Grand Turk golf cart rental?

River_Rat

Well, that's not good to hear! However, I did read, and read, and read some more on this early on .... there were many 'good' comments on Nathan and a few that read like the previous, so like most things I look at reviews, I took the plunge after reading more good than bad. Nathan DID take a very long time getting back to me .... took 3 emails, the last of which I gave him my phone number. He did call me finally, as well as send an email and when we spoke and I gave him my cc info he told me to send him another email stating that we spoke, he quoted me $80 for the cart and he would send another email confirming. And, he did that. I do know others said the price was $70, but I'm in for the $80. I'm hoping it works out. But, since we leave tomorrow for Ft. Lauderdale, not much to be done about it now. I'm hoping that the experiences above maybe were caused by several ships being in port that day? For our purposes, we are the only ship there that day ..... so here's hoping! Sorry for your bad experiences tho!:confused:

Well I am nervous about seeing what we will get for $70 in a couple weeks. MMOMOM please report on your experience, I have heard both sides so will see what happens:)

I have another question are there taxis to be found just in case the cart breaks down???

I also read that someone said there are no paved roads? Is this whole island dirt roads? Easy to find your way around/back to the ship?

Well I am nervous about seeing what we will get for $70 in a couple weeks. MMOMOM please report on your experience, I have heard both sides so will see what happens:)

I have another question are there taxis to be found just in case the cart breaks down???

I also read that someone said there are no paved roads? Is this whole island dirt roads? Easy to find your way around/back to the ship?

You are wonrrying needlessly. We had reserved with Nathan several months in advance and then I started seeing bad reviews. We had no problems whatsoever. There certainly are paved roads, The only part that we went on that wasn't paved was to the secret beach where conch shells layed for the pickin'. We went all around the island on our own schedule. The golf carts worked fine. We didn't re-fill the carts wtih gas and gave the man who we returned them to $20 for 2 carts (much easier). Had a great time, saw everything and we were on our own schedule.

Will definitely let you know! We're just 'hoping for the best'!! And Good Luck to you. I think I read there were taxi's .... but also there are alot of dirt roads and it's a small island, thus, I guess the idea of the Golf Cart ..... I just thought it sounded like alot of fun! We 'shall see'! :)

jdvmd, thanx for the good words! I read alot of things like you just said ... yes, there were some bad ones in there, but I've traveled enough and read enough reviews I think, not to take everything at face value .... so like I said, I took the plunge ... read more good than bad. Now I'll just see what happens and hope for the best. Also, as I said, I wonder if the bad reviews had anything to do with how many ships in Port that day too? Anyway .... we're off tomorrow and no matter .... we will have a blast!:D

jdvmd, thanx for the good words! I read alot of things like you just said ... yes, there were some bad ones in there, but I've traveled enough and read enough reviews I think, not to take everything at face value .... so like I said, I took the plunge ... read more good than bad. Now I'll just see what happens and hope for the best. Also, as I said, I wonder if the bad reviews had anything to do with how many ships in Port that day too? Anyway .... we're off tomorrow and no matter .... we will have a blast!:D

Have a wonderful cruise. Honestly, we had a blast and I cannot wait to get back there again (this was our second time that we had been to Grand Turk-the first time we stayed at Margaritaville). We decided to take a chance with Nathan because we were renting two golf carts. My husband pointed out, if one broke down, we still have a second cart. I went through potholes, dirt roads after a major storm had passed (not while we were there thankfully). It is a very easy-going kind of place. Take a short cut through the parking lot when you leave the cruise center. The carts will be on your right after you pass the security guard station. On the way back, make sure you stop in at Governor's Beach -- we loved it! Prices of beer were much more costly than when we were at the Lighthouse. $5 verus $2. Have a great trip!

We came to a spot in the road where we could go right up the hill or go left on a paved road. We went left. After a little bit the paved road ended and we continued on the gravel/dirt road. To get to the lighthouse, take the paved road up the hill.

We rented a jeep from Nathan last week - was just as bad as your van. Broken seats, engine light stayed on, clanking noises, burning smell the whole time, could not pick up speed. Taxi drivers laughed at us and asked if we need a tow. The only way into the back seat was to crawl in through the sides. Gas tank was on empty when we got it. You will not see Nathan when you pick up or drop off your vehicle - just a lady sitting in a brown van. Paid $80 for the jeep rental. His rentals are beaters, would recommend hiring a taxi instead for the $80.00 to take you around. don't bother with maps - streets are dirt roads with no street names.

HAHA to be honest with you I probably caused half of that. I wouldn't recommend to anyone getting a cab...they take you where they want to take you. We took that JEEP to the other side of the island and put it in the caribbean ocean. It was so fun to go where you want, etc. GO FOR IT!

This is a great tip! Thanks so much, we contacted Nathan and he replied same day. We have our Jeep reserved for our May 27th visit on Carnival Miracle!

You guys are just great to share this sort of information, my husband is very excited to go exploring and seeing some wildlife! :)

• 3 weeks later...

I am soooo glad we rented the golf carts. We had two and had a blast putting around on the island. We went to the lighthouse which has some magnificent views around it. Loved seeing the horses and donkeys (especially the babies!!!). The condition of the roads reminded us of home :) but we still had a great time. Our cart was slower than the other one and occasionally backfired but kept running like a champ all day. We used the map from Nathan and didn't have any problems at all. Highly recommend renting the carts (or jeeps)!!

• 6 years later...
Thanks, how long does it take to tour most of the island. what are some spots I don't want to miss? Is the salt pond worth it, and I hear the couch grave and some prision ?

You could do the entire lighthouse, secret beach (see previous messages) in less than two hours. You will pass by the salt pond on the way to the other places. It really isn't a stopping point but suppose you could if you want.

Grand Turk is very small. You'll have time to take a golf cart to the lighthouse, hang out at that area a while, stop by Her Majesty's Prison, stop by Governor's Beach, stop at Jack's Shack and play with Topher and eat lunch and spend a few hours on the beach. Then still have time to make it back to the ship with PLENTY of time to spare.