Western or Eastern with 4-5 year old?

unquenched

I've checked out a few of the different cruise websites to gather some ideas, but only those who cruise regularly with kids can help me decide the answer. :)

Long story short, we're planning our first family cruise for somewhere between December 2010 and May 2011. It will be two adults and our son who will be either 4 or 5 depending on when we go.

I've generally been more excited about the Eastern itineraries, but now I've found some Western itineraries that have also piqued my interest.

What did you like best when traveling with small children? I do know we want to visit a few beaches, but I see we can do that with either itinerary.

Thank you. :)

I agree with cb at sea---pick what you want. Where would you like to go, or which ship strikes your fancy? No matter where you cruise to (east or west), there are child-friendly options in every port.

Our kids have been cruising since they were infants (and are 7 and 9 now), and we have done so many things with them while on a cruise. The stingray sandbar, private boat trips, beaches, jungle excursions, etc.

On note--when you do choose your cruise, hop over to the Ports of Call board on this site, and research your ports. On those city-specific sites, you will find recommendations for many private tour operators. We have always had much success with the private tour operators, as they have been flexible and accomodating with our kids, foten times changing the tour to what we wanted to see. And, they will often accomodate the kids at a younger age than the cruise lines will.

What ports are you looking at specifically?

CeleBrat

We did Western in January the week after dd turned 5. We chose it because we wanted her to see and explore the Mayan ruins and wildlife. She got to climb on pyramids in both Belize and Costa Maya and we did a dolphin encounter in Cozumel. We also met a current day Mayan family as part of the Mayan Experience tour in Costa Maya. Due to colder than normal weather we didn't see as much wildlife in Belize as we had hoped but that was the plan.

We are not beach people and dh is an art professor so dd has been exposed to a lot of museums, palaces, etc as we travel. That's just our thing. We even took her on a Baltic cruise last summer. She plays and has a great time in the kids club but also sees some interesting new things when we're in port. Little ones can indeed appreciate seeing these things if you present them in a kid friendly way. Have a great time whatever you choose.

We took DD on a western Caribbean cruise last November. We chose the Western Caribbean itinerary largely due to Grand Cayman and swimming with the Stingrays. DD really enjoyed that and had been looking forward to that. Granted, I do not think you can go wrong with either Western or Eastern. Lots of beaches and fun.

Thanks for the feedback.

CeleBrat- I am currently looking at a RCCL (Navigator of the Seas) that goes to Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Labadee, and Ocho Rios in January 2011. I browsed the port info pages on the main CC site and found a lot of fun offerings. I know DH is going to care most about beaches, but I want a few activities like the dolphin encounter and possibly stingrays. And we'll all care about good food! :p

sbhdmh- Your daughter sounds like she is being exposed to some wonderful cultural aspects! Our son would probably enjoy the same. I was worried that it might be unsafe for him to do the Mayan ruins, but he'll be just about your daughter's age when we go, so I'm feeling inspired. Thanks!

Archived