Men's Formal Strategies

6502programmer

Guys:

What is your approach to Formal on Cunard? I know the guidance is Formal: tuxedo or dark suit; Semi-Formal: Jacket and Tie; Casual: Jacket and no tie. I have neither the desire nor intention of subverting it. To the contrary, I'm anticipating being on the high side of fashion.

How do you usually pack? I have a tuxedo that will be coming along. I'm aware of the white/waiter/ivory dinner jacket controversy, but was planning to augment my formal range with one nonetheless. I was considering bringing a black suit as well, and a jacket (probably camel).

How do you deal with "staleness" in your wardrobe? I only own one tuxedo, and I'd really rather not pack several suits. Is it "good enough" to mix things up with accoutrements combined with an abundance of caution while eating? I have black and red bowtie/vest combinations, so that's three evenings (black/red with tuxedo, black with dinner jacket). I can pair various shirts and ties with the suit and jackets. Is this sufficient for B2B TA's, each with three balls (2x Black & White, 2x Big Band, 1x Masked, 1x Ascot)?

I am sure you will look just fine in the clothes that you suggest, they follow the dress code and I am sure they make you happy. Don't be put off by the self appointed fashionistas. Many men seem to manage with one dark suit as the very bare minimum worn with a tie or not depending on the dress code. Anything more is entirely up to you and if you want to wear a white jacket or red bow tie it is no ones business but your own.

Like so? SLTI9832_lrg.jpg

Nope, the black and silver one is:

FLBK3416_lrg.jpg

plus I have this one in both the butteyfly style as shown and the narrow 1950s style for when I'm feeling like a blonde, beefy Dean Martin:

bchr3231_lrg.jpg

I have a bunch more, but not for formal wear. What can I say, I like bow ties.

Nope, the black and silver one is:

FLBK3416_lrg.jpg

plus I have this one in both the butteyfly style as shown and the narrow 1950s style for when I'm feeling like a blonde, beefy Dean Martin:

bchr3231_lrg.jpg

I have a bunch more, but not for formal wear. What can I say, I like bow ties.

Er, they look suspiciously like pre-tied ties to me.

Tell me it aint so Buddy, tell me it aint so.

An Incredulous Gari

Er, they look suspiciously like pre-tied ties to me.

Tell me it aint so Buddy, tell me it aint so.

An Incredulous Gari

It ain't so. They're from Beau Ties of Vermont - I don't think they even sell pre-tieds. I've been hand tying bow ties since I was a lad.

I was very fortunate to discover that supplier - I believe someone on another website pointed me in the right direction - because they carry custom oversized ties for those of us with a 22 inch neck. Up until then I was resorting to cutting up bow ties and sewing in an additional length of complementary fabric.

It ain't so. They're from Beau Ties of Vermont - I don't think they even sell pre-tieds. I've been hand tying bow ties since I was a lad.

I was very fortunate to discover that supplier - I believe someone on another website pointed me in the right direction - because they carry custom oversized ties for those of us with a 22 inch neck. Up until then I was resorting to cutting up bow ties and sewing in an additional length of complementary fabric.

Then if they are hand-tied they are far too neat. What was it Mr. Sinatra said when fiddling with his tie before a gig, 'Ah to hell with it, it's good enough for jazz'.

Actually it may have been me who pointed you in that direction. I have referred several Americans to their site. The Bow Tie club is another one I like but the postage from the States makes both those companies a no go for me in the UK.

Gari

It ain't so. They're from Beau Ties of Vermont - I don't think they even sell pre-tieds. I've been hand tying bow ties since I was a lad. ...
It's www.beautiesltd.com, and, believe it or not, they also offer clip-on as well as pre-tied bow ties (plus, neckties, ascots, cummerbunds, etc.). Well, nobody's perfect.

I have been looking and looking (Google/Topeka for today) trying to find bow ties that you tie yourself other than at Brooks Brothers - thanks for the heads up about Beau Ties!

Will be nice to have tow different black bow ties for formal night!

I have been looking and looking (Google/Topeka for today) trying to find bow ties that you tie yourself other than at Brooks Brothers - thanks for the heads up about Beau Ties!

As I posted earlier,try

www.bowtieclub.com/

They are in the USA somewhere. Fantastic selection. I just like looking at them.

Gari

Then if they are hand-tied they are far too neat. What was it Mr. Sinatra said when fiddling with his tie before a gig, 'Ah to hell with it, it's good enough for jazz'.

Actually it may have been me who pointed you in that direction. I have referred several Americans to their site. The Bow Tie club is another one I like but the postage from the States makes both those companies a no go for me in the UK.

Gari

Now that you mention it, I do think it was you who sent me that way. And it's much appreciated - I have 6 or 7 ties from them now. And the neatness of the tie in the photo probably has to do with the fact they are directly linked from their catalog. When I tie them, they tend to be a bit sloppier.

It's www.beautiesltd.com, and, believe it or not, they also offer clip-on as well as pre-tied bow ties (plus, neckties, ascots, cummerbunds, etc.). Well, nobody's perfect.
Cli[ ons and pre-tieds? In adult sizes? I can understand for kids... oh well.

They're very nice, and offer a great selection. I've been most happy with mine.

Archived