Booked a Guarantee, Got an AFT Bal - Good or Bad

I did a D2 guarantee on the Splendour of the Seas, Med cruise April 17th. I checked yesterday and I was assigned 6130, which is an Aft balcony.

I have read a lot of reviews and it appears there are mixed reviews on Aft balconies.

Please give me your best reason to keep the room or call and request a change.

thanks,

Jason

I was going to post that Deck 6 doesn't even have balconies, but that's on Vision & Rhapsody, not Splendour.:) If you like an oversized balcony with room for a couple of lounge chairs (fully reclining), then you've hit pay dirt. My only concern would be that there's a crew deck below you, and if they're having a party you will have a front row seat. We had 8080, the corner aft JS on Deck 8, and I do recall a little bit of noise.

I'm not sure how the views would be from there, since the back deck does just out more than on some of the other Vision class ships. I'm guessing that they wouldn't be fabulous, but don't really know.

While I have never been on the splendor I can say with authority that aft balconies are really great! WE had aft balconies on both Mariner and Freedom and LOVED them. We are now booked in an aft on Serenade and are really excited. YOU got really lucky and as the saying goes "Once you go aft you'll never go back".....you will be hooked like we were. We use to book insides, and atrium cabins and finally sprung for an aft and were totally in love with the extra balcony space, you can have a lounge chair out there and still have room for another chair and a table! You were blessed! MJN

We were on deck 7, I think 7126 , anyhow the port "corner" cabin and it was wonderful. Quiet, big deck, and had a wonderful breakfast out there in Key West. So then we booked one on HAL and it was great also. joyous

Wow.... and I considered myself lucky when I was able to move to an E1 hump from a balcony guarantee!!! I have not sailed your particular ship, but I have sailed aft numerous times and absolutely love the view (and sounds) of the wake. I consider your guarantee placement terrific!!

Here is a shot from an aft balcony leaving Dominica last year. If this appeals to you at all, I believe you will enjoy the aft:

Dominica061.jpg?t=1268695203

In my opinion, Sail aways take on a whole new meaning from the aft.

Happy sailing,

Cheryl :)

I did a D2 guarantee on the Splendour of the Seas, Med cruise April 17th. I checked yesterday and I was assigned 6130, which is an Aft balcony.

I have read a lot of reviews and it appears there are mixed reviews on Aft balconies.

On the first item, there seem to be more people that like the afts than dislike, and normally they're in demand, so I think you've done well. However, I don't understand the entire logic of the thread here. You booked a guarantee cabin class rather than booking a specific cabin in order to save money; and now that you have second thoughts about the room you've been assigned, you want RCCL to change it? Isn't that the point of the guarantee booking class, that RCCL, not you, get to chose, and by giving up that right, you save money.

On the first item, there seem to be more people that like the afts than dislike, and normally they're in demand, so I think you've done well. However, I don't understand the entire logic of the thread here. You booked a guarantee cabin class rather than booking a specific cabin in order to save money; and now that you have second thoughts about the room you've been assigned, you want RCCL to change it? Isn't that the point of the guarantee booking class, that RCCL, not you, get to chose, and by giving up that right, you save money.

Perhaps so, but RCI will let you change cabins within the category they have assigned you. Since most (if not all) of the balcony cabins on Splendour are D-1s, the OP might have other options if s/he doesn't like the responses to the query.:)

OP, the only other possible drawbacks are that some people have reported soot (you can wipe it off, and if your balcony is covered there won't be much, anyway), and the movement on the stern of the ship is more pronounced than midship. But I would be very happy with that cabin and would take seasickness meds before I'd give it up.:D

IMHO you are very lucky and if you have never sailed in an aft you should experience it!! Radiance class have the best aft cabins in my opinion. Good luck and happy sailing!!:)

I would take this cabin in a heartbeat. I have had aft balcony's on all classes except FR and the Vision class balcony is wonderful. Had the whole CC group on the balcony on Rhapsody through the Panama Canal that is how large it is....do not pass it up .....and I have never had a problem with soot. Enjoy, you will never look back, sorry............ AFT. ;)

Scott:

Prior to booking the guarantee I spent plenty of time on CC and all information pointed to the fact that if the room was not what I wanted I had the ability to contact RCCL and see if there were another cabin in the same price category to change to. It does not mean they have to, but the opportunity exists.

My desire was not to screw RCCL or get something for free, but I am sure RCCL has a handfull of cabins they assign to guarantees and moving me (if available) would not cause them any grief otherwise they would not allow it.

Thanks to those that actually answered the question asked. Your responses have given me plenty to be excited about...

Honestly...I think OP is really just gloating

Not only are they going on a cruise BUT they booked a guarantee and got assigned an aft balcony.

They're just rubbing it in

:D:p

Ain't that the truth..... Love love love aft balconies...... never encountered soot.

thanks,

Jason

Never had one but from what I've read here on cc - they are awesome!

I have my hopes up for one in 2011:D

Archived