Help with Canaletto

fpat

We tried the Vodka one due to raves on here but ours was not only cold, but all glued together.

We hadn't seen the cotton candy and my DIL said the look on my face when it was arriving made her wish she had a camera (her back was to it). I could NOT imagine what it was; surely WE hadn't ordered it! For the rest of the cruise, we called it, "the brain." It just looked so weird all rounded but flat on the plate and bright fuchsia. My Grandson gobbled it up; it and the antipasta were the best parts of the dinner.

My wife and I ate in the Canaletto on the Amsterdam last June when we were in Juneau. As was stated previously, the menu did not change the entire cruise which was disappointing. I had the Fruita de marre (shrimp, clams, mussels and maybe scallops served on pasta) it was good but the portion was too large. My wife had Cod puntenesca and she thought it was so-so. The antepasta and soup course were very good. My wife really enjoyed her dessert of limonchello creme.

The 7 sample menus on the website lead me to believe that the menu would change daily. There were several dishes on various menus that I would have liked to try.

The servers we had were very attentive and the venue was not very crowded.

We might do it again this May.

The 7 sample menus on the website lead me to believe that the menu would change daily. There were several dishes on various menus that I would have liked to try.

They really should correct that page! Those 7 menus were only used on the first couple of sailings of the Eurodam, and since then it has been the same fixed menu on all ships. (Except - possibly on longer voyages. Kween Karen reported variation on her 67 day cruise.)

So if you try it again in May you will likely find just the same menu.

I just got off the "O" on Saturday. We never made it to the Canaletto. We kept forgetting to make reservations until it was too late. You have to make them pretty early in the day if I remember right. They do keep a few open tables for walk in's, but as you have heard, the ship was packed! Open seats anywhere were very hard to find. Just remember to make a reservation when you get up in the morning so you don't forget!! I found the Italian section of the Lido buffet to be pretty good. The zucchini lazagna was great!

My wife and I ate in the Canaletto on the Amsterdam last June when we were in Juneau. As was stated previously, the menu did not change the entire cruise which was disappointing. I had the Fruita de marre (shrimp, clams, mussels and maybe scallops served on pasta) it was good but the portion was too large. My wife had Cod puntenesca and she thought it was so-so. The antepasta and soup course were very good. My wife really enjoyed her dessert of limonchello creme.

The servers we had were very attentive and the venue was not very crowded.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

The menu was changed from 7 different ones to just 1 (like the Pinnacle) shortly after the ship arrived for her Caribbean ports:

I have been posting her menu for quite some time when someone requests it.

Canaletto Menu

ANTIPASTI e ZUPE:

Our chef’s selection of antipasti, cucumber and olives

Insalata Canaletto – Seasonal greens and tomato, cucumber and olives

Minestrone – A flavorful tomato broth consisting of white beans, pasta shells, fresh vegetables and thyme

Zuppe Di Pesce – Assorted seafood simmered with vegetables, tomatoes, flat parsley and saffron

PASTA, CARNE, PESCE e POLLO

Penne Alla Vodka – A deliciously light combination of our Pomodoro sauce, cream and vodka

Linguini Frutti Di Mare – Linguini pasta and clams, mussels, shrimps and scallops tossed in garlic, onions and cherry tomatoes

Baked Meat Lasagna Pomodoro – Baked with meat and tomato sauce and gratinated with four cheese sauce.

Veal Milanese – Breaded veal scaloppini with porcini mushrooms, spaghetti and vegetables

Chicken Marsala Scaloppini – Tender Scallops of chicken breast glazed with Marsala wine. Served with linguini pasta tossed with tomato and roasted garlic

Cod Putanesca – Marinated in lemon, oregano and olive oil, quickly sautéed and coated with a flavorful herbed tomato concassee with kalamata olives, capers and chopped parsley, served with grilled cheese polenta and balsamic glace

Spaghetti with Meatballs – The classic way to eat spaghetti; home made meatballs braised in a tomato and meat sauce served over olive oil tossed spaghetti

DOLCI

Trio of Tiramisu – Italy’s most famous dessert: presented in three flavored variations, espresso, lemon and Amaretto

Limoncello Crème – Refreshing crème topped with Tuscan lemon liqueur

Mille-Feuille of Madagascar Chocolate – With walnut praline and ice-cream

Gelato – A refreshing and full-flavored selection: strawberry, mango, vanilla and lemon

We plan on trying it for at least one dinner during our upcoming Alaska cruise on Amsterdam. My husband loves pasta of any sort and I want to try the one with vodka that so many people recommend. We also want to try one of the wines there since we understand they're different from MDR.

If your husband loves pasta of any sort, he will have a FANTASTIC time. There is pasta on the MDR menu, and on the LIDO line...........and a "make just for you" station where they fix you a platter of pasta........as you wait. IT'S EXCELLENT..................and that station (has pizza as well) is still open at eleven p.m. during the "Midnight" Buffet

Enjoy:)

Last week no reservations were needed; you could just walk up. It was rarely even half full.

If your husband loves pasta of any sort, he will have a FANTASTIC time. There is pasta on the MDR menu, and on the LIDO line...........and a "make just for you" station where they fix you a platter of pasta........as you wait. IT'S EXCELLENT..................and that station (has pizza as well) is still open at eleven p.m. during the "Midnight" Buffet

Enjoy:)

Last week no reservations were needed; you could just walk up. It was rarely even half full.

Good to know pasta is also still a choice in MDR. There was also always a pasta available when we were on the Zaandam to Hawaii several years ago.

He won't eat in the Lido at all since he wants to be waited on. I usually eat lunch in the buffet while he eats at a 'shared' table in MDR. I'd told him about the 'made to order' pasta in the Lido when we were on the Zaandam but he's not going to stand in a line when he can be waited on in MDR. He's like that at home too. We never go to a buffet for a meal even though there are some good breakfast ones and a great dinner one in our area.

On our resent cruise we ate at the Canaletto, we also just walked up. We couldn’t get reservations so on our way to the Main Dining Room we stopped their first at 5:30 to check and they seated us right away. We really enjoyed this meal. We thought it was better than the meal we had the night before in the Pinnacle. The Antipasti was THE best. There were so many choices I could have made a meal out of that. I also had the salad and spaghetti and meat balls. My husband had the minestrone soup and lasagna. For desert we had the tiramisu and gelato. Service was excellent.

Archived