Leaving Balcony Door Open

tjeanty

Hi Cruisers!

Last year, on the Victory, we had a balcony, and we left the balcony door open for about 5 minutes, and an alarm sounded off. I thought that the balcony door can be left open at any time; is this not true? This year, we will be sailing again, and I want to leave my balcony door open! I love the ocean breeze! Has anyone experienced this? Can the balcony be left open?

Balcony alarm? Thats a first for me. You sure it was coming from your door? Did it go off once you shut it?

Yes, the steward immediately came to our room. I asked him, and he said that we couldn't keep it open. I was upset because my PVP told me that we could keep the door open; that was one of the main reasons I booked the balcony because of the air I knew would come in at night.

Hi Cruisers!

Last year, on the Victory, we had a balcony, and we left the balcony door open for about 5 minutes, and an alarm sounded off. I thought that the balcony door can be left open at any time; is this not true? This year, we will be sailing again, and I want to leave my balcony door open! I love the ocean breeze! Has anyone experienced this? Can the balcony be left open?

OK. You love the ocean breeze. You can enjoy that on your balcony, and up top.

Leaving a balcony door is a fire hazzard, as well as letting all the sea salts and humidity into the bedding, rug, and is corrosive on the metals.

Sounds great that they finally got wise and installed timing devices.

Last year, we had a balconey on the Glory and if we were in the room, we'd use a bungee cord to hold the door open, this included all night when we slept. Nothing like hearing the ocean and the fresh air while sleeping.

OK. You love the ocean breeze. You can enjoy that on your balcony, and up top.

Leaving a balcony door is a fire hazzard, as well as letting all the sea salts and humidity into the bedding, rug, and is corrosive on the metals.

Sounds great that they finally got wise and installed timing devices.

And distrupts the A/C flow throughout the cabins on the cooling loop.

And distrupts the A/C flow throughout the cabins on the cooling loop.

Not only the cabins, but the hall. You can always tell if you're walking past a cabin that has its balcony door opened.

You can also tell which cabins are smoking pot.

have not had this problem on the Elation or Splendor. Don't have a balcony on the Paradise in three weeks so I can't tell you about that ship.... :(

Sounds strange to me. I understand the air conditioning the ocean but you can turn it down or off. I too like the fresh air in the cabin....

Not only the cabins, but the hall. You can always tell if you're walking past a cabin that has its balcony door opened.

You can also tell which cabins are smoking pot.

I too enjoy having the balcony door open on occation. Do you really go on vacation and worry about if you are disruptiong the 'A/C Loop' of the ship? There MUST be something better to think about while you are enjoying your vacation then coolant systems and longterm metalurgic decay. Perhaps have a Drink of the Day or 10 and relax.

I always book a balcony & we NEVER leave the door open for any period of time. We open it to go onto the balcony :D, and open it to go back into the cabin.

A long time ago, on this forum, I read a thread that clearly indicated that leaving one's balcony door open plays havoc with the AC system. I refuse to play a part in having my (already $$ pricey) cruise fare increased so that the cruiseline can put a ship into drydock to repair an AC system.

And Mr.Pete's post about sea salt & humidity damage is a point well taken.

I too enjoy having the balcony door open on occation. Do you really go on vacation and worry about if you are disruptiong the 'A/C Loop' of the ship? There MUST be something better to think about while you are enjoying your vacation then coolant systems and longterm metalurgic decay. Perhaps have a Drink of the Day or 10 and relax.

Your neighbor with asthma that can't stand the pot smoke might thank someone for thinking of them and not interupting the ac loop.

I hate to be hot, why is your open balcony and vacation enjoyment more important than mine?

Sorry but people have lost the art of caring about one another and embraced the "it's all about me" way too much.

Balconies are wonderful to sit on, perhaps drag your bedding onto the balcony if you like to sleep out there.

Also remember that if something catches fire out there the doors are fire resistant and therefore a fire hazard to leave open.

Always leave the balcony door open at night, have the ac turned off, and have never had a problem nor been asked not to leave it open.

I sometimes open a window in a hotel too or leave a door open to the veranda at night.

Yeah, I can think about all the times my old man lectured me on how AC costs money. Thanks for pissing everyone's money away by leaving your balcony door open all night. Way to be a Goofus.

Archived