Jeans on Casual Nights

Carol28

Most outfits look great with jeans. Do people where jeans on the casual nights with a great- looking jacket and nice jewelry?

Also, I just received my room assignment on Eurodam - VB 6173. We are at the very, very back of the ship on the starboard side. Any comments? I'm worried about motion of the ocean.

The HAL site on the appropriate dress doesn't exclude jeans on Smart Casual nights:

Evening dress falls into two distinct categories: Formal or Smart Casual. Smart Casual can be defined as slacks and collared shirts for men and casual dresses, slacks and informal evening wear for women. T-shirts, swimsuits, tank tops and shorts are not allowed in the restaurants or public areas during the evening hours. On festive Formal evenings, ladies usually wear a suit, cocktail dress or gown and gentlemen wear a jacket and tie, dark suit or tuxedo. There are approximately two formal nights per week.
I can't say that "Most outfits look great with jeans" but in my experience a few passengers do wear them to dinner on Smart Casual nights. We find jeans too bulky and heavy to pack.

We were in 8161 on the Eurodam. That is 3 cabins forward and 2 decks higher than your cabin assignment. We felt very little motion. Cabins in the aft area do make for more walking, but you are on the same end of the ship as the food.

Jeans are acceptable in the Main Dining Room, but you probably won't see many.

Most outfits look great with jeans. Do people where jeans on the casual nights with a great- looking jacket and nice jewelry?

Also, I just received my room assignment on Eurodam - VB 6173. We are at the very, very back of the ship on the starboard side. Any comments? I'm worried about motion of the ocean.

Unless the waves are really rocking and rolling, I suspect you will be comfortable. You'll have a nice, nice spot. Way to go:) If you know for sure motion affects you, you can plan ahead with your doctor. Meclazine is available on board at no charge.

Have you heard of the crackers, green apple, and fresh air remedy? It's popular.

You'll know what to do about dressing up a jeans outfit for an evening in the dining room. I don't take them along because my other slacks are less bulky and because I just enjoy dressing up. Just a matter of preferences, you know.

Anyway, have a terrific cruise.

Most outfits look great with jeans. Do people where jeans on the casual nights with a great- looking jacket and nice jewelry

I have seen passengers dressed nicely on Smart Casual Nights while wearing jeans. One fellow I'm thinking of was in a nice jacket, silk shirt, and nice, pressed jeans. He looked casual and yet also to an extent "Dressed up." It was an "outfit" with a good "look" to it.

In short, yes ... there is nothing in the Dress Code that would exclude the wearing of Jeans on Smart Casual Nights ... and particularly not if an effort is being made to make such part of an outfit.

That being said, I don't wear jeans; I find them uncomfortable and too heavy/bulky to pack for a cruise. I prefer dockers for Smart Casual evenings.

IMHO - jeans are much too bulky and weigh too much to pack. MY DH (who lives in jeans at home) can pack 3 pair of dockers for the weight of one pair of jeans. I agree as well that we have seen some folks lookin' good when wearing neatly pressed jeans, a jacket and nice shirt. :D I don't think you would be out of place to wear such an outfit on Smart Casual nights.

I like jeans with really dressy shoes and an "evening" type top. I haven't ever worn jeans to a main dining room on a cruise, mostly because I have beat my jeans UP!!!! right before every cruise I've been on. I think that would be a cute look though for the MDR.

One fellow I'm thinking of was in a nice jacket, silk shirt, and nice, pressed jeans. He looked casual and yet also to an extent "Dressed up." It was an "outfit" with a good "look" to it.
I know of whom you are thinking ;) and he does look GOOD in that outfit, but I've never seen anyone else carry it off the way he can. Nor have I seen anyone else in the Lilly Pulitzer sport coats he wears with the jeans. Now, he does take a LOT of luggage.

I have seen passengers dressed nicely on Smart Casual Nights while wearing jeans. One fellow I'm thinking of was in a nice jacket, silk shirt, and nice, pressed jeans. He looked casual and yet also to an extent "Dressed up." It was an "outfit" with a good "look" to it.

In short, yes ... there is nothing in the Dress Code that would exclude the wearing of Jeans on Smart Casual Nights ... and particularly not if an effort is being made to make such part of an outfit.

That being said, I don't wear jeans; I find them uncomfortable and too heavy/bulky to pack for a cruise. I prefer dockers for Smart Casual evenings.

I have to agree that some who wear nice jackets, great shirts, and well "pressed" jeans look superb but how many people dress like that?

Brown_shirt.gif

Blue_jeans.gif

We each take one pair of jeans with us - to be worn on the plane getting to the ship and to fly home. Personally, I wouldn't wear jeans to the MDR because I prefer a dress or slacks....sometimes I wear a nice pair of cropped or capri pants.

It wouldn't bother me to see someone wearing jeans dressed up in an outfit. I've probably seen it and never thought about it. I think it would look OK on younger people (like my son's age 18 & 26), but I would never let DH do it. I like him in Dockers. And I would hope no one would think of wearing those jeans that are torn up...I don't care how much they cost.

I wear really nice flip-flops to the MDR some evenings that are part of my outfit...plus, they don't weigh much and I have a rule that flip-flops don't count when my husband asks how many pairs of shoes I'm bringing:D

I sometimes wear black jeans with dressy shoes and jewelry. They look a little more evening-appropriate than blue denim and are a change from skirts. I would love to wear black pants, but it's tough to find them for my short-legged frame. To me, formal nights are easier to figure out--Little Black Dress for me, frills for the 6-year-old diva, and rented tuxes for my men.

I only bring one pair of jeans on a cruise with me too just like Northshorecruisers....for the plane ride to and from.

Otherwise they are way to heavy, hot and bulky for a warm weather cruise.

If and when we ever do an Alaska cruise I would probably bring some for the excursions.

But I too have seen some nice outfits put together with nice jeans that would look ok on casual nights

I work in the marketing and advertising field. Jeans and a blazer are pretty much the de rigeur uniform. On casual evenings I'll often wear the same.

BlazerJeans1a.jpg

Scott.

It's probably just me, but there's something about the guy's outfit in this photo that just doesn't look "authentic." It's as if he's dressed this way in order to "fit in," but that if it were up to him he'd either be sans the jacket or sans the jeans. The two together just don't look quite "right" on him. For one thing, that jacket looks like it's part of a suit, not a stand-alone blazer.

Also ... shouldn't those jeans be one (1) shade darker?

And ... what about those shoes?? Shouldn't they be more casual so-as to match the jeans???

I mean ... it almost looks like he's taken off a suit's pants and put on a pair of jeans to "make a point" or "fit in."

hehehehehehehe ... gotta pick, gotta pick. I know ... it's inane, but somebody's gotta say it. :D ;) (hint: I'm doing this on purpose)

Isn't that what marketing seems to be reduced to these days? The manipulation of perspective aka contrivance? But to add, I personally think he should have ditched the Wranglers® and have tried a narrower cut of jeans that actually personified some style IMHO :D Scott.

... shouldn't those jeans be one (1) shade darker?

I personally think he should have ditched the Wranglers® and have tried a narrower cut of jeans Scott.

Agreed. Darker and narrower would have moved the look from daytime sloppy to evening snazzy.

:) Jeans are actually not that much different from "slacks" of any kind. I have Ralph Lauren in denim but I also have navy, beige, darker brown, and black. I think they fit BETTER than most slacks so I often wear them and top them off with velvet and/or sequins. MANY years ago you had a choice; "slacks" or Levi's; Now that isn't true and many jeans are AS dressy as anything else AND HAL has acknowledged that by loosening the "rules" . That said - There is a HUGE difference between shabby/holey jeans and "dressier" jeans. BTW - I'm 70 years old, not 18. Or 30........

Anne

And I would concur that it depends on your "attitude" and skill. I personally like the look of a straight cut/slimmer fit in dark denim with heels and a cute top. Think it's fine for most nights.

Plus, while my little cotton dresses and linen pants are find during the day in the Mex Riv, the DR is often a little cooler and a heavier fabric is nice some nights.

At the end of the day, to each his own and as long as it isn't offensive, (naked parts, dirty, torn) then it doesn't really bother me:)

Archived