Carnivial and Jax?

Anyone know where Carnvial and Jax stand on a permanent agreement? I was looking on their site, and it doesn't show any cruises out of Jax past next April.

Are they having a problem with port agreements? Didn't know that but when I look at the Jaxport terminal schedule they have Facination sailing out of there to the end of May 2011

I was actually going to look for one in May, and the last Carnivial shows is in April. I can't imagine they won't work something out to keep a ship there.

Help me out I have been out of the loop for over a week, what is going on with Jaxport agreements?

The port has Facination booked at the port the time you are wanting (but CCL website does not) Are they changing ships?

There are rumors that Carnival is tired of waiting on Jaxport to build a terminal on the other side of the bridge to allow larger ships to dock there. Apparently the yahoos running the city are allowing the residents of the run-down Mayport area (where the new terminal would be located) to stand in the way of building the new terminal. The residents do not want tourists coming into the area and claim that a cruise terminal would "destroy the quaint fishing village of Mayport," rather than clean up an oversized fish camp.

Anyway, it's a very hot political debate that the mayor doesn't want to touch, so chances are JaxPort will cease to exist in the very near future. :(

Also of note is that Carnival still hasn't released ALL of the 2011 sailing info yet. The rumors are the remaining schedules will come out at the end of this month/beginning of next month. There are no sailings out of Galveston, Charleston, New Orleans, or Mobile listed after April 2011 yet but I doubt you'd find anyone on these boards that would believe that Carnival WON'T be sailing out of those ports in May 2011 and beyond.... :rolleyes: Patience is all that is needed at the moment, not undue worrying... :D

Carnival's contract with Jax ends in May 2011:

http://jacksonville.com/business/2009-06-29/story/carnival_jaxport_extend_deal_for_jacksonville_terminal

"Beyond May 2011, Jacksonville officials still have decisions to make about cruises. JaxPort must demolish the cruise terminal to clear the property for construction of a planned Hanjin Shipping cargo terminal. The Port Authority owns land in Mayport where it could seek to build a new terminal. But the board decided earlier this year to defer any decision until after pushing forward on the Hanjin terminal.

The two-year lease with Carnival is possible because the timeline for building Hanjin's terminal has slipped. Originally, the target date for opening the terminal was by the end of 2011, but that has dropped to around mid-2013. The port does not have a firm timeline for the Hanjin construction, which still needs design and permits, but the cruise terminal would likely have to be dismantled a year before the terminal opens for business, said JaxPort spokeswoman Nancy Rubin.

That would require demolishing the current cruise terminal around mid-2012."

Um Lady Jag, I don't agree with all of your comments. There are commercial fishermen in Mayport who deserve the right to keep making a living. I have nothing against a cruise terminal in Mayport. I do shake my head at the thought of a HUGE parking garage blocking the Saint John's River. The garage could be moved. I'd love to be able to take large ships from here, but not at the expense of losing all the tidal areas.

We just recently booked a cruise on the Fascination (leaving out of Jacksonville) for January 8th. Should I be concern?

Nope. No worries. Carnival's contract is through May 2011.

I sailed the Carnival Miracle out of Jax back in the day. The first time she sailed under the bridge, they had someone on top of the funnel with some sort of measuring stick...clearance was like 6 feet. :eek:

The Miracle is bigger than the Fascination, I think. The Miracle is a Spirit class ship, and I believe the Fascination is a Fantasy class.

I work in the transportation field, and another thing that's going on that never seems to get mentioned is the widening of the Panama Canal. Once the project is completed, JAX will be the first port when ships exit on the eastern side that will be able to handle post-Panamax ships.

I think JAX is more interested in the lucrative freight business than the accomodations that need to be made in order to haul cruise passengers.

I did the Fascination cruise back in Jan. of 2009 and really enjoyed it. I was dismayed when the new cruise terminal got voted down, but understand the concerns of the residents of Maytown.

Roz

Savannah is the second busiest freight port on the east coast, so I don't know how much interest they have in developing cruise ship business. Although Savannah is a lovely city, airfare tends to be rather expensive in comparison to the Florida ports.

Roz

The Miracle is bigger than the Fascination, I think. The Miracle is a Spirit class ship, and I believe the Fascination is a Fantasy class.

It is certainly bigger, but that doesn't necessarily mean it is significantly taller. Maybe it's bigger because it's longer and/or wider, not taller.

Archived