Beware of NCL it can happen to you.

fightpiter

As all of us scheduled for the Star in the next several months are aware the ship is undergoing some big changes. We were in an AB suite, 11530 to be exact. I had my TA call last week to make sure that there was not going to be any problems. After some run around she was told that all of the work would be completed by May. Yesterday she got a call from NCL and we had been downgraded to a mini suite from our AB. With 2 nearly grown teens this simply would not work for us so we inquired as to the GV or about swapping over to the Pearl. NCL's response was that the GV was already sold and that we could cancel our Star cruise and rebook at full current rate on the Pearl. We had a good rate on the Star that we had purchased several months ago so the differance was around $1700 for an AB to an AB, they would do NOTHING for us. This was for the cruise departing May 23rd, one day after the one on the Star. There were several AB's available. I seriously doubt that we will ever use NCL again. Oh and we are repeat customers. So be warned, it can happen to anyone else just as easily.

Not sure how much you pushed your TA but I would go back and lean on them a little more to see if there is something else they can do. I would tell my TA what I want and ask her to go to NCL and work it out. However, be reasonable in your request, moving from a suite to the Garden Villa is not a reasonable request. You may have done all of this or none of this. Sorry that you have to go through this..

I just looked and their website is showing no availability for anything better than an oceanview stateroom.

Might have had better luck asking for a nearby inside or outside to go with the Mini instead of shooting for a GV. Even if they were available, IMO that was a long shot

Not sure how much you pushed your TA but I would go back and lean on them a little more to see if there is something else they can do. I would tell my TA what I want and ask her to go to NCL and work it out. However, be reasonable in your request, moving from a suite to the Garden Villa is not a reasonable request. You may have done all of this or none of this. Sorry that you have to go through this..

I told the TA that I was willing to pay more for the GV, I didn't expect straight across. Also, I asked about a swap to the Pearl and was even willing to pay a little more on that. At the end of the day though they were unwilling to do anything at all. I had 2 people from the TA working on it and NCL refused to budge in the least. They insisted that I cancel the Star and rebook on the Pearl at the current rate.

Can you switch to another week on the Star, and get the original cabin at the original rate?

Perhaps but the weeks nearby are already out of AB's. Plus we have already scheduled the time off. Both of us have jobs that require fairly significant advance notice for vacations.

Often, there are discussions here on CC about whether it is better to book with the cruise line or a TA. I have gone with the cruise line for the one reason, that I can talk to them and work up the chain of command on my own behalf.

Three years ago, we booked the Pearl for our second 9 day southern cruise for Dec 08. A few weeks after booking, I read on CC that NCL was changing itineraries, and the Pearl would no longer be doing the 9 day cruise. I called NCL, asked to be switched to the Jewel, which was $150 less at the time of booking leaving the day after our cruise. I was told the price would be $1700 more. I talked to a supervisor with no success. Then, I made that big mistake, and posted those famous words... I will never sail NCL again. In that thread, I was aedvised to write higher up.

Well, I emailed Then CEO Colin Veitch, told my story, no ranting and raving, just the facts. Two days later, a man called on his behalf, and we worked out a satisfactory agreement. Had a great cruise, have cruised NCL three more times since.

Even though you used a TA, I would still write... send an info copy to your TA, or write through your TA to either AStuart, or KSheehan.

Al

Celebrity, Holland America, Norwegian, Princess and Royal Caribbean all have ships leaving Seattle for Alaska that weekend; have you checked prices on any of the other lines? We've done Alaska on both Celebrity and HAL; would recommend either of them.

why did they switch you to the mini suite? Are they working on the ABs or something?

I've not personally seen the change to the deck plans, but as I understand the posts I've read Star has either gone thru (or rather will be at dry dock?) some major changes. I don't know if the changes have already occurred.

They are apparently closing the forward observation lounge and putting in many cabins in that location. Apparently some of this "construction" if affecting other cabins, hence her original cabin will not exist, so they moved the family to the highest cat. available for 4 passengers. At least I think that's how it is. NCL did not just arbitrarily move her. The cabin she booked will not exist, and there were no other ABs available. Didn't give her many choices, did it?

Celebrity, Holland America, Norwegian, Princess and Royal Caribbean all have ships leaving Seattle for Alaska that weekend; have you checked prices on any of the other lines? We've done Alaska on both Celebrity and HAL; would recommend either of them.

I have looked at some of these and found that the comparable suite is quite a bit smaller or a whole lot more money. I think that the suite will still be there, they are just refurbishing it. Really, at the end of the day, I would be perfectly happy on the Pearl, NCL just refuses to switch me.

I told the TA that I was willing to pay more for the GV, I didn't expect straight across. Also, I asked about a swap to the Pearl and was even willing to pay a little more on that. At the end of the day though they were unwilling to do anything at all. I had 2 people from the TA working on it and NCL refused to budge in the least. They insisted that I cancel the Star and rebook on the Pearl at the current rate.

It sounds like your TA refused budge not NCL.

there are other option s other than NCL if you want to cruise the

Mexican Riviera..as much as i liked the Star in the past..if they tried pulling this on me id cancel first of all..then rebook with another cruiseline..

its just unfair that by no fault of your own that they would not atleast try

to accomodate you..

this past jan we had a wonderful cruise with CCL s Splendor..other than the freestyle venue, the Splendor was every bit as nice or better in many ways..

im not a CCL loyalist coming in here to bash NCL..i ve sailed on the Star already 3 times..twice to the MR and the

last time to Alaska inside passage..

there are other option s other than NCL if you want to cruise the

Mexican Riviera..as much as i liked the Star in the past..if they tried pulling this on me id cancel first of all..then rebook with another cruiseline..

its just unfair that by no fault of your own that they would not atleast try

to accomodate you..

this past jan we had a wonderful cruise with CCL s Splendor..other than the freestyle venue, the Splendor was every bit as nice or better in many ways..

im not a CCL loyalist coming in here to bash NCL..i ve sailed on the Star already 3 times..twice to the MR and the

last time to Alaska inside passage..

Not quite sure I follow your thinking. OP is booked for Alaska but you say if she wanted to cruise the Mexican Riviera?

Bill

Not quite sure I follow your thinking. OP is booked for Alaska but you say if she wanted to cruise the Mexican Riviera?

Bill

i did nt realize they were already booked for the Alaskan cruise..there was no mention of the exact inteniary *that i saw*..but, i should have realize that May is the beginning of the Alaskan cruise season..

pointing out that the NCL is not the only cruiseline that s up there..

i just don t like the arrogance NCL is displaying here..NCL make s the changes and now the passenger, *in this case* is being forced to

accomodate them..rather than trying to help OP with accomodations

without any or atleast substantial increased fairs..

this would atleast leave a bitterness in my mouth to cancel with NCL and book with another cruiseline for the Alaskan inteniary atleast..OP does nt have write-off NCL completely..just this one occasion another line can benefit from their predictament..

perhaps the wrong choice of words..but, i do hope everyone understands..:)

As all of us scheduled for the Star in the next several months are aware the ship is undergoing some big changes. We were in an AB suite, 11530 to be exact. I had my TA call last week to make sure that there was not going to be any problems. After some run around she was told that all of the work would be completed by May. Yesterday she got a call from NCL and we had been downgraded to a mini suite from our AB. With 2 nearly grown teens this simply would not work for us so we inquired as to the GV or about swapping over to the Pearl. NCL's response was that the GV was already sold and that we could cancel our Star cruise and rebook at full current rate on the Pearl. We had a good rate on the Star that we had purchased several months ago so the differance was around $1700 for an AB to an AB, they would do NOTHING for us. This was for the cruise departing May 23rd, one day after the one on the Star. There were several AB's available. I seriously doubt that we will ever use NCL again. Oh and we are repeat customers. So be warned, it can happen to anyone else just as easily.

After much frustration and many emails and phone calls NCL has decided to switch us to the Pearl the next day departure for the same price. Thanks You NCL for doing the right thing!

After much frustration and many emails and phone calls NCL has decided to switch us to the Pearl the next day departure for the same price. Thanks You NCL for doing the right thing!

Thanks for keeping us updated...

I'm sorry you had to work so hard to get a solution, but I'm sure you'll have a great time on the Pearl. :)

Archived