Avenida Palace or H1898?

We are staying one night pre-cruise in Barcelona in June. We have been to Barcelona before but not at either of these hotels.

My question is....Which would you chose for only one night?

I know that H1898 has favorable reviews and it looks lovely. But, because we are only there one night, I am afraid that we will be paying for amenities that we will not have time to use. Avenida Palace is about half the price right now, and although it looks nice,( and seems like it is in a good location?) am I going to be completely disappointed that I didn't splurge for the H1898? Thoughts?

Has anyone stayed in one or both that can help me make up my mind?

We are staying one night pre-cruise in Barcelona in June. We have been to Barcelona before but not at either of these hotels.

I know that H1898 has favorable reviews and it looks lovely. But, because we are only there one night, I am afraid that we will be paying for amenities that we will not have time to use. Avenida Palace is about half the price right now, and although it looks nice,( and seems like it is in a good location?) am I going to be completely disappointed that I didn't splurge for the H1898? Thoughts?

Has no one stayed at either of these?

:D I have not stayed at either, but a large group (16+) from our Brilliance roll call has organized a happy couple of hours plus a Tapas crawl down La Ramblas..........figuring that the return trip might very well be on hands and knees, we opted for the convenience of 1898, directly on Ramblas.

Besides, the picture of their grotto like pool suggests an inviting place to start curing the hangover before heading to the ship around noonish. Yes it is a bit more, but they have rooms in several price points, and besides, how often are you going to be in Barcelona? Go for it;)

:D I have not stayed at either, but a large group (16+) from our Brilliance roll call has organized a happy couple of hours plus a Tapas crawl down La Ramblas..........figuring that the return trip might very well be on hands and knees, we opted for the convenience of 1898, directly on Ramblas.

Besides, the picture of their grotto like pool suggests an inviting place to start curing the hangover before heading to the ship around noonish. Yes it is a bit more, but they have rooms in several price points, and besides, how often are you going to be in Barcelona? Go for it;)

Hey Hockeyken we are also from Toronto and will be in Barcelona the first week of June (sailing on the Celebrity Century) Is this your first Med cruise? We have been to Barcelona before but we stayed at the Rivoli which was ok for a bed and shower but, nothing special really. I think you're right, we are probably going to splurge this time around (No teenage kids with us this time) I just have to try and justify $300/night Cdn as opposed to $150/night Cdn to my DH...lol

Hello--I remember you from the roll call board (I am on your cruise). Avenida Palace has a 92E special for the one night that you need. That special includes an automatic upgrade to a SUITE and also includes their breakfast buffet for 2. You can only find that hotel deal at http://hotels.travelzoo.com/international-hotels/773298 . We would take that deal in a heartbeat but we are arrive 2 days before, and June 1st is a black out date for the hotel deal. So, June 2nd will work for you if you want to jump on this deal. You must book it by March 31st. Good luck!

We are staying at the Avienda Palace precruise in May. We saw some very good reviews of it here on CC and also the reviews on AX- where we booked it. Seems nice especially for 1-2 nights, good rates and yes we will enver use the amenities of the Hotel 1898

Hello--I remember you from the roll call board (I am on your cruise). Avenida Palace has a 92E special for the one night that you need. That special includes an automatic upgrade to a SUITE and also includes their breakfast buffet for 2. You can only find that hotel deal at http://hotels.travelzoo.com/international-hotels/773298 . We would take that deal in a heartbeat but we are arrive 2 days before, and June 1st is a black out date for the hotel deal. So, June 2nd will work for you if you want to jump on this deal. You must book it by March 31st. Good luck!

Thank you so much for the heads up...my decision just became very easy...lol....yes we are on the same cruise. Have you signed up for the connection party? So where have you decided to stay for your 2 nights pre-cruise? It might be worth it to book at Avenida for 1 night and another hotel for another. Great deal...

Thank you so much for the heads up...my decision just became very easy...lol....yes we are on the same cruise. Have you signed up for the connection party? So where have you decided to stay for your 2 nights pre-cruise? It might be worth it to book at Avenida for 1 night and another hotel for another. Great deal...

We are staying at the Hotel Jazz. Got a great rate (booked a number of months ago). Would rather stay at one place for the pre cruise and not have the hassle of switching hotels each day. Glad you were able to jump on the Avenida deal. We will stay there one night post cruise before we head home.

• 11 months later...
We are staying at the Avienda Palace precruise in May. We saw some very good reviews of it here on CC and also the reviews on AX- where we booked it. Seems nice especially for 1-2 nights, good rates and yes we will enver use the amenities of the Hotel 1898

Saw your post that you were staying at the Avenida Palace Hotel. We are thinking of booking it for our fall cruise . Would appreciate any info you have on it. Was it nice and how was the location? We will be in Barcelona for 21/2 days pre-cruise. Is it convenient for getting to most of the important sights? Also, any good restaurants you might recommend? Thanks.

I have never stayed at the Hotel 1898 - if I'm going to pay that price there are others that I would choose. but I HAVE stayed at the Avenida Palace - only reason we weren't there last time is they were doing renovations. They were great when we were there - great service - close to everything - what more can anyone ask? I'd take it over 1898 any day especially for one night.

Archived