2 optionals in 1 day?

cbb

Is it possible to take 2 optionals in 1 day? We are taking the Scan. Splendors cruise and will be taking Oceania optionals in St Petersburg (we are usually "on our own" travelers) and would like to take a couple of the 1/2 day tours but are unsure if O will let us sign up for a morning tour then an afternoon tour at St P. (My husband is not comfortable signing up for private tours in St P.) Thanks for any help you all can give.

I don't know if anything has changed, but when we did the same cruise 3 years ago, we were told we could not book two tours in one day. Therefore, we booked a private guide for the 3 days, and it was the highlight of the trip!

I have never tried two tours in one day on Oceania, but I'm surprised they would not let you do it -- after all, you're paying for it, and why should they care about how you spend the morning hours while waiting for the afternoon tour? If, for some reason, you don't make it back from the morning tour on time, they will still charge you for the afternoon tour...that's the risk you take, not them.

If they would not let me sign up for two tours on the same day, assuming there is sufficient time between them (Regent says one hour), I would politely question the decision and take it to a higher authority, such as the general manager.

I have taken two tours in one day on Regent - where they are included, and I didn't have to pay for them.

There is so much to see in st P,its a pity to miss some sights.I would def consider doing a private tour there.There are very many good options.We have been there several times and done private as the ship ill not let you sign up for 2 in one day.They told us becaue there can be delays getting on/off.enjoy this wonderful city.

You could probably save more time by booking a full day tour.

You do not have to return to the ship & start off again wasting sightseeing time

They probably take you around the city again to get to the site of the 2 tour.

Think about a private tour or book a full day tour.... save some stress and make the most of your time in SPB

Lyn

There are several reputable private tour operators in St. Petersburg. The one we used last summer (Alla) was very responsive to e-mail questions prior to the tour. We took a 3 day tour which was excellent, much better and much less expensive than comparable ship tours would have been. They didn't ask for any payment until I think midway into the 2nd day of the tour. We paid in cash (dollars) to take advantage of a small cash discount and because we didn't feel comfortable using credit cards in Russia.

If you go to the Baltics forum on the Ports board, there are numerous threads about St. Petersburg tours and tour operators. If you go to the roll call for your cruise you may find a group looking for another couple for a tour.

I appreciate all of the suggestions re: private tours but it seems to be a no go for one of us. We are considering O "Classical St P" which is an all day, the Best of Moscow (I know we are in for a long day) and then day 3 we would be interested in Peterhof which is 1/2 day and then, if permitted, one of the canal cruises just so I can get into the canals. Some of our best pix have been from being on the water . (Wales canal boat, Copenhagen harbor cruise,& sailing into Rhodes spring to mind) We are still in the planning stages so all options are still on the kitchen table! Thanks for the suggestions--I too believe that if Oceania wants the $ they can arrange for more than 1 tour in the day....or should!! (especially in these iffy economic times....I'd think they would want our $!) We are still having "kitchen debates" (sorry, I was a history teacher!) over Moscow trip.

On our Baltic tour those who went to Moscow said it was a long flight and very little time to see the sights. The did not recommend it.

As to private tours, we used Red October and were more than pleased. Remind the "no go" person that Oceania contracts with local tours in each port so they will still be on a Russian tour even if they take the ships tour.

I believe Red October now had a US representative it that helps.

I know DH said that private tours were a "no go," but perhaps he ought to go on the Ports of Call section and read a bit of the postings. Ship's tours will be on large, slow buses, and you have to wait for the slowest person each time you stop. You will also move at the slowest pace. If you hook up with four or six people on CC and arrange or go in with them on a private tour, you will cover much more ground, and you can add extras, i.e. we were told to see a subway station and our guide took us down and we rode to another one and back, and they were spectacular; and we were told that if we liked caviar to go to the Grand Hotel for the caviar bar, etc.

The tour companies are very reputable, Denrus, Alla, Red October, etc., all get great reviews, and we used shoretrips.com and they contracted with TJ Tours over there -- we had a phenomenal guide. Being in a small van, we covered ground quickly, and did a lot. We were able to stop for lunch at a pie shop -- these are very large "pies" which are more like large calzones or stromboli that they slice up, and there are meat, fish and fruit pies all of which were excellent. The guide helped us order, and then paid in rubles and had us pay her back in dollars. She did the same thing at Peterhof, and we were able to have a nice lunch in the rather small dining room there. There is just an awful lot to see, and moving slowly won't help much.

We did add a ship's tour to go to the ballet one evening.

I don't think I heard anyone from a ship's tour rave about it, and most people who used private tours raved about the time they had.

The big ones are very reputable, and know their business. They are professional and safe. For instance, when we went down to the subway, our guide cautioned us to be careful of pick-pockets. That caution was made in a couple of other places as well, but they are on the lookout for you.

I don't know why your DH is saying "no," but there was never a single instant that I was concerned, worried or anxious. He can express whatever concerns he has on the Ports of Call board, and let him see what others have to say.

The only negative was that they stopped at a store each day (different stores but one a day) to let us shop, and we really weren't buying anything. They get a cut from the stores, and they all do it, and for all I know, the ship's tours do the same thing.

Archived