Men's Formal Strategies

6502programmer

Guys:

What is your approach to Formal on Cunard? I know the guidance is Formal: tuxedo or dark suit; Semi-Formal: Jacket and Tie; Casual: Jacket and no tie. I have neither the desire nor intention of subverting it. To the contrary, I'm anticipating being on the high side of fashion.

How do you usually pack? I have a tuxedo that will be coming along. I'm aware of the white/waiter/ivory dinner jacket controversy, but was planning to augment my formal range with one nonetheless. I was considering bringing a black suit as well, and a jacket (probably camel).

How do you deal with "staleness" in your wardrobe? I only own one tuxedo, and I'd really rather not pack several suits. Is it "good enough" to mix things up with accoutrements combined with an abundance of caution while eating? I have black and red bowtie/vest combinations, so that's three evenings (black/red with tuxedo, black with dinner jacket). I can pair various shirts and ties with the suit and jackets. Is this sufficient for B2B TA's, each with three balls (2x Black & White, 2x Big Band, 1x Masked, 1x Ascot)?

How do you deal with "staleness" in your wardrobe? ... Is it "good enough" to mix things up with accoutrements combined with an abundance of caution while eating?

One option is not to attempt to - all the more to let your partner shine. Some never vary from Tux, white shirt, black tie - though possibly varying the cuff-links as these can bring interesting, if un-ostentatious variety.

If you wish to ring some changes, varying tie and cummerbund or possibly wearing a waistcoat (vest) can also add variety. Don't forget that Tuxes tend to shrink on cruises - I blame the sea air!

Stick with black and you can't go wrong.

That's the nice thing about being a bloke on a crossing or cruise, no dressing drama.

Simple, quick, and easy. ;)

Ditch the vests/waistcoats and cummerbunds as they're not really necessary either, and they just take up room and add more weight in the luggage.

When you're seated at a table, especially at dinner, with the jacket unbuttoned, nobody will be able to admire your cummerbunds or vests/waistcoasts anyway. Your jacket will be buttoned when up strolling around, so, IMHO, they're a waisted effort.

When it comes to dressing formal for men, less is more. The clean lines of the classics always look great, including a white/cream dinner jacket if you like.

There is no "staleness" to the classic look, which is why it's the classic look in the first place... :)

Plus, judging by what many of the ladies on these boards, and on board say, it's the look they like best on men.

my two cents worth...

Everything will work out. Relax. One tuxedo is enough --- and one dark business suit --- for even a World Voyage. Send to the cleaners and back the next day! No one knows if it is the same one or two or not, and that is the sheer genius of the system for gentlemen. Black never gets stale, as you can see by observing all the ladies in black ad nauseum. I think a bowtie and cummerbund in a color other than black is quite appropriate. Two jackets and some ties and several pairs of slacks for elegant casual and for informal, and you are packed to the nines. The variety you discuss is God's Plenty for back-to-back transatlantics --- too much, in fact. Remember, there are 2,600 passengers, and all will be thinking of themselves and puffing up their feathers. I would not carry a white dinner jacket on a transatlantic voyage on Cunard that does not proceed immediately to Bridgetown. You can never fail to be right when you follow the advice of guernseyguy.

Lord Kay of Shandon.

And a word from the female perspective, although you didn't ask.;)

You can't go wrong following the advice of these 3 gentlemen, all of whom have great knowledge gained from experience on a Cunard ship.

Nothing is as elegant in my view as a black tux and black tie. It's a pleasure to see my husband dressed like this. You don't need to tart it up with multi colored ties and cummerbunds that only serve to detract from the classy look of the tried and true. Keep it simple and distinguished.

Remember, on a B2B you will be seeing a whole new bunch of shipmates who haven't a clue what you wore on the way over. Any repeaters won't remember or have noticed in the first place. And don't worry about the "themed" balls....you will see a vast assortment of formal wear on those nights.

As to packing, I always bring an extra tux shirt or two just in case. I send them out the first day and he's good to go for the first 3 formal nights. The service is swift for dry cleaning. He brings a dark suit and assorted shirts and ties and a sports jacket with a couple of different casual slacks for evening. Even though it says ties are not required for elegant casual, you are likely to see them a good bit anyway.

Men do have it so easy.;) You should see my packing list!:rolleyes:

Most of all do enjoy one of the loveliest experiences there is, a crossing. Be prepared for addiction to set in.

Cheers, Penny

Penny’s Affair to Remember QM2 Review

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

November 10,2007...the “Affair” continued...did it ever!

October 16,2008...the “Affair” goes transatlantic as we sail in tandem with the grand QE2 on her final transatlantic voyage...what a thrill!

December 9, 2008....the “Affair” resumes again....Life is good!

July 30, 2009....transatlantic again...some “Affairs” just get better

August 7, 2009....the “Affair” goes on...this time “home” to Norway

Feb. 7, 2010....the “Affair” takes a sunny detour when Penny meets a Princess

Aug 14, 2010....the “Affair” returns to Norway, all the way to the top!

This is my unvarying routine for a TA - 5 nights NYC – TA.

Travel in a decent light weight suit of any colour or a sports coat or a blazer and slacks.

Wear good walking shoes. (I tend towards Doc Martins mine have pounded miles of Manhattan’s pavements).

Packing.

A dinner jacket + 3 Marcel front shirts. 2 are sufficient if you send one to the laundry on board but I allow for accidents.

An extra pair of slacks of the non creasing or washable variety (possibly the only good thing to come out of golf is good lightweight trousers)

6 pairs of pants and 6 pairs of socks. (Wash or send to laundry as required)

Evening shoes. Light shoes e.g. slip-ons for onboard.

My indulgence is shirts. 6 crisp, white, shortsleeved, poplin, collared shirts.

6 black T shirts for variety (that is black as in ‘black’ not washed out, greyed-out dishrags).

A couple of blue or cream business shirts.

All these I have laundered if neccessary while in NYC ( Ms Buffy’s is good, 7th or 8th Ave. About 57th St. I can never remember but I know where it is).

A decent lightweight sweater, the ac is sometimes fierce.

Black bowtie and a couple of straight ties, PJ’s and that’s it as far as clothes go.

Toiletries and the usual paraphernalia.

The suit or sports coat or blazer can double up for semi-formal and elegant casual and ring the changes with shirts and ties.

And there you go, no sweat, no excess baggage charges. The less you have the easier it is.

A Lightweight Gari

Based on my experience on a number of crossings, you see gentlemen in Tuxedos, White Dinner jackets and Dark Suits. I like to wear a Tux except in the Caribbean or the Hawaii run where I will also occasionally wear a white dinner jacket.

On the fifth anniversary trip I wore my tartan trousers with a matching cummerbund and tie. I like to vary the pocket squares for a little variety. I now always travel with at least three formal shirts, after a bad ironing messed up one of the Two that I used to pack.

I don't wear dark suits, but do wear dark navy blazers and dark charcoal pants. I get variety with different ties and pocket squares.

I think the right answer, is to wear what your comfortable in. If you want to add a little color feel free to. As to the "rules" remember, this isn't really formal formal or we would be wearing tails and top hats.

Mike

IMHO all men look like George Clooney in classic black tux's...

I'm so disappointed, but when I read your post, I just rushed upstairs, got all togged out in my DJ and looked in the mirror expecting to see George Clooney staring back at me.

He wasn't there - some fat, ugly old bloke had taken his place.

smiley_crying.gif

J

I'm so disappointed, but when I read your post, I just rushed upstairs, got all togged out in my DJ and looked in the mirror expecting to see George Clooney staring back at me.

He wasn't there - some fat, ugly old bloke had taken his place.

smiley_crying.gif

J

Aww bless, sorry if I dispelled your illusion :o

If its any conselation Tux's are very flattering - like uniform, put one on any bloke and properly presented there is definately a "phoar" factor there - small, tall, fat, thin, balding, hairy - no-one can fail to look good in a tux - don't beat yourself about the head over it. ;)

I agree that a tux with a (hand tied) black bow tie is perfection for every formal night. There has been much previous discussion on the merits of white/ivory jackets, and I do not wish to go there, but when in the tropics, I think a white/ivory jacket with a black bow tie also looks really elegant. The problem is that of late, our table mates have been wearing ivory jackets with black shirts, and red bow ties (they were from the UK so maybe this is a trend there), or else red shirts and black or white bow ties. This really just doesn't convey the semblance of understated elegance that a white shirt does, but hey I suppose each to their own! I love to see everyone dressed elegantly on formal nights, but I suppose the definition of elegance is very personal, so I should cease and desist from commenting!

Lesley

I agree that a tux with a (hand tied) black bow tie is perfection for every formal night.

Spot on - with recognition that this isn't really formal dress.

The problem is that of late, our table mates have been wearing ivory jackets with black shirts, and red bow ties (they were from the UK so maybe this is a trend there), or else red shirts and black or white bow ties.
Speak to the Maitre'D and request a table change. Please don't assume that this is what English Gentlemen do. I agree that what you describe is simply wrong. Pure and simple

This really just doesn't convey the semblance of understated elegance that a white shirt does
Again, spot on.

But hey I suppose each to their own! I love to see everyone dressed elegantly on formal nights, but I suppose the definition of elegance is very personal, so I should cease and desist from commenting!

Lesley

No - please keep commenting. Otherwise those who know how it should be done will be doomed in a sea of poor taste.

IMHO all men look like George Clooney in classic black tux's - I love seeing hubby in his! (something akin to men in uniform - fires my rockets all the time!). :D

My motto - don't try too hard!

YES! Men in uniform! Nothing to distract from the ladies. And YES--George Clooney.

As to the white dinner jacket, I have been told that the Dance Hosts are required to wear them. Regularly. Oh my... :rolleyes:

Are black tuxes still appropriate for warm weather cruises?

Black tuxes are always appropriate.

On a warm weather cruise a White (or, more precisely, Ivory) jacket is an appropriate alternative.

An easy guide is what the Officers are wearing 'blues' or 'whites'.

Here's an North American perspective.

Fingers crossed. You looked very dapper in your ... skirt ...:p

Hee hee - yeah, but still no George Clooney :D

And, as we both know, a mutual acquaintance has recently set a very high target in the highland accessory stakes!!!

J

Archived