Would there be a reduced fare if the departure point is Sydney but we got on in Melb?

cazz0069

We are thinking of heading back to New Zealand next year,this time on the Diamond Princess, but the cruise departs from Sydney and we live in Melbourne. Would Princess reduce the fare if we boarded in Melbourne or would they still charge full fare? It seems it would be far more economical if we boarded the ship in Melbourne as opposed to flying to Sydney, just so we could then sail to Melbourne, then on to NZ...any feedback appreciated...Thanks y`all! :):):)

We are thinking of heading back to New Zealand next year,this time on the Diamond Princess, but the cruise departs from Sydney and we live in Melbourne. Would Princess reduce the fare if we boarded in Melbourne or would they still charge full fare? It seems it would be far more economical if we boarded the ship in Melbourne as opposed to flying to Sydney, just so we could then sail to Melbourne, then on to NZ...any feedback appreciated...Thanks y`all! :):):)

hi cazz,i dont think princess will give you a reduction because its not a sector price... but what we did when we cruised on the Diamond in Feb from Auck to Sydney there was some passengers from Melb and when we docked in Melb they took home their luggage and continued to Sydney and flew home without their luggage.....they only had their carry on luggage and it was much easier for them....they had to get the ok from the purser

personally i think you'll be better off cruising home from Auck and then you dont have to worry about the weight

its a very nice ship and we wouldnt mind cruising on her again

rkmw

I think the short answer there is "no" Jas.

What you would do is save yourself the airfare though.

We face similar situations in Brisbane with some of the P&O world cruises.

Early days they are only bookable from Sydney - north.

Even then it is cheaper to pay that and get on at Brisbane.

Later they always seem to add Brisbane as a "start point" and the fare becomes Brisbane-north.

Maybe Princess will do the same with Melbourne as the time draws nearer.

Talk with your travel agent.:)

Sorry to say, I can't see why they should reduce the fare. They can't very well sell one cabin only for the overnight trip from Sydney to Melbourne.

You might find that you would not be able to start your cruise in Melbourne as they would not have embarkation facilities (check in etc.) for new passengers. It wouldn't be worth their while setting all that up just for two passengers.

My guess is that you will have to board in Sydney (or not go at all!).

Thanks everyone. I had a feeling that would be the case. We want to finish up in Auckland as we then want to do some travelling around at the end of the cruise. Its no major drama, i just thought if possible, it would be cheaper for us to get on in Melbourne rather than fly to Sydney, but look air fares are so cheap i dont see it being that much of a hassle to pay a couple of hundred extra just to get to Sydney...just looking at ways to save a penny:)

Thanks for your feedback. We are so keen to do the Diamond...

We did this cruise on the Diamond from Syd to Auckland in Jan, and then spent an extra week in the north island. We chose to fly home with Emirates, as they allow 30kg of luggage. We were lucky to find a fare for $130, and flew on the A380, which is absolutely amazing. I think I found the fare around June/July.

I personally would rather sail from Sydney.....cos I would prefer not to miss any sea days. You will love this trip, and the ship is fantastic.

Cheers,

Jen

Thanks everyone. I had a feeling that would be the case. We want to finish up in Auckland as we then want to do some travelling around at the end of the cruise. Its no major drama, i just thought if possible, it would be cheaper for us to get on in Melbourne rather than fly to Sydney, but look air fares are so cheap i dont see it being that much of a hassle to pay a couple of hundred extra just to get to Sydney...just looking at ways to save a penny:)

Thanks for your feedback. We are so keen to do the Diamond...

Do it Jas, don't even think about it, don't wait, just do it, you won't be sorry. Just make sure you and Eric do not leave the house for a month before the cruise so you guys don't hurt yourselves lol :D no broken bones etc this time

I agree with others Jas ,

in that the short answer is no.

If you really, really wanted to board in Melbourne,

you would have to ask for a special quote,

as other things such as immigration, customs and the ships paper work

all come into play,

and it is quite feasible Princess

may actually charge more to board in Melbourne ,

in order to cover their costs.

Melbourne will probably only be set up to handle passengers in transit .

Do it Jas, don't even think about it, don't wait, just do it, you won't be sorry. Just make sure you and Eric do not leave the house for a month before the cruise so you guys don't hurt yourselves lol :D no broken bones etc this time

Hahaha Cheryl that is hysterical. I was thinking bubble wrap for a good month before. And you are all right, in hindsight, why deny ourselves 2 days at sea. I was thinking more of practicality, but it just makes sense to have the extra time at sea and lap up all the Diamond has to offer...thanks for your advise everyone.:):)

Archived