"Universal" shoes

chadci

Okay Chad,

So - you're 34 and want something cool, yet versatile for jeans, khakis and slacks.

A couple of questions to really help you the best here.

#1 What color are YOU? Dark hair? Blonde? Brown? What color skin and eyes?

(You want your accessories like shoes to just be a nice neutral for your own self first...

If it matches YOU, then it will blend better with whatever you are wearing.

#2 What is your body type and personal style (things you like, music, etc.)?

Are you large and thick, tall and thin, athletic?

(You should find a shoe that is in balance with YOU as well).

You also want it to reflect basic outside interests (it's a subconscious thing where it will just look more natural on you).

I need help finding a pair of shoes that I can wear with jeans, kaki pants AND slacks... trying to cut down on the packing a little bit. Any ideas?
I'm 34. I'm thinking something like this.. I don't dress up for work ( kaki pants and polo shirt or sweater most days so these would be perfect for that as well. Pretty close to what I wear not except my current pair laces up

531775?wid=230&hei=230&op_sharpen=1

This is in the right direction, but I'm a personally not a fan of shoes that curl up at the front (as too many do these days)...

It makes you look like you're secretly an Elf, or your shoes are waaaay too big for your feet and they are curling up in the front.

#3 What color pants (besides the khakis and jeans) are you talking about?

Do you own them already? Or you are going to buy them?

Theoretically you could get a nice, monochromatic leather sneaker.

These are specifically designed for this now, and are much more "now" than those curlyed up square toe things.

Let me know your thoughts and answers to the questions, and I'll do some virtual shopping for you to give you a few ideas.

Let's see if I can paint a picture, if not, I'll just post one

34, white male, 6'3 235lbs, short brown hair, blue eyes, black frame glasses. I don't wear much jewlery but I do wear a watch daily. I have a green canvas strapped military style Citizen for every day use and a nicer "silver" Seiko for nights out, special occasions etc... and by the time we board I'll be wearing a weddng band as well.

For dress clothes, hmmm, probably just a basic black slack ( typically flat front and uncuffed) and a couple button down shirts.

Okay Chad,

So - you're 34 and want something cool, yet versatile for jeans, khakis and slacks.

A couple of questions to really help you the best here.

#1 What color are YOU? Dark hair? Blonde? Brown? What color skin and eyes?

(You want your accessories like shoes to just be a nice neutral for your own self first...

If it matches YOU, then it will blend better with whatever you are wearing.

#2 What is your body type and personal style (things you like, music, etc.)?

Are you large and thick, tall and thin, athletic?

(You should find a shoe that is in balance with YOU as well).

You also want it to reflect basic outside interests (it's a subconscious thing where it will just look more natural on you).

This is in the right direction, but I'm a personally not a fan of shoes that curl up at the front (as too many do these days)...

It makes you look like you're secretly an Elf, or your shoes are waaaay too big for your feet and they are curling up in the front.

#3 What color pants (besides the khakis and jeans) are you talking about?

Do you own them already? Or you are going to buy them?

Theoretically you could get a nice, monochromatic leather sneaker.

These are specifically designed for this now, and are much more "now" than those curlyed up square toe things.

Let me know your thoughts and answers to the questions, and I'll do some virtual shopping for you to give you a few ideas.

Well, shoot! LOL..I was just about to start uploading some picture suggestions.

My teen boys wear their Skechers for everything except elegant night. :rolleyes:

LOL, yep, I'm all boy :D

I think Topsiders are the most versatile shoe out there for vacationing men! With socks, without socks, with shorts, khakis, jeans, even dress pants and sport coat. In a medium brown or tan, they'll go with every colour except a solid black outfit. They won't go out of style on you, either.

Sorry to say, not a fan of the black shoe.

As for crocs, depends on the style-they have more to choose from now, besides the ugly ones with the holes in them. I confess I own a pair of the ugly ones, but they do NOT leave my house. I wear them as a slipper to help ease the pain from tendonitis in my foot.

You can wear your runners aboard ship too-not in the dining room of course, or perhaps a rugged sporty sandal. I do like the idea of the boating shoe though.

Of those I'd say 3 and 5 too. I just cannot order shoes online... I have a super wide foot and one way or another I end up in a shop trying something on.

Here's my vote for #5 and #3 as well. Those are definitely headed in the direction that I was talking about.

Chad,

What stores are near you besides Kohl's?:confused:

I've got a bit of time tonight, so I'll peruse their websites and suggest some things you could try on at those stores that would be good for you.:cool:

Here's my vote for #5 and #3 as well. Those are definitely headed in the direction that I was talking about.

Chad,

What stores are near you besides Kohl's?:confused:

I've got a bit of time tonight, so I'll peruse their websites and suggest some things you could try on at those stores that would be good for you.:cool:

Well, thanks :)

I tend to do most of my shoe shopping at Shoe Carnival but last time I looked, they didn't have a website you can go through and look at shoes etc.

I don't know what shoe stores are in the mall, I've just not really paid attention.

Well, thanks :)

I tend to do most of my shoe shopping at Shoe Carnival

Here's the three best options for you personally at Shoe Carnival...

cn_114970_MED.jpg

Skechers 60101 Pixel

This is a great all around shoe for everything you need. For a beanpole guy, this would be too much, but for your proportions I think this is a great balance.

cn_133809_MED.jpg

Skechers Midnight

This one looks good. A softer square toe, so it works for you.

cn_128768_MED.jpg

Streetcar Carrera S/O

The third choice from Shoe Carnival. With the detailing down the side, it makes it not so old school and stuffy. If you're going to go for a loafer type shoe, then this is more young and modern.

So, those are the three that are decent for you from Shoe Carnival.

If you go to Kohl's, in their wide shoes...

591566?wid=230&hei=230&op_sharpen=1

Converse Work Shoes

These are actually super cool and modern for what you need. The smooth uncluttered styling and the leather material takes this up to a casual dress shoe level.

646110?wid=230&hei=230&op_sharpen=1

Deer Stags React Slip On

The React style is a great shape. Make sure that you don't get the Torino or Ticket styles - they're way too square literally and figuratively.

Hope that gives you good ideas, or get's you in the right direction.

Well, the Skeechers Midnight are almost identical to what I wear daily. never thought about wearing them with slacks though, you think that would be OK?

I don't like the boot style. I have a pair of Dr. Marten's that are like those ( black stitchings) and slip ons as opposed to laces. They're OK to wear with jeans and even kakis but I mostly just wear them on snowy days anymore ;)

Yep, those Skechers are perfect for slacks.

So those would be totally fine.

But if you have some cool Docs, I actually think those are great as well.

Almost any style of Docs would work perfect fort this.

So, it sounds to me like you're already set with two options that you already own.:cool:

So, it sounds to me like you're already set with two options that you already own.:cool:

Close but not quite... they both need to be replaced... They don't make either like they used to, that much I'm sure of. My first pair of Dr. Martens lasted years of daily wear... I have 2 pairs at home now, 1 brown 1 black. The browns were falling apart after 2-3 months. The black loafers, well, the tongue is ripping off but otherwise they have held up pretty well. Trouble with them, they were my every day shoe before I lost a gob of weight and are now so stretched out that unless I have thick socks on it's like wearing flip flops ;)

The Skeechers, well, I get about 6 months of daily wear out of each pair, these are close to a year old. I've polished them and glued them more than I care to.

Well, we made it to Shoe Carnival this afternoon. I found a few pairs that I liked, all different styles... I left with the pair she liked me in the best

4946_39_61752_blk.jpg

Also got a pair of

350_t9c4n_enduro_m.jpg

I love Asics, they always feel like they were made for me

I found a pair of sandals I didn't know I still had so the Croc's are off the hook ;)

Lastly, Curt, is the avatar a picture of you or Eric on True Blood? I watch it vacantly but Nikki loves it and reads the books in the off season etc.

Archived