Is this too much for one day ?

We will be arriving in Vancouver on a Monday in June , staying at the Pan Pacific, and boarding the ship on Wednesday. We are thinking of renting a car at Pan Pacific/National for 1 full day (Tuesday) to visit Stanely Park, Grouse Mnt. and Cap. Bridge/Tree Top Adventure. Is that too much for one day? We can get started early and return car late early evening.

There is also a tour we can take, but it seems like in the end it could be more $$ to take the tour (plus we would not be able to do things on our own schedule). However, we would not need to worry about driving if we did the tour.

Any pros/cons with renting a car vs. tour ? Are there particular times of day to avoid (rush hour) when going over Lion's Gate ?

Thanks!

We will be arriving in Vancouver on a Monday in June , staying at the Pan Pacific, and boarding the ship on Wednesday. We are thinking of renting a car at Pan Pacific/National for 1 full day (Tuesday) to visit Stanely Park, Grouse Mnt. and Cap. Bridge/Tree Top Adventure. Is that too much for one day? We can get started early and return car late early evening.

There is also a tour we can take, but it seems like in the end it could be more $$ to take the tour (plus we would not be able to do things on our own schedule). However, we would not need to worry about driving if we did the tour.

Any pros/cons with renting a car vs. tour ? Are there particular times of day to avoid (rush hour) when going over Lion's Gate ?

Yeah, there's a lot against taking a car; parking and bridges are the big two. For $9/ea you can buy a day pass to the city bus/subway/seabus system, which will get you to all of those places, without the parking hassles that they all have. From the Pan Pacific, walk 2 blocks east (it's literally the 2nd big building on your left as you exit the pan pacific), you can catch the SeaBus; a small passenger ferry to North Vancouver, and on the other side get off, and get on the #236 and go straight to Grouse Mountain and it passes the Cap suspension bridge on the way. Parking is really bad at the Capilano suspension bridge, but the #236 stops right outside. Depending on bridge traffic, this is normally just as fast, if not faster than driving.

In fact, if you really want to save some money, when you land at YVR, go down to the 7-11, and buy a book of 10 two-zone transit tickets ($28.50), and use the 1st two to get from the airport to downtown (again, 2 blocks from Pan Pacific), on the brand new subway line. Each ticket is good for 90 minutes, so transfers are included. That $28.50 would cover you;

- Airport - Downtown (x2)

- Downtown - Capilano (x2)

- Capilano - Grouse (x2)

- Grouse - Downtown (x2)

- Downtown - Airport (x2)

but $28.50 wouldn't even cover a taxi from the airport.

Vancouver has an awesome, clean, fast, safe public transit system, which is faster than driving (and I take it every day to downtown to avoid driving...)

map: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=100934763039761071004.000467645fcda21dd87b2&ll=49.287515,-123.037605&spn=0.088791,0.264187&z=13

Yeah, there's a lot against taking a car; parking and bridges are the big two. For $9/ea you can buy a day pass to the city bus/subway/seabus system, which will get you to all of those places, without the parking hassles that they all have. From the Pan Pacific, walk 2 blocks east (it's literally the 2nd big building on your left as you exit the pan pacific), you can catch the SeaBus; a small passenger ferry to North Vancouver, and on the other side get off, and get on the #236 and go straight to Grouse Mountain and it passes the Cap suspension bridge on the way. Parking is really bad at the Capilano suspension bridge, but the #236 stops right outside. Depending on bridge traffic, this is normally just as fast, if not faster than driving.

In fact, if you really want to save some money, when you land at YVR, go down to the 7-11, and buy a book of 10 two-zone transit tickets ($28.50), and use the 1st two to get from the airport to downtown (again, 2 blocks from Pan Pacific), on the brand new subway line. Each ticket is good for 90 minutes, so transfers are included. That $28.50 would cover you;

- Capilano - Grouse (x2)

- Grouse - Downtown (x2)

Vancouver has an awesome, clean, fast, safe public transit system, which is faster than driving (and I take it every day to downtown to avoid driving...)

map: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=100934763039761071004.000467645fcda21dd87b2&ll=49.287515,-123.037605&spn=0.088791,0.264187&z=13

One thing for people with kids to remember when renting cars is that there are strict booster seat laws, and even if kids are too big for a carseat, you might need a booster seat up to age 9. I think they are about $5 per day to rent from the car rental places.

http://www.icbc.com/road-safety/drivers-passengers/childseats-new.pdf

I want to second the vote for our public transit system. Although Vancouver is easy to get around in, parking is hard to find and expensive, and it is quite a task to watch for cyclists, who are everywhere.

We were talking to two reporters during the Olympics who got such a kick out of the Vancouver habit of thanking bus drivers as one exits the vehicle. They had just watched a group of five goth kids each politely call out their thanks as they left.

Viv

- Capilano - Grouse (x2)

- Grouse - Downtown (x2)

Wow, thanks Scottbee - that is a lot of great detailed information. It is great to get advice from people who actually live in Vancouver! One thing that may or may not be of concern with taking the bus system for us is that one person in the family is in her 80's and does not wish to walk a great deal - so my concern would be getting to the SeaBus station and then once off the SeaBus, getting to the #236 bus, etc. But, perhaps it is only a very short walk to get to each point along the way? Having a car would allow her to stay put if she did not want to get out and do any walking. That is why we were considering the car rental or a tour such as Land and Sea.

If we did the bus system, from what understand, you are saying we can take this bus and get off at either Grouse Mountain or the the Capilano suspension bridge in any order, allowing us to hop back on to go see the other? Does this bus go round trip?

Also mentioned in my original post is that we would like to drive around Stanley Park that same day - so if we do not rent a car, I am not sure how to do that. The Stanley Park Shuttle service may not be providing that service anymore this summer due to budget cuts (they emailed me back with that bit of info), so I not sure how best to see all the great spots of Stanley Park. Any thoughts there?

I probably have a bunch more questions I would like to ask you - but I will save them for another post.

Thanks so much!

One thing for people with kids to remember when renting cars is that there are strict booster seat laws, and even if kids are too big for a carseat, you might need a booster seat up to age 9. I think they are about $5 per day to rent from the car rental places.

http://www.icbc.com/road-safety/drivers-passengers/childseats-new.pdf

I want to second the vote for our public transit system. Although Vancouver is easy to get around in, parking is hard to find and expensive, and it is quite a task to watch for cyclists, who are everywhere.

We were talking to two reporters during the Olympics who got such a kick out of the Vancouver habit of thanking bus drivers as one exits the vehicle. They had just watched a group of five goth kids each politely call out their thanks as they left.

Viv

Sally, thanks for your advice about the booster seat. My daughter is tall 8 year old, so I will need to inquire about the booster seat if we do rent a car. She does not need one anymore where we live here in Colorado.

Just how bad is the drive over the bridge? It would be a weekday, but we could avoid the rush hours....

Thanks much.

What you have proposed can be easily handled in a day with the rental car. I commuted over the Lions Gate Bridge for most of my 40 year business career and would suggest that you avoid the period northbound before 9:30 am and southbound from about 4 pm until 6pm. However having said that, volumes in the summer months are much lighter and there is no reason ...short of an accident on the bridge that the crossing in either direction will take more than 20 mins in the peak commute hours. However as pointed out, do check on the booster seat....as a grandparent our closets seem full of child seats and booster seats.

Dear Cruzden

I travel all the time with my Dad who is 88 and he now finds the long walks as we tour too tiring so we use a wheel chair. As you are staying at the Pan Pacific ask the hotel if they have a wheel chair you can borrow for hte day. We have done that often and fidn that most 4* hotels have one for their guests.

Further at both Capilano Suspension Bridge & Grouse Mountain thesre is a lot of walking involved but everywhere here is pretty wheel chair friendly. The only place that you might have problems is the actual suspension Bridge.

Having said this the walk from the Pan Pacific to the Sea Bus would be long for an 80 yr old. It is a fairly short walk from the Sea Bus to the bus on the other side. From the bus to the entrance of both Grouse Mtn & Capilano Suspension Bridge is very short the walking will be once you are inside.

Dear Cruzden

I travel all the time with my Dad who is 88 and he now finds the long walks as we tour too tiring so we use a wheel chair. As you are staying at the Pan Pacific ask the hotel if they have a wheel chair you can borrow for hte day. We have done that often and fidn that most 4* hotels have one for their guests.

Further at both Capilano Suspension Bridge & Grouse Mountain thesre is a lot of walking involved but everywhere here is pretty wheel chair friendly. The only place that you might have problems is the actual suspension Bridge.

Having said this the walk from the Pan Pacific to the Sea Bus would be long for an 80 yr old. It is a fairly short walk from the Sea Bus to the bus on the other side. From the bus to the entrance of both Grouse Mtn & Capilano Suspension Bridge is very short the walking will be once you are inside.

BCHAPPYGAL..looking to say hello but don't have your email

knitpurl at hvc dot rr dot com

please drop me a line

What you have proposed can be easily handled in a day with the rental car. I commuted over the Lions Gate Bridge for most of my 40 year business career and would suggest that you avoid the period northbound before 9:30 am and southbound from about 4 pm until 6pm. However having said that, volumes in the summer months are much lighter and there is no reason ...short of an accident on the bridge that the crossing in either direction will take more than 20 mins in the peak commute hours. However as pointed out, do check on the booster seat....as a grandparent our closets seem full of child seats and booster seats.

Putterdude, I like your golf-themed name.... Thanks for your comments on the commute and the times to avoid. So, perhaps, if renting a car would this seem like a workable plan:

Leave Pan Pacific at 9:30 and head for Stanley Park. Visit there for 2-3 hours (including the aquarium, drive around the park, maybe lunch there), then head over Lions Gate to Grouse Mtn. Would 3 1/2 hours be enough at the Grouse Mtn area to do tram, suspension bridge, treetops ?? That might get us back before the worst of the rush hour. On the bright side, if we do get stuck in traffic, we won't be late for anything.

We still have a bit of time to finalize plans, but it sure is nice getting advice from the locals!

Thanks!

i have let the locals tell how easy it is to travel around.. i walked from the pan and bakc to the park but never walked the whole thing.

i will tell you in mid july it was hot but when i went up the mts the temp dropped and i with i has my sweatshirt. i was in shorts and a tank top with a blouse but by 6 or 7 you needed more.

if you feel like spending for dinenr eat at sails at the hotel. .dinner is one of my top ten dinners in the world. when you order tea or coffee you should see what comes with it.

Dear Cruzden

Hi BCHappyGal, I appreciate your advice on the fair amount of walking that is involved at the Capilano Suspension Bridge and Grouse Mountain. It is my Mom who is in her early 80's, and often times when we travel she is happy just to find a nice place to sit and watch or read. She is not quite at the wheel chair stage, but I do know she does not long walks. Perhaps coming from Colorado where the altitude is higher, she might have more stamina in Vancouver (?) She's all for renting a car - though the rush hour makes planning a bit tricky.

Again, it is very nice getting advice from you and others who know the area so well.

One other question- as we will have about a half day on the day we board the ship, what are your thoughts on the Hop-on/Hop-off trolly? We thought that might be a fun way to see other sites such as Granby Island.

Thanks!

i have let the locals tell how easy it is to travel around.. i walked from the pan and bakc to the park but never walked the whole thing.

i will tell you in mid july it was hot but when i went up the mts the temp dropped and i with i has my sweatshirt. i was in shorts and a tank top with a blouse but by 6 or 7 you needed more.

if you feel like spending for dinenr eat at sails at the hotel. .dinner is one of my top ten dinners in the world. when you order tea or coffee you should see what comes with it.

ellbon, you have me very intrigued about eating at Sails and what comes with the tea !

Have you done the "treetops" at Capilano? It sounds fun - well, for my 8 year old anyway! She loves climbing trees, so this would seem right up her alley. How long does it take to see it? When does it start to get dark at Grouse Mtn in late June?

Thanks!

Putterdude, I like your golf-themed name.... Thanks for your comments on the commute and the times to avoid. So, perhaps, if renting a car would this seem like a workable plan:

Leave Pan Pacific at 9:30 and head for Stanley Park. Visit there for 2-3 hours (including the aquarium, drive around the park, maybe lunch there), then head over Lions Gate to Grouse Mtn. Would 3 1/2 hours be enough at the Grouse Mtn area to do tram, suspension bridge, treetops ?? That might get us back before the worst of the rush hour. On the bright side, if we do get stuck in traffic, we won't be late for anything.

We still have a bit of time to finalize plans, but it sure is nice getting advice from the locals!

Thanks!

I should probably change my name to "A Directionally Challenged Putter". but that aside.

I would suggest leaving the Pan Pacific as early as possible ..... at 1,000 acres in the park there is a lot to see in fact even as a lifetime resident I have not seen all of the park. Maybe budget about 4 hours for the park with what you want to see. You probably should allow about 20 to 30 mins to get from the park to the Capilano Suspension Bridge and then about 2 hrs for it. From the bridge to the to the Grouse Mountain Skyride is only a short 10 mins (closer to 5 mins) but I would want to spend a full 2 or more hours up on Grouse Mountain. Now all of that will put you in traffic southbound over the bridge in traffic but you are on vacation and it is not the end of the world if it takes 30 mins or so to get across. Now if I may just offer one more word to the wise...if you can't see the top of the mountain....don't bother going up, you wont see a thing when you look back towards the city. If the weather is inclement then I would recommend heading for the Science Centre and Granville Island where you will be under cover.

I should probably change my name to "A Directionally Challenged Putter". but that aside.

I would suggest leaving the Pan Pacific as early as possible ..... at 1,000 acres in the park there is a lot to see in fact even as a lifetime resident I have not seen all of the park. Maybe budget about 4 hours for the park with what you want to see. You probably should allow about 20 to 30 mins to get from the park to the Capilano Suspension Bridge and then about 2 hrs for it. From the bridge to the to the Grouse Mountain Skyride is only a short 10 mins (closer to 5 mins) but I would want to spend a full 2 or more hours up on Grouse Mountain. Now all of that will put you in traffic southbound over the bridge in traffic but you are on vacation and it is not the end of the world if it takes 30 mins or so to get across. Now if I may just offer one more word to the wise...if you can't see the top of the mountain....don't bother going up, you wont see a thing when you look back towards the city. If the weather is inclement then I would recommend heading for the Science Centre and Granville Island where you will be under cover.

Putterdude, this is really quite helpful and useful advice!

4 hours in the park seem like a lot of time - but then, there is much to see. Would you recommend the kids area's within the park? I believe I saw a picture of a little train that my daughter might like. Any advice on which place would be better for lunch - Stanley park, or Grouse Mtn/Capilano area ?

If the weather is overcast, I like the idea of Granville Island - is that an easy commute in a car? (I think I called it Granby Island in an earlier, my bad).

Thanks again.

Wow, thanks Scottbee - that is a lot of great detailed information. It is great to get advice from people who actually live in Vancouver! One thing that may or may not be of concern with taking the bus system for us is that one person in the family is in her 80's and does not wish to walk a great deal - so my concern would be getting to the SeaBus station and then once off the SeaBus, getting to the #236 bus, etc. But, perhaps it is only a very short walk to get to each point along the way? Having a car would allow her to stay put if she did not want to get out and do any walking. That is why we were considering the car rental or a tour such as Land and Sea.

If we did the bus system, from what understand, you are saying we can take this bus and get off at either Grouse Mountain or the the Capilano suspension bridge in any order, allowing us to hop back on to go see the other? Does this bus go round trip?

Also mentioned in my original post is that we would like to drive around Stanley Park that same day - so if we do not rent a car, I am not sure how to do that. The Stanley Park Shuttle service may not be providing that service anymore this summer due to budget cuts (they emailed me back with that bit of info), so I not sure how best to see all the great spots of Stanley Park. Any thoughts there?

I probably have a bunch more questions I would like to ask you - but I will save them for another post.

I fully understand the not wanting to walk situation, but I really think you'll end up doing quite a lot of walking with a car. Parking is pretty easy at Grouse, but it's a pretty big mess at Capilano suspension bridge. I have friends that live nearby, and the two parking lots for the bridge fill up quickly, and people are parking blocks away to see the bridge.

As for the transfer of seabus, it's pretty much off seabus, and on the #236, maybe a 100 yard walk. If you visit google maps, you can actually plan transit trips just like driving directions, just select "By Transit" on the left hand side. The transit system (Skytrain/Bus/Seabus) work on 90 minute tickets, so if your old one is still valid you can use it, otherwise you need a new ticket. (All Day tickets are $9, one zone tickets $2.50, two zone $3.75). I can understand the walk to/from the Seabus being a little awkward, but you'll end up paying quite a lot more by having a car, and I don't think you'll save that much walking due to lack of parking.

If you look at the map I linked in the original post, it shows the #236 bus route, it passes right by Capilano suspension bridge, on the way to grouse mountain (and back again).

To put it in perspective, the longest walk (excluding strolling through Stanley Park) would be Pan Pacific to Seabus, and that's probably not much more than the length of a cruise ship.

Putterdude, this is really quite helpful and useful advice!

4 hours in the park seem like a lot of time - but then, there is much to see. Would you recommend the kids area's within the park? I believe I saw a picture of a little train that my daughter might like. Any advice on which place would be better for lunch - Stanley park, or Grouse Mtn/Capilano area ?

If the weather is overcast, I like the idea of Granville Island - is that an easy commute in a car? (I think I called it Granby Island in an earlier, my bad).

Thanks again.

Within Stanley Park there is of course the Aquarium but also the miniture railway and a petting zoo...however as of right now the future of the petting zoo is a bit in doubt due to budget issues (what's new). link

For lunch there is an Earl's restaurant just over the Lions Gate Bridge on Marine Dr. on your way to the North Shore attractions....it is a bit hard to get into as it is on the north side of the road but does have good meals. There are places to eat at the CSB but if it is a nice day you would probably enjoy eating up on the mountain looking down over the city.

Yes it is an easy drive from the Pan Pacific to Granville Island....it will take less than 10 mins and there is lots of parking there. link

PD knows way more about the park but i was only in there about 2 hours. i really got into watching the kids run thru a water park and had lunch watching them.. i also enjoyed walking around some flower gardens. i ddi make it to hte Totem Poles but never got deeper into the park.

i might walk again from pan and start on the sidewalk longer and see more of it.

Idid the treetop thing. i was on a tour that gave us over an hour for the bridge etc.. i think 90 minutes is about right.

The mt- i went hiking with other people and skipped most of the lumberjack show.

look at the land and see tour that does this.. i went to dinner after that.

I have not gone yet.. my plan is to take the ferry over on Saturday and have lunch- come back and walk more. .do dinner that night at Sails. if the surprise is the same is was great and you will not need a real desert.

Aqua Riva - Spirited Waterfront Fine Dining in Vancouver BC Canada - Home

PD i think mention this place- it is on my dinner list- most likely the bsar for a drinks and starters.

i got up one morning and went to the pool for an hour. . then went to Chinatown-did Dr lee's garden, then lunch and pictures of the cool shops- then walked to the Pan.. later did the L&S tour

this time i like on Friday i like to go back to Chinatown for lunch and on Saturday go to grandville . i do plan on the park but that might be Friday too.. i want some pool time to chill. Sunday i am going to Whistler for 2 nights.

I fully understand the not wanting to walk situation, but I really think you'll end up doing quite a lot of walking with a car. Parking is pretty easy at Grouse, but it's a pretty big mess at Capilano suspension bridge. I have friends that live nearby, and the two parking lots for the bridge fill up quickly, and people are parking blocks away to see the bridge.

As for the transfer of seabus, it's pretty much off seabus, and on the #236, maybe a 100 yard walk. If you visit google maps, you can actually plan transit trips just like driving directions, just select "By Transit" on the left hand side. The transit system (Skytrain/Bus/Seabus) work on 90 minute tickets, so if your old one is still valid you can use it, otherwise you need a new ticket. (All Day tickets are $9, one zone tickets $2.50, two zone $3.75). I can understand the walk to/from the Seabus being a little awkward, but you'll end up paying quite a lot more by having a car, and I don't think you'll save that much walking due to lack of parking.

If you look at the map I linked in the original post, it shows the #236 bus route, it passes right by Capilano suspension bridge, on the way to grouse mountain (and back again).

To put it in perspective, the longest walk (excluding strolling through Stanley Park) would be Pan Pacific to Seabus, and that's probably not much more than the length of a cruise ship.

Hi Scottbee - it sounds like bus system is a very good way to get around. I appreciate your advice. Does the bus system go through Stanley Park? That was one of our key places to see on the same day as the Grouse Mountain area... We thought having a car would allow us to drive through the park to see the sites that are of interest to us, then head on to Grouse Mountain. If we do the bus system to Grouse Mountain area, I am not sure how we could tour through Stanley Park. I thought about a taxi to Stanely Park then utilize the shuttle there, but after contacting the company that runs the shuttle it unfortunately seems that service is going away due to budget cuts (how sad!). The hop-on/hop-off trolly does not seem to go to all areas of Stanley park that we would like to see (though I have not ruled that out). I am not crazy about renting a car and fighting traffic and it is more $$. We are just not sure how to do it all in one day!

Thanks again.

I have not gone yet.. my plan is to take the ferry over on Saturday and have lunch- come back and walk more. .do dinner that night at Sails. if the surprise is the same is was great and you will not need a real desert.

Aqua Riva - Spirited Waterfront Fine Dining in Vancouver BC Canada - Home

PD i think mention this place- it is on my dinner list- most likely the bsar for a drinks and starters.

i got up one morning and went to the pool for an hour. . then went to Chinatown-did Dr lee's garden, then lunch and pictures of the cool shops- then walked to the Pan.. later did the L&S tour

this time i like on Friday i like to go back to Chinatown for lunch and on Saturday go to grandville . i do plan on the park but that might be Friday too.. i want some pool time to chill. Sunday i am going to Whistler for 2 nights.

What is the best way to get to Chinatown to see Dr. Lee's garden from Pan Pacific? What about taking a taxi and would there be taxi's ready to pick you up outside of Dr. Lee's garden? One last question, how much time does one need there?

Thanks!

What is the best way to get to Chinatown to see Dr. Lee's garden from Pan Pacific? What about taking a taxi and would there be taxi's ready to pick you up outside of Dr. Lee's garden? One last question, how much time does one need there?

Thanks!

i taxi there.. walked around chinatown and walked back.. i wanted more time in chinatown and taxi one eay. i had an afternoon tour to Grouse mt etc.

to be honest the taxi driver thought it was strange that i taxi there since it isabout a 15 minute walk.. if you need to taxi -then walk back thru gastown. i jus asked someone and they pointed down hill and off i went. guess i was in the area about 90 minutes including lunch and the gargen.

i would walk there and back or walk one way- remember it is open to 9 i think. summer hours. plenty of places to eat there. i would walk until you got tired- stop and smell the roses and walk back.

you will be so busy taking picturesthe time will fly by.

It's about a 20 min walk from the Pan Pacific and you can take a bus or SkyTrain but in each case you are going to be walking thru a fairly seedy area of the city. A taxi fare is going to run you about $10 each way. There will not likely be a cab waiting to pick you up but I am certain that the gardens will call one for you. link

Hi Scottbee - it sounds like bus system is a very good way to get around. I appreciate your advice. Does the bus system go through Stanley Park? That was one of our key places to see on the same day as the Grouse Mountain area... We thought having a car would allow us to drive through the park to see the sites that are of interest to us, then head on to Grouse Mountain. If we do the bus system to Grouse Mountain area, I am not sure how we could tour through Stanley Park. I thought about a taxi to Stanely Park then utilize the shuttle there, but after contacting the company that runs the shuttle it unfortunately seems that service is going away due to budget cuts (how sad!). The hop-on/hop-off trolly does not seem to go to all areas of Stanley park that we would like to see (though I have not ruled that out). I am not crazy about renting a car and fighting traffic and it is more $$. We are just not sure how to do it all in one day!

Thanks again.

The #19 goes part way into Stanley Park, but doesn't do the 'full loop'

http://www.translink.ca/~/media/Documents/Maps/Transit%20System%20Map/Vancouver_Effective_01Mar2010.ashx

It really depends what you want to see in the park, but understand that most of the park isn't really drivable anyway, just the loop around the outside. It's the walking trails that make the park great.

It's about a 20 min walk from the Pan Pacific and you can take a bus or SkyTrain but in each case you are going to be walking thru a fairly seedy area of the city. A taxi fare is going to run you about $10 each way. There will not likely be a cab waiting to pick you up but I am certain that thegardens will call one for you. link

PD

i walked on the waterfront past restaurants and boats etc.. it was very safe in 06. has it changed since then?? ifi had been hungry i would of had a drink and an app in one of the places.

Archived