Island Princess Question

Travelrd

Only sailed on the Grand Class ships. Was wondering if there an International Cafe on the Island?

Thanks

No there is not on either the Island/Coral.

They do have a lobby type bar similar to the Grand/Star.

Only a tray or 2 of pastries usually.

I love the seating area in those bars, great window views!!

Agree. It was a particularly awesome place to be to see the walls of the locks as we descended.

I never did get over the feeling that we were sailing backward, though. Obviously I've spent too much time on the other classes of ship, where that lounge is on the port side . . . !

I love the seating area in those bars, great window views!!
On most of the ships without the International Cafe, it's called the Patisserie. They have cookies or other goodies throughout the day and fresh-baked chocolate chip cookies served from a cart that's wheeled to all of the tables at 3:30pm in the afternoon. You can get specialty coffee in addition to the usual sodas and drinks. We'd often go there during the day to relax as there were few people most of the time.

Last Summer, when we sailed on the Island, we were told by the Patisserie bartender that the Island was scheduled to get an International Cafe and Vines during a refit in September 2010. I haven't heard anything since, so I'm not sure if it was just a rumor, misinformation or a change of plan by Princess. Anyone know more?

No Vines or International Cafe, but they are sched for dry dock in fall of 2010. We just got off the Island a few weeks ago. Thre Patisserie just got a brand new Espresso machine and it is quite a machine...they were installing it on our voyage. You may use your coffee card at any bar/lounge location that has a coffee brewing setup.

No Vines or International Cafe, but they are sched for dry dock in fall of 2010. We just got off the Island a few weeks ago. Thre Patisserie just got a brand new Espresso machine and it is quite a machine...they were installing it on our voyage. You may use your coffee card at any bar/lounge location that has a coffee brewing setup.

Are you sure that Vines/International Cafe will be installed in that drydock? I was under the impression that it would just be MUTS (to match the Coral) and other general improvements.

You're right. And that's all Coral got; MUTS, new carpet in common areas and the Sanctuary.

They didn't even change the TV sets - still the old "tube" screens. Not that we watch TV at all during the cruise. Heck, we didn't go to MUTS either - too much other stuff to do when aboard - though we did pass through on deck at the end of the Bears/Vikes game just as they tied the score!

They didn't even change the TV sets - still the old "tube" screens!

I am not sure why people are so anxious to have the newer type tv screens in the cabins.

a) What is broadcast is not in hi-def, just the same resolution as on the tube type TVs.

b) The new type sets take significantly longer to warm up

c) The daily morning show is no better (or worse) on the newer type sets.

There is one advantage I have found. With the thin screen TVs, it is possible to easily reach and use the extra electrical outlet that is behind the TV. Great for charging batteries.

Archived