Disney Magic review from first time DCL cruiser

mong1114

We are just off the Magic this weekend and here is my long, but honest, review. I can say that my family (son 8, daughter 5 and hubby) were in desperate need of some quality family time and this cruise provided that. We also got the trip for a steal. Between the good "recession" prices, a kids cruise free promotion and a free upgrade, we snagged a verandah room on deck 6 for $3300 total for the four of us. However, I think if I paid full price, I would not have been thrilled. From the beginning...

I highly recommend staying at the Hyatt Orlando Airport if you are not staying at a Disney resort. Service was impeccable, hotel was beautiful and convenient. Additionally, it is in the airport and there are many family friendly dining options if you don't want to eat at the hotel. Also, lots of cute shops (Disney, Sea World) to keep the kids entertained if you have to kill some time.

Disney transportation was convenient, but I think next time I would rent a car. It's far cheaper and I found the whole process to be disorganized, chaotic and frustrating. Tensions were running high as nobody knew where to go, there was really nobody directing people and many people missed their bus. They give you a color and character (i.e., red mickey) and you have to wait for them to call yours. Unfortunately, there is no PA system that they announce it over, just a person that waves a sign with the character on it. We had to wait for an hour before they called our character and we were there early (by 10am).

The ride is comfortable and the terminal is very nice and we walked right on the ship. Note, be sure to wear something decent because they do take pictures upon arrival and there are some characters milling around for photo ops. Additionally, it is very cute how they welcome you on board and announce your family name...my kids loved it!

The staterooms are a comfortable size and we found that the storage space is more than adequate. They have a pretty large closet (with a safe) and we were able to fit our large suitcase on the floor. Our small suitcases and garment bag fit nicely under the bed. There is a large steamer trunk that we fit all of the kids clothing in and many drawers and shelves as well. We didn't pack light and had more than enough room to spare. The split bathroom is a great idea and allowed us to get ready quickly. The hairdryer is basically useless; fortunately, I had read a post that recommended bringing your own. I definitely recommend this as well, but found it odd that the outlets in both bathrooms accommodate low voltage shavers only. I had to dry my hair in the main cabin. Additionally, we (my family and the family we were travelling with) found the rooms to be a bit on the warm side. Even at the coolest setting, when we were all in the room getting ready we ended up sweating before we made it out of the room. The only time we were truly comfortable temperature-wise was when we were sleeping.

We were extremely disappointed in the dining. The food was just awful on this ship and I couldn't wait to get home today to get a good meal!!! I don't have a lot of cruising experience, but I can tell you that when we cruised on RCL Voyager of the Seas 7 years ago, the food was much better. DCLs food was very greasy and mediocre at best. We tried most of the options, including all of the dining rooms, Topsiders, and the options on Deck 9. I will say that our dinner at Palo's was terrific and I highly recommend it. It's a shame all of their dinners can't be that good! We had a good meal one night (short ribs) but other than that I hated it and my husband (who is very easy to please) was not impressed. Certain "kid foods" such as the macaroni and cheese were deemed inedible by the kids. Breakfast was particularly disappointing...the "Belgian" waffles were soggy Aunt Jemima type waffles that appeared to be microwaved, French toast was chewy, etc. We quickly learned to request special order omelets from the omelet station (oh, and they do have Krispy Kreme donuts which we can no longer get here in NY!!!). The selection of fresh fruit was also pretty good.

I was most surprised by the quality of service in the dining rooms, or lack thereof. Let me preface this by saying our servers were very nice and that is the reason we did not complain. The assistant server was relatively new (4th cruise) and he was so sweet and trying hard, so we didn't want to be too hard on him. He was also terrific with our children. However, the main server (also nice) has made a career of this and had over a dozen years experience in the cruise industry. Most of the time, I felt like I was at Friendly's, with the meals all arriving at wildly different times. Never did the meals arrive at once. I'm not talking about minutes here...most of the times the kids were completely done eating before we had started. When we complained and requested they be served at the same time, they accommodated this request for one night and then it was back to the kids being finished before we had even been served. Another example...one night the kids all ordered fruit appetizers. The server came out with 2 (instead of 4) plates and never returned with the others. I could maybe see if we ordered 2 fruits and 2 soups, but they all ordered the same thing!!! This is just one example, but there were dozens. Very disjointed and chaotic and we didn't really understand why since they only had 2 tables of 8.

Also, what is up with the fake butter and whipped cream?!?!

But...we ALL (children and adults alike) loved the Mickey Bars!!! Also nice was the free cheese platter we had delivered by room service that we enjoyed with a glass of wine while getting ready. BTW...Disney posts signs "No Alcohol" when embarking the ship, but we had 3 bottles (on the recommendation of other posters) and they never said a word.

Pools were very crowded and dirty too (with the exception of the Adults only area). It was a few days into the cruise before I realized there was an image of Mickey at the bottom of the family pool...the water was so murky you could barely make it out! As my friend pointed out, if we were staying at a local hotel, we probably wouldn't have even let our kids swim in it! I was also surprised that there was no lifeguard.

Evening entertainment was terrific and some of it was Broadway caliber. We particularly enjoyed the Disney Dreams and the show on the last night (can't recall the name). Unfortunately, we didn't really get to enjoy the adult shows as our kids are younger and we were in the room with them late night. The Pirates In the Caribbean party was fantastic and the kids had a blast! It was also nice that my children got to enjoy Alice In Wonderland. Character meets are well organized and plentiful...the kids got most of the signatures they wanted. Tip: Be sure to bring a mat for a frame and leave at guest services when you board the ship. They will have the characters sign it and it will be delivered to your stateroom on your last night. This is a tip I picked up on this board and one that it seems not a lot of people are aware of.

The staff was wonderful and very helpful. When we booked Palos, we were only able to get a reservation for 2 at 6 and another at 8:30 for the couple we were travelling with. With everything going on, I forgot to request a change when we got on the ship and only remembered Sunday night. When we called (thinking we'd be told we were too late), they eagerly accommodated our party of 4 at 7pm on the same night we originally booked it (Tue). We also had a great experience with Dawn in the gift shop. When my daughter excitedly told her she lost her first tooth at dinner but expressed concern at the tooth fairy finding her on the ship, Dawn reassured her and sent a Magical Moments certificate to the room with a Tinkerbell pin.

My biggest disappointment was the Oceaneer's Lab and Club. I had heard so many great things about it and was told by many that my kids would love it so much they wouldn't want to leave. Of course, I assumed it would be terrific because, after all, it is Disney! My children are extremely easy to please and are pretty much happy with anything, as long as they are doing something. We dropped them off for a Magic Show and to make Flubber while we grabbed brunch and were extremely surprised when we were beeped during our meal because the kids wanted to be picked up after a little more than an hour. All four kids complained it was boring and begged us not to send them back. We actually had to bribe them to go back so we could eat at Palo. We also had an extra day at sea (Castaway Cay was cancelled...bummer!) and the weather was not good, so we put them in the club for an hour and a half while we visited the spa. They didn't really do much more than color while they were there. My friend and I poked our heads in a few times while we were about the ship and it always seemed very low key, with kids playing board games and coloring or using the computers on their own.

All in all, the trip was worth it because we had some down time and overall we did enjoy ourselves. Of course, my kids had a blast and that is what is most important. However, I wouldn't rush to do another Disney cruise; for my family, the Disney parks are probably a better option.

Thanks for taking the time to offer your views on your cruise. This is what makes a forum like Cruise Critic work where all reviews, the good, the bad, and the ugly are offered and companies that monitor the boards will take heed and fix problems that seem to arise. Wishing you and yours only the best cruises in the future.:)

I too was on this specific cruise, but had a completely different experience.

Let me preface by saying that I never believed in "needing" a family vacation prior to this trip. Growing up we never took vacations, so I really didn't realize what I was missing. However, after this trip I want to do it again.. Not just again, but DCL!!!!

While there can be little things that can be picked apart, as a whole the trip was incredible! I had an incredible time at dinner. Our head server (Sudama) was the best! He interacted not only with the kids, but with the adults as well. The fact that he would order for me nightly (knowing my likes and dislikes) was icing on the cake. The kids really took to him and his personality. Even the Stateroom cleaner was phenominal. My 4 year old would ask where "Aldo" was daily and "what animal is Aldo making today?" He would make special animals for my son and this meant a lot to him, as did it with my wife and I.

The customer service as a whole was just top notch! I could go on and on, but don't have enough time. I can say that by reading this board prior to the cruise was a HUGE help!!!! I took many of the tips from this board and saved myself a TON of money (such as taking alcohol on the ship, getting self service drinks, etc...)

If there were any cons, it was the following:

When you initially arrive to "board" the ship, you must check in. While you are checking in, it is suggested that your spouse go check into the kids club. I couldn't understand for the life of me why there were so many agents to check you into your room, but only 5 or 6 to check you into the kids club. The line for this was atrocious and not too fun with hungry and tired kids. Seems like there could be a better way!!!!

Kids pool was rather small. Kids all over each other. Not supposed to "reserve" seats, however people would reserve blocks of seats and then go off for the day and come back whenever they pleased...

Castaway Cay being canceled was a real bummer... Would have been nice to try to hit another "port" rather than milling around the middle of the ocean. Not sure what this would require, but would be something if they could do it....

And last but not least... Experience at Hard Rock Cafe in the Caymans.. This was an absolute JOKE of a restaurant.. Anyboday that is looking to eat there, shop there, etc... should beware!

All in all a great trip. Looking forward to booking another!!!!

Jeff in Ohio

What did Disney offer as compensation for missing Castaway Cay?

I'm quite certain they offered exactly what the contract requires - - nothing!

Every cruise line contract goes to great lengths to emphasize that the line cannot and will not be responsible for itinerary changes caused by weather or, for that matter, almost every other cause imaginable.

It's a risk you take and accept when you sign up for a cruise. Folks who are not willing to accept the possibility of changes need to consider some other type of vacation.

Let me preface by saying that I never believed in "needing" a family vacation prior to this trip. Growing up we never took vacations, so I really didn't realize what I was missing. However, after this trip I want to do it again.. Not just again, but DCL!!!!

While there can be little things that can be picked apart, as a whole the trip was incredible! I had an incredible time at dinner. Our head server (Sudama) was the best! He interacted not only with the kids, but with the adults as well. The fact that he would order for me nightly (knowing my likes and dislikes) was icing on the cake. The kids really took to him and his personality. Even the Stateroom cleaner was phenominal. My 4 year old would ask where "Aldo" was daily and "what animal is Aldo making today?" He would make special animals for my son and this meant a lot to him, as did it with my wife and I.

The customer service as a whole was just top notch! I could go on and on, but don't have enough time. I can say that by reading this board prior to the cruise was a HUGE help!!!! I took many of the tips from this board and saved myself a TON of money (such as taking alcohol on the ship, getting self service drinks, etc...)

If there were any cons, it was the following:

When you initially arrive to "board" the ship, you must check in. While you are checking in, it is suggested that your spouse go check into the kids club. I couldn't understand for the life of me why there were so many agents to check you into your room, but only 5 or 6 to check you into the kids club. The line for this was atrocious and not too fun with hungry and tired kids. Seems like there could be a better way!!!!

Kids pool was rather small. Kids all over each other. Not supposed to "reserve" seats, however people would reserve blocks of seats and then go off for the day and come back whenever they pleased...

Castaway Cay being canceled was a real bummer... Would have been nice to try to hit another "port" rather than milling around the middle of the ocean. Not sure what this would require, but would be something if they could do it....

And last but not least... Experience at Hard Rock Cafe in the Caymans.. This was an absolute JOKE of a restaurant.. Anyboday that is looking to eat there, shop there, etc... should beware!

All in all a great trip. Looking forward to booking another!!!!

Jeff in Ohio

Don't get me wrong, all in all it was a great time and my children loved it. But, my background is in the hospitality industry and I have a tendency to notice every little thing. Our stateroom attendant, Mario was terrific. But it sounds as if your dining experience was much different than ours! The servers were very nice, but the service just was not there. It was not one major thing, but lots of little annoying things... meals coming out at wildly different times, kids meals coming out so early they were done before we started (despite the fact we asked them to bring them out together), forgotten appetizers, incorrect drinks...seemed that it was always something!!!

We did not have the same check-in experience as you had. We pretty much walked right through security, up to the line where they take your picture and right on to the boat. We did all of our check-ins for the kids club, etc. online prior to the cruise, which I believe saved us a lot of time.

I agree 100% with the pool comments. Little swimming going on there because nobody could move! And it was annoying to me as well that all the lounge chairs were saved bright and early but remained empty most of the morning.

I was so bummed about Castaway Cay. I understand the risk you take with a cruise, but in speaking with other people on the ship, I heard from quite a few cruisers that they had been on multiple Disney cruises and had still never been to Castaway Cay. It makes you wonder if they are quick to cancel it because people will be more inclined to rebook because they want to see it?!?!? Seems strange that that is always the port that gets cancelled. Besides they said the storm missed the island, but it was windy and the sea was a bit rough. It was the same way on the day at sea.

In the end, I am not sorry I took the cruise because we did have a great time. I just don't think it is worth the premium if you pay full price, or if your kids are too old to enjoy the characters. In our instance, with all of the promotions we got, we paid $3300 for 2 adults/2 kids in verandah room, so it was worth every penny! I'm glad you had a better experience overall than we did! icon7.gif

Just a note about dinner service.

It is my understanding that they will try to serve the children first which a majority appreciate. I know I am that kind of person. I would rather my son to be served before I am. That way we can enjoy our family time, I know what he has eaten and, if we desire, he can go to kids club for an hour or so so that my husband and I can have some time together.

So, I have a feeling, they assumed that is what you wanted. They shouldn't have assumed.

I was so bummed about Castaway Cay. I understand the risk you take with a cruise, but in speaking with other people on the ship, I heard from quite a few cruisers that they had been on multiple Disney cruises and had still never been to Castaway Cay. It makes you wonder if they are quick to cancel it because people will be more inclined to rebook because they want to see it?!?!? Seems strange that that is always the port that gets cancelled. Besides they said the storm missed the island, but it was windy and the sea was a bit rough. It was the same way on the day at sea.

Castaway Cay is a BIG selling point for DCL. Its one of the exclusive features of a DCL cruise that keeps people coming back. I'd be real surprised if there was some Disney conspiracy to intentionally miss it. :cool:

Unfortunately, outside of Orlando and Anaheim, Disney can't control the weather (yet).:rolleyes:

I too was on the same cruise. My reviews are mixed. It was my first Disney Cruise, overall my second cruise, first being on Princess last year. The food was awesome, our stateroom was clean and our stateroom hostess was awesome. Customer service wasn't always so great. Food service at dinner and room service were both slow. Cancelling Castaway Cay was such a huge disappointment and its what I remember the most. My next cruise will be on Princess.

All the cruise lines frequently cancel their private islands. Remember the Magic got stuck at CC a few weeeks ags due to the wind. We have had a very cold windy winter down here in sunny Florida and the Bahamas share our weather.

Just a note about dinner service.

It is my understanding that they will try to serve the children first which a majority appreciate. I know I am that kind of person. I would rather my son to be served before I am. That way we can enjoy our family time, I know what he has eaten and, if we desire, he can go to kids club for an hour or so so that my husband and I can have some time together.

So, I have a feeling, they assumed that is what you wanted. They shouldn't have assumed.

That is what we figured, that most people preferred to have their kids fed first. In our case, when they were done, they were chomping at the bit to go have fun elsewhere and didn't want to wait for us to eat. So we addressed it on the second night, asked them to please bring the kids food with ours. They did on the third night, but after that they were back to bringing the kids food (super) early. It's those types of little things that disappointed us.

Why do cruise lines frequently cancel their private islands?

Berthing at the Castaway Cay wharf requires a transit through a long and fairly narrow channel cut into limestone. You can see it on Google Earth. There is no turning basin so the ship must either back in or out through the channel. This is a difficult thing for any ship even with thrusters and made more difficult because of the large superstructure (called "sail" for obvious reasons) on the ship. Therefore, the Master has to determine if if is not only safe to transit to the island but if it will be safe to leave 10 hours later. The consequences of error can be catastrophic.

Other lines tender their passengers in to their islands and that also can be dangerous loading people of all shapes, sizes, ages and levels of fitness into small boats pitching and rolling in the chop.

You probably hear more about cruise ships missing their private islands because those are often a highlight of the cruise. You don't hear a big fuss made when they miss say, Nassau.

Berthing at the Castaway Cay wharf requires a transit through a long and fairly narrow channel cut into limestone. You can see it on Google Earth. There is no turning basin so the ship must either back in or out through the channel. This is a difficult thing for any ship even with thrusters and made more difficult because of the large superstructure (called "sail" for obvious reasons) on the ship. Therefore, the Master has to determine if if is not only safe to transit to the island but if it will be safe to leave 10 hours later. The consequences of error can be catastrophic.

Other lines tender their passengers in to their islands and that also can be dangerous loading people of all shapes, sizes, ages and levels of fitness into small boats pitching and rolling in the chop.

You probably hear more about cruise ships missing their private islands because those are often a highlight of the cruise. You don't hear a big fuss made when they miss say, Nassau.

Just to add that even if a ship makes it into a dock, private island, scheduled stop or even anchors to tender,with the sail area as mentioned above, a ship will tend to roll at the pier (see the Magic report on a different board where guests said that the Magic came home with a lot of paint missing on her starboard side, from rubbing the pier buffers all night)which can also damage a ship, or if shes at anchor, even with the thrusters and anchors, a ship will swing to a certain degree at anchor,before the thrusters can get it back under control.The more wind or higher waves, the more exagerated the movement.Theres a lot more thought and reasons that goes into the "shoud we or shouldnt we dock or tender"debate than its sunny lets go.Safety of the ship and passengers are the number 1 concern of all cruiselines.

Unfortunately, outside of Orlando and Anaheim, Disney can't control the weather (yet).:rolleyes:

Oh man, it has rained every time I have been to WDW but it was gorgeous everyday on our cruise. Perhaps they can only control a small area of weather for short time and have to split it between parks and cruises.

Seriously, do you honestly think Disney intentionally skips CC? That is happens more often than not? My guess is people are really bummed when they miss so are more likely to mention it. Is there somewhere we can go to find the statistic of missed vs made stop at CC?

Oh man, it has rained every time I have been to WDW but it was gorgeous everyday on our cruise. Perhaps they can only control a small area of weather for short time and have to split it between parks and cruises.

Seriously, do you honestly think Disney intentionally skips CC? That is happens more often than not? My guess is people are really bummed when they miss so are more likely to mention it. Is there somewhere we can go to find the statistic of missed vs made stop at CC?

LOL! I guess maybe if they get Oprah on board, they could control the weather at the parks AND on the cruises!!!

Seriously, I understand the reasons they don't go to Castaway Cay and would rather be safe than sorry, but it is still disappointing nevertheless!!! If it is to difficult to get in and out of the port and the weather is so iffy because it is the Bahamas, maybe they should have found a better place to buy an island...LOL!

I would love to find the statistics of how often they miss CC just out of curiosity. I can tell you that several people on the cruise mentioned how CC was cancelled on previous cruises, but nobody said any other ports were. Like I said, one woman said this was her third Disney cruise and she has still never been to CC because that is the port that always gets cancelled! That's some bad luck!!!!

Seriously, I understand the reasons they don't go to Castaway Cay and would rather be safe than sorry, but it is still disappointing nevertheless!!! If it is to difficult to get in and out of the port and the weather is so iffy because it is the Bahamas, maybe they should have found a better place to buy an island...LOL!

They didnt have too much choice on the Island location.If you havent seen it already, watch the Travel Channel show on the Disney Cruiseline. Tom Mcalpin, the then president said that when they choose CC, they had only 3 criteria.

1.It had to be available

2.It had to be beautiful

3.Most importantly, it had to be within 250 miles from Port Canaveral

They drew a 250 mile circle from PC, and there was only 3 islands that fit the bill.The first 2 didnt impress the original team, but what is now CC fit the bill perfectly.Saw something the other day that out of the entire 1000 acre island, only 5% is actually devleoped.

I was on the cruise as well out of 9 DCL cruises it was my first time missing Castaway Cay, I was not bummed about it at all lol, love those sea days:). And a sea day meant hangging out on the ship with new great friends and talking with DJ Mowgli and David and the rest of the awesome cruise staff. Can't wait for my next cruise, the cruise was the best one I have ever taken:D:cool:

Is it me or does it seem like DCL misses CC more lately than they used to? Perhaps it's the El Nino or something like that, or maybe they are just more cautious than they were in the past, I don't know.

It's too bad that they don't' have a tender based there so they could anchor the ship further out and tender people on and off when the weather isn't cooperative for the larger ships to dock. If they added $2 to each cruise fare it would easily pay for the cost of the tender in under two years. After the initial capital outlay they could reduce it to $1 per passenger to cover the cost of crew, fuel, and maintenance.

We are headed on the Dream next year, and while we would be disappointed to miss CC, we'd just enjoy the day at sea instead. We've learned to roll with the punches when traveling and we try to always have a backup plan if plans change for reasons beyond our control.

Is it me or does it seem like DCL misses CC more lately than they used to? Perhaps it's the El Nino or something like that, or maybe they are just more cautious than they were in the past, I don't know.

It's too bad that they don't' have a tender based there so they could anchor the ship further out and tender people on and off when the weather isn't cooperative for the larger ships to dock. If they added $2 to each cruise fare it would easily pay for the cost of the tender in under two years. After the initial capital outlay they could reduce it to $1 per passenger to cover the cost of crew, fuel, and maintenance.

We are headed on the Dream next year, and while we would be disappointed to miss CC, we'd just enjoy the day at sea instead. We've learned to roll with the punches when traveling and we try to always have a backup plan if plans change for reasons beyond our control.

I think since after they got stuck they will be a little more cautious when going to Castaway Cay or any port, not that it matters to me, I got for the ship not the ports, sure I was bummed about not going to Castaway Cay, but it is what it is. I am hoping when I go on the Dream we miss it, for my Dream cruise I'm deff going for the ship and not ports:)

Thank you for your review. It sounds as tho you (adults) didn't have the best of times and that the food wasn't up to par for Disney. Sorry you had this experience..I will pray that my first cruise will be better all the way around.

Truck1, I've never seen that special. It sounds very interesting, I will have to look for it!

Marla, I kind of roll with the punches too and wouldn't have minded if they cancelled any other port. But when we have heard so much about Castaway Cay and it is our first Disney Cruise, that is the last port we wanted to miss! Everyone says it is the best port of all!!!! Of course, I'd rather we be safe, so it is what it is, but we were all bummed because we will probably never see it now!

Noahdove...please don't get the wrong impression. We had a terrific time and the family time....and the fact that our kids absolutely loved it..was priceless. The overall experience was very good and we built memories that will last a lifetime. There were just a few relatively minor things that we were unhappy with, namely the food and the dining room service. But not everyone had the same experience as us and I think it was luck of the draw! And, of course, food is a very personal issue...what is good to one might be terrible to another! I certainly do not regret it. Now the flight back to NY on Saturday in the middle of a Noreaster with up to 75 mile an hour gusts and our plane being thrown around like a toy plane...that's another story!!!! LOL!

Truck1, I've never seen that special. It sounds very interesting, I will have to look for it!

Marla, I kind of roll with the punches too and wouldn't have minded if they cancelled any other port. But when we have heard so much about Castaway Cay and it is our first Disney Cruise, that is the last port we wanted to miss! Everyone says it is the best port of all!!!! Of course, I'd rather we be safe, so it is what it is, but we were all bummed because we will probably never see it now!

I just looked on the Travel Channel where I normally see it, but dont see it listed in the near future.I remember that it was on I think last weekend or the weekend before.Plus a few days before that.The best I can say is keep looking.Theres actually several shows that feature 1 or both of the DCL ships.Theres also a book that goes thru a lot of things that the show doesnt.Like the decision making process that went on as well as a lot of the designs that were discarded.Ill say that some were absolutley wild.

1.Disney Cruise Line, which is the 1 I was talking about.It also has several interviews with the planners and the bigwigs of DCL.

2.Samantha Browns Disney Cruise, in which she takes a cruise I think on the Wonder, and trys out more than a few things on the ship.

3.Cruising Dos and Donts.This one jumps from cruise line to cruise line, and all tastes and walks of life from the super elagant, to family to sailing ships.

4.Seasons of Disney does a short segment on the cruise line, inside the show.The whole show is an hour.

As far as your particular cruise goes, dont let it get you down on DCL.

Ive been on more than a few DCL cruises and can honestly say Ive had great service in both the rooms and meals and have had mediocre, and less than average.The best advice I can give someone, in your situation, is give them a second shot.Id say the same thing about Princess or RCL or NCL or any one else.

Simply put, with everything going on at DCL at the moment, Im not surprised at the seemingly lackluster dinners and service.Granted that there are a lot of servers and assts,Id wager that youre going to see more of that in the coming months as new staff is trained for the Dream and Fantasy to get some experience under there belts.Its luck of the draw.

(not making excuses or defending DCL)

One for the things Ive learned, especially with DCL, if you dont like something, ask for another.Theyll be more than happy to bring it to you.The way you want it.For the most part,there salaries(tips)depends on it.(Most of the time.Every once in a while you get someone haveing a bad cruise)I actually watched our waiter one night, cover my ex wifes grandmothers food, and send it to her room via room service when she got sick at dinner.

Jeff in Ohio

Theres a good reason that checkin happens that way.The CMs that check you into the ship, are all shore side personell.DCL can throw as many people as they think they need, to check you into the ship.The Cms, that check into the kids clubs, are ship based.Theres only so many onboard to not only get things set on the ship, and be ready for the tours, and kids coming in,and also do the shoreside check in, but also being able to get some time off to do things like go shopping on shore, or run errands, pay bills etc.

Its also one of the reasons that we get to the terminal as soon as it opens so we are one of the first inline to get our kids checked in.

As far as the pool, both ships were on a learning curve,when built.Theres only so much space and room on a ship.The 2 new ships now were actually first announced back in 2000.They were supposed to correct some of the issues that were found on the Magic class.Like the pools, bigger midships elevators, things like that.Time will tell if they did.I hope they did.At some points in the day its hard to get a midship elevator.

Archived