No shore excursions available on the cruise at all, can this be right??

sherri3802

:eek:Recently booked a cruise- P&O ship the Pacific Dawn.

One week cruise, starts out in Brisbane, goes to the Whitsundays, Cairns and Port Douglas then scenic cruising past Willis island.

Even got $150 on board credit thrown in, and were told we could use this on anything such as purchases, drinks, shore excursions booked through P&O etc

Just went to the personaliser to have a look at the available shore excursions and it says

No shore excursions are available on this cruise.:eek:

You have to be kidding me.

I did look up shore excursions on Princess some time ago, for this area, just to get a rough idea and I am sure they had heaps.

Please, is there anyone who has done this cruise and who can tell me for sure-Are there really no shore excursions available to eg Great Barrier Reef, around Cairns, Daintree etc?

And if this is so-I am open to suggestions on how other people organised these things to fit in with ship times.

Private operators, anything.

Any suggestions/ideas would be welcome.

Hi, it is on sept 25th 2010.

I guess I just like to be organised.

I felt a bit freaked out to see none listed.

I guess I could organise something myself but there is all that $150 OBC burning a hole in my pocket ;)

I guess I could organise something myself but there is all that $150 OBC burning a hole in my pocket ;)

Ah yes, it's a bit early for shore tours, to far out for them to know exactly what tours they'll be offering. Shore tours usually become available on Cruise Personaliser around the time tickets are issued - about 8 weeks prior to the cruise. In the days before you could book tours through cruise personaliser, the booking forms came out with your tickets.

There should be several shore tours available, but it pretty easy to do it yourself. From Cairns/Port Douglas tours would include the sky/rail to Kuranda, one to Green Island Low Islands or the Barrier Reef and usually one to Mossman Gorge. From the Whitsundays they usually offer one to the reef.

I suggest you go onto the P & O website and click on "already booked", then click on "destination guide", then "Australia". You will see the ports in alphabetical order. This will show you the shore tours usually available. I think you can bet they will be available on your cruise also.

Yeah I am organise freak too. I think it is a little far off to put up the excursions yet, others will post to let you know. Have a great cruise, if you go to Kuranda you won't be disappointed. My sister has finally cracked today and said she will go on a cruise but only up the qld coast with me to see how she likes it, so I am looking at the 10/7/10, so if I book this week I will ask about shore excursions and let you know.

Ahh, thanks everyone.

I was soo upset, couldn't believe nothing was on offer.

Thankyou, Austraveller, I will go and have a look at the destination guide.

I should be organising housework instead of worrying about destinations this far out from the cruise, but you know how it is.:p

I do love to have a browse at things.

You have all relieved my mind anyway. I WILL be able to find something to spend my $150 on after all.:)

Not that that was ever in doubt.:D

Meant to add- I would love to hear how you get on, wildweston

Trust me Sherri, that $150 will go in a flash :( A few cocktails and BAM its gone. Even if you dont drink, you`d be lucky to get 1 decent shore tour with the money. My suggestion is join a roll call for the cruise, get to know some people and do something with them. You are also fortunate enough that this is an Australian cruise, so `googling` things and ringing the operators will give you a good idea of just how much money you can save. We did a similar cruise with Princess last year and the average cost of a tour was anywhere from about 60% to 200% dearer by doing it on the ship as opposed to orginising it yourself...anyway hope you have a lovely time :)

PS Although we were with Princess, our shore tours became available about 100 days prior to sailing

Archived