaska... ALL OF IT IS WORTH EPERIENCING AGAIN AND AGAIN!

We did both last summer and had plenty of time. If I had it to do over, I would have skipped the train and just taken the car. It was such a fun day and the sights were beautiful. Train was OK, driving was spectacular!

I'm not sure if you book a tour, or rented and van and went independent?

This is our first time to Alaska and there are 13 of us . . . the train is quite expensive but according the the group a must do. We could save a lot of money with the drive. What was the approx cost of renting van?

Thanks. Anybody else have any input on this?

My DH thinks we paid $55pp... but i honestly can't recall.

On our first cruise as an extended family we did it all together... the compromise left all frustrated...

Now we all eat dinner together. We discuss shore excursion options as a group, but only those who want in participate. It sounded at first like the others would feel left behind. They insisted they were fine with it.

Last summer I skipped a snorkel trip and had my first taste of being "the other"... I LOVED IT!

It is nearly impossable to please everyone all of the time.

I checked web search and found this site, sounds like the dame tour at $85... it has great PICS too!

http://www.southeasttours.com/yukon_discovery.html

Good luck bringing the gang to agreement. Alaska is too serene and beautiful for stress.

Does anybody know how long it would take to drive from Skagway to Emerald Lake, naturally making stops to look at some of the amazing scenery. We are not considering the train because I think my daughters (4 and 5 years old) would be bored stiff but with the car we can stop and walk around. Also, where would people recommend that we stop? Is there anything to do once you get to Emerald Lake or do you soak in the amazing scenery and then drive back to Skagway? Thanks for any info!

Does anybody know how long it would take to drive from Skagway to Emerald Lake, naturally making stops to look at some of the amazing scenery. We are not considering the train because I think my daughters (4 and 5 years old) would be bored stiff but with the car we can stop and walk around. Also, where would people recommend that we stop? Is there anything to do once you get to Emerald Lake or do you soak in the amazing scenery and then drive back to Skagway? Thanks for any info!

You can go horseback riding right by Emerald Lake--a woman named Joanie has some stables there and does a nice tour. I don't know if you can take kids as young as yours horseback riding though. If you are interested, I imagine you should book in advance. We did this with trip with an outift called Southeast Tours--they took us on van out, did horseback riding, and then they took us back. I imagine you can book the horseback ride independently too.

Here's the deal: family of 11 set on going on Train in Skagway, but I really would love to see the Yukon and Emerald Lake. Would it be too redundant to take the early train and then do a trip out in a rental?? We are there from 5:00am to 8:45pm-so I think its enough time??

When we were there with a family group of 18, we each did our own excursions, with the exception of whale watching. It made for a much nicer trip.

We are doing a lot of separate things, but the ONE thing is the Train that we are all doing together. DH and I are going with or without the rest of them in the car:) We are each doing our own excursions especially when I found out they want to do dog sledding-too rich for my blood:p

We are doing the rental car so we can take as much time as possible. I think coupled with a late dining time we will have lots of extra time to do what we want. I can't wait to take pictures of the drive out! :cool:

Erik

We are renting a car from Avis in Skagway and driving to Emerald Lake and Carcross. We are getting maps and info from AAA. I did a mapquest and it's about 120 miles (or less) one way to Emerald Lake. Ask for Lori at Avis. I can't wait.....

We are renting a car from Avis in Skagway and driving to Emerald Lake and Carcross. We are getting maps and info from AAA. I did a mapquest and it's about 120 miles (or less) one way to Emerald Lake. Ask for Lori at Avis. I can't wait.....

It is 75 miles to Emerald and forget about AAA, you need the detail of Murray's guide. http://www.explorenorth.com

Archived