Dog Sledding without the plane ride

dianelevene

Hi,

We will be in Alaska over the summer with our two young daughters. I think they would love going dog sledding but when you combine it with the flightseeing the cost is too high for a family of four. Has anybody done one of the dog sledding trips where you don't take the flight? I heard that they use sleds with wheels. Is that right? Do you still get a similar experience? Is there a company that anybody can recommend? Please let me know. I am trying to get all of our excursions booked. Thanks!

Diane,

Are you sailing in our out of Seward by any chance? If so, we went to Seavey's in Seward. He was the winner of last year's Iditarod and their place in Seward is great to see the dogs and get a little "lesson" on dogsledding. While a very different experience than the dogsledding on snow, our family still really enjoyed the visit and the sled on wheels.

There is a big difference between the wheeled and sled dog tours. :) Wasilla offers the cheapest rides at $5, 1 hour north of Anchorage. If going on an inside passage cruise- consider my post for Murray- he lists an operator out of Carcross, you need a rental car- which will be an excellent day anyway if of interest. The cart ride in Skagway- which used to be cheap is now ship contracted and running big money. In the past there was a shop- in Ketchikan that had sled dogs- I haven't been there the last couple trips, so if I get a chance in May I will see if still open- or someone can find out?? Ask at the dock visitor center.

We are renting a car in Skagway because I don't want to take the kids on the train. I thought the train would be fun for the first 15 minutes and then they will start the "Are we there yets?" Is there a good dog sled tour in Carcross? We would be interested in finding out more information about the dog sledding there. We will be in Skagway from 7 am until 5 pm. Is that enough time to drive to Emerald Lake and do a dog sled tour? We like to get back with plenty of time and we would need to drop off the rental car. I do think my kids would absolutely LOVE to do the dog sledding since they are both crazy about dogs. I wish we could do the thing where you combine the flightseeing and the dog sledding but that would just be way too expensive. With my kids being so young, I doubt that they would remember enough to justify spending that kind of money on it.

There is a place called the Alaska Sled Dog Adventure, it's out of Skagway, they are the wheeled dog sledding. It's 2 1/2 hour tour for $99 per person, check out there website. They won't let me post the website, but if you can't find it through google you can email me and I'll give it to you. gnisme@cablerocket.com Also we are renting a car in Skagway too and driving to Emerald Bay I have some great info on that too. I'll be in port the same amount of time and you shouldn't have any problems. I hear you could do the whole drive in 4-5 hrs with the sight seeing.

No I don't recommend the Skagway cart ride for $99- it was only Ok when I did it booking independent for around $30, several years ago. :)

Below is a response from Murray on his recommedation in Carcross.

Thanks, Deb, that's right. William Kleedehn and/or his sons do a great tour at low cost (doesn't seem to be a fixed rate - or hasn't been the past 3 years). There are about 8 miles north of Carcross - phone 867-821-3766 (no Web site or email yet).

Murray

I called William Kleedehn a few days ago. He said that he only does tours occasionally since he works a full time job. He gave me his email address and told me to email him when we get closer to leaving for Alaska. I had considered doing the Ididaride tour in Seward but we have booked a boat tour of Resurection Bay and I think we would also like to go to the Alaska Sea Life Center. Now I am not sure what we will do. We have rented the car in Skagway and we will drive to Emerald Lake because it sounds like a wonderful way to see the country and spend a nice day. If we can find a place to do the dog sledding that would be great. If not, there are so many other interesting things to do in each port. So far I still need to plan for Sitka and Ketchikan and Prince Rupert.

I did the dog sledding on wheels out of Seward last year. I didn't want to spend $400 for the helicopter/glacier landing dog sledding and thought this was fine for $100. A little on the expensive side but I enjoyed it. Here are some pics:

dog sled on wheels

The musher we had was named Hugh and he was "Rookie of the Year" during last years Iditarod. I probably would have liked the $400 shore excursion better but this was fine for me.

Coral,

My DH and I are going to Alaska in May. We have already signed up for the dog sled excursion without the plane. I am prone to motion sickness. Do you think the sled ride will be a problem for me?

No - I don't. The ride is only about 20 minutes (30 max) and is broken up into a few breaks. You go up a hill but have to stop half way up so that the dogs can have a water break. You then go the rest of the way and stop again for a break and then you go all the way back down. I am one who will not get on amusement rides because they make me sick. I was more worried that the cart that we sat in would run over the dogs (not realistic but it scared me).

Going up the hill is not very fast but going down the hill is pretty fast but only lasts for a few minutes. It sort of reminded me of a hayrack ride going down a hill. I was scared in the beginning (told you I was a chicken) but then it was fine.

I would do it. Maybe take something before you go but I doubt it will be a problem.

I called William Kleedehn a few days ago. He said that he only does tours occasionally since he works a full time job. He gave me his email address and told me to email him when we get closer to leaving for Alaska. I had considered doing the Ididaride tour in Seward but we have booked a boat tour of Resurection Bay and I think we would also like to go to the Alaska Sea Life Center. Now I am not sure what we will do. We have rented the car in Skagway and we will drive to Emerald Lake because it sounds like a wonderful way to see the country and spend a nice day. If we can find a place to do the dog sledding that would be great. If not, there are so many other interesting things to do in each port. So far I still need to plan for Sitka and Ketchikan and Prince Rupert.

For clarification- if interested in dog sledding Seavey's is an EXCELLENT tour and definately superior to the Skagway cart ride. And especially if you truely are on only a bay tour??? I would skip it, definately not worth the time, you are rarely out of sight of Seward and this isn't the wildlife nor superior scenery area. Hopefully you have at least 6 hours on the water?

Budget Queen- I did book only the bay tour because I thought the other tour would be too long for my kids. Should I rethink what we are doing on our day in Seward. We will be in port from 7 am until 5 pm so we have time to do a tour and the Sea Life Center. I have seen a 5 hour tour of Kenai Fjords or we can do the Ididaride tour which is 2 1/2 hours. My kids will enjoy the 5 hour boat tour only if we actually see lots of animals but my husband and I would love it. I don't know exactly what to do now. What would you recommend.

Budget Queen- I did book only the bay tour because I thought the other tour would be too long for my kids. Should I rethink what we are doing on our day in Seward. We will be in port from 7 am until 5 pm so we have time to do a tour and the Sea Life Center. I have seen a 5 hour tour of Kenai Fjords or we can do the Ididaride tour which is 2 1/2 hours. My kids will enjoy the 5 hour boat tour only if we actually see lots of animals but my husband and I would love it. I don't know exactly what to do now. What would you recommend.

My opinion only- no I would definately not consider the bay tour. Especially with sailing at 5pm- you are going right past the same scenery sailing out of the bay. How old are the kids??? Wildlife is plentiful and close on these tours, but I wouldn't consider taking kids younger than 8 or so??? Plenty of sick passengers too- take precautions if prone. But the highlights are many- very close glacier viewing, and varied wildlife. My top pick in Seward. The option of the Sealife Center and Seavey's dog sledding are excellent alternative choices.

BQ- My kids are young. They will be 5 and 6 when we are in Alaska this summer. My husband I would love to get up close to one of the glaciers and see some great wildlife but I don't know how my kids would do. I know a lot of people take tours and leave their kids on the ship but I always feel like that is a waste of time. There is no point taking them on a vacation if they just stay on the ship. I will definitely pack some Bonine. We are going whale watching with Capt. Larry in Juneau so I planned to take some for that too This is the most exciting vacation we have taken in several years and I want to make sure that we get the most out of it that we can but I want all of us to enjoy it too. I think that I will definitely cancel the bay tour but then I need to decide what to replace it with.

Archived