Men's Formal Strategies

6502programmer

IMHO all men look like George Clooney in classic black tux's - I love seeing hubby in his! (something akin to men in uniform - fires my rockets all the time!). :D

I'm totally with you on this!

Sarah

Funny, this! But I think it's because it's my he-should-know-better-I-tell-him-all-the-time-friend who thinks he is dressed for a formal evening on ship when wearing black shoes of any short, black short socks so as to show leg, ugh, black trousers, black shirt of any collar, often with white buttons, sometimes black, and a one-inch wide SILVER LAME necktie! :eek:

Funny, this! But I think it's because it's my he-should-know-better-I-tell-him-all-the-time-friend who thinks he is dressed for a formal evening on ship when wearing black shoes of any short, black short socks so as to show leg, ugh, black trousers, black shirt of any collar, often with white buttons, sometimes black, and a one-inch wide SILVER LAME necktie! :eek:

And he's STILL your friend???.

Gari

This is my unvarying routine for a TA - 5 nights NYC – TA.

Travel in a decent light weight suit of any colour or a sports coat or a blazer and slacks.

Wear good walking shoes. (I tend towards Doc Martins mine have pounded miles of Manhattan’s pavements).

Packing.

A dinner jacket + 3 Marcel front shirts. 2 are sufficient if you send one to the laundry on board but I allow for accidents.

An extra pair of slacks of the non creasing or washable variety (possibly the only good thing to come out of golf is good lightweight trousers)

6 pairs of pants and 6 pairs of socks. (Wash or send to laundry as required)

Evening shoes. Light shoes e.g. slip-ons for onboard.

My indulgence is shirts. 6 crisp, white, shortsleeved, poplin, collared shirts.

6 black T shirts for variety (that is black as in ‘black’ not washed out, greyed-out dishrags).

A couple of blue or cream business shirts.

All these I have laundered if neccessary while in NYC ( Ms Buffy’s is good, 7th or 8th Ave. About 57th St. I can never remember but I know where it is).

A decent lightweight sweater, the ac is sometimes fierce.

Black bowtie and a couple of straight ties, PJ’s and that’s it as far as clothes go.

Toiletries and the usual paraphernalia.

The suit or sports coat or blazer can double up for semi-formal and elegant casual and ring the changes with shirts and ties.

And there you go, no sweat, no excess baggage charges. The less you have the easier it is.

A Lightweight Gari

My goodness, Gari, you actually can fit all of those clothes in without excess baggage charges? Do you manage to fit it all in one suitcase? I carry less than half of that and I'm always getting dinged for overweight luggage.

Are black tuxes still appropriate for warm weather cruises?
Yes, in fact on the QM2 you'll find the officers in formal blues on formal night and whites on semi-formal. For a tropical Cunard cruise, I'll take a tux, an ivory DJ and a dark suit. for a TA, just the tux and a dark suit. Two formal shirts, one pleated, one flat, three sets of studs/cufflinks, plus cummerbund, vest, black tie, and black and silver bowtie.

And, no, I don't look like George Clooney in them - more like Sidney Greenstreet.

I'm so disappointed, but when I read your post, I just rushed upstairs, got all togged out in my DJ and looked in the mirror expecting to see George Clooney staring back at me.

He wasn't there - some fat, ugly old bloke had taken his place.

smiley_crying.gif

J

*LOL*

Alan King used to tell a story about when he used to play Vegas and they would give him the grand suite that included a mirror over the bed.

He said he hated it

After he makes love to his wife he likes to think he is a young Greek God who has just deflowered a fair damsel.

It kind of kills the moment to roll over , look up, and see a fat, bald, old Jew sweating like a pig and gasping for breath. :)

I'm so disappointed, but when I read your post, I just rushed upstairs, got all togged out in my DJ and looked in the mirror expecting to see George Clooney staring back at me.

He wasn't there - some fat, ugly old bloke had taken his place.

smiley_crying.gif

J

Here you go - cut out and wear as a mask (Your expression may not change that much though and soup may causing some *melting*) :D

79968345.jpg

Here you go - cut out and wear as a mask (Your expression may not change that much though and soup may causing some *melting*) :D

No way could I wear that as a mask! I don't have a single grey hair on my head :eek:

J

OK Sir M - I'm waiting!

No way could I wear that as a mask! I don't have a single grey hair on my head :eek:

J

OK Sir M - I'm waiting!

I was just idly wondering how Justin had got hold of a photograph of moi.

Oh, and you're quite right: you haven't got a single grey hair - you've got thousands. Boom boom.

Sir Martin

I was just idly wondering how Justin had got hold of a photograph of moi.

Oh, and you're quite right: you haven't got a single grey hair - you've got thousands. Boom boom.

Sir Martin

You never were one to pass up an easy target were you?

J

My goodness, Gari, you actually can fit all of those clothes in without excess baggage charges? Do you manage to fit it all in one suitcase? I carry less than half of that and I'm always getting dinged for overweight luggage.

You must wear pretty heavy kit then Buddy. I fly down to Soton and I have never paid excess baggage charges. Because I am getting a bit decrepit these days I have one of those hard suitcases with 4 wheels which itself weighs about 6-7 Kilos. So my stuff aint that heavy it always comes in under the 20k limit. In fact all it is is a tux and a spare pair of strides. the pants & socks are of negligible weight. It's just the shirts that are a bit much. I like a clean shirt in the morning and another at night hence the number, it's just a pecadillo of mine. And I only have the one case. Carry-on is a messenger bag with a book, tickets and meds.

A Lightweight Gari

Nor do I! And that looks suspiciously like a pre-tied bow-tie.:eek:
I'm sure there is no lack of ladies offering to tie one on with him!:D

Patent Opera pumps or dance shoes,very formal, very light weight.

Along with the two waist coats, Texas flag cummerbund set and studs, tux, dinner jacket with formal gallasses etc etc. Two checked bags apiece and two carryons usually take care of it. But we fly a regional airline without the luggage charges when possible.

So J, all that red hair from the Hong Kong days is gone?

One shirt would suffice if Mrs G could manage to wash it quickly enough!

:eek:

Unfortunately, Senior Management labours under the illusion that she too is on holiday and try as I might I cannot disabuse her of this strange idea.

Gari

Unfortunately, Senior Management labours under the illusion that she too is on holiday and try as I might I cannot disabuse her of this strange idea. Gari
Mine doesn't do it at home, so bringing it up on a cruise produces one of those expensive little laundry bags for over night service.

My time is better spent adding Bailey's to her morning coffee to iron the wrinkles out of her attitude and the current opinion of her husband.

I'm getting a kick out of this thread. I joined CC about a month ago and after learning a few of the posting quirks, I posted my first thread and, under the vague and meaningless heading of "Master Chief," I asked if burgundy and gray ties/cummerbunds were "allowed" in addition to the black. One would think I'd unleashed The Dogs of War. I got my answer (which by the way is yes), but I suffered countless indignities and for several weeks following I jumped any time somebody said "Boo." Fortunately I have fully recovered and am once again at battle strength. I believe all the advice you have been given is excellent and I am going to follow it myself. In fact, all the advice I got before was excellent too, but I felt intimidated. New kid on the block, y'know. Press on regardless. George Clooney will have nothing on us, pal. He never did, anyway.

I'm getting a kick out of this thread. I joined CC about a month ago and after learning a few of the posting quirks, I posted my first thread and, under the vague and meaningless heading of "Master Chief," I asked if burgundy and gray ties/cummerbunds were "allowed" in addition to the black. One would think I'd unleashed The Dogs of War. I got my answer (which by the way is yes), but I suffered countless indignities and for several weeks following I jumped any time somebody said "Boo." Fortunately I have fully recovered and am once again at battle strength. I believe all the advice you have been given is excellent and I am going to follow it myself. In fact, all the advice I got before was excellent too, but I felt intimidated. New kid on the block, y'know. Press on regardless. George Clooney will have nothing on us, pal. He never did, anyway.

L.O.L If you believe ALL the advice on here and are going to follow it ALL then that's a sight I would pay good money to see.

Gari

Archived