"Universal" shoes

chadci

A pair of neutral-toned sandals or flats would be good, I think. Gladiator-type sandals are fashionable and, depending on the kind you get, quite comfortable. The shoes I most often wear with any kind of pant (skirts and dresses, too) would be any one of these:

Born gladiator sandals, in pewter

Sofft black flats

Merrell Plaza Bandeau in black

These, and styles like these, are really versatile, comfortable, and travel well. The Merrells will be coming with me on our upcoming cruise, and they'll go with lots of the outfits I plan to bring.

Happy shopping!

I guess I should have mentioned that I'm a boy ;)

We made a trip down to Kohls this evening and I had a look at a few different shoes, thinking a driving loafer or something along those lines. Probably stick with black.

HAHAHA. Yes, black or dark brown loafers should be fine. Skip the gladiator sandals, though!

Maybe not.:D

I don't know, the Jesus Christ / Russel Crowe look might work for me ;)

Hot, or I should say fierce, for Spring 2010.;)

http://www.allgladiatorsandals.com/2010/02/givenchys-very-fierce-spring-summer-2010-gladiator-sandals-for-men/

I was all set to recommend Privo ballet flats, but then I read you're male... so ;-) My husband has a wonderful pair of Tommy Bahama loafer/boat shoes (slip on loafer style, but with trim that resembles boat shoes)- they're great with jeans, shorts & casual slacks. He bought them on sale at Nordstrom a couple years ago and wears them all the time. They're a neutral color...

Yeah... not so much but thanks ;)

Like I said, I'm a boy and by default have gross looking ( and smelling) feet, I don't think any kind of sandals are in my near future... although, Croc's might work ;)

Yeah... not so much but thanks ;)

I'm just the messenger.:D I don't think their fierce, hot, or even lukewarm.

Like I said, I'm a boy and by default have gross looking ( and smelling) feet, I don't think any kind of sandals are in my near future... although, Croc's might work ;)

Now that's something that hasn't been mentioned around here in a long time since flip flops took over. There are better alternative to either.

CJW needs to chime in on this one.

OK, you're a boy, but what age group? That can make a huge difference. I can tell you what my husband wears, but he could be two full generations away from you.

I think I'd go with a neutral brown or tan color, not black.

OK, you're a boy, but what age group? That can make a huge difference. I can tell you what my husband wears, but he could be two full generations away from you.

I think I'd go with a neutral brown or tan color, not black.

I'm 34. I'm thinking something like this.. I don't dress up for work ( kaki pants and polo shirt or sweater most days so these would be perfect for that as well. Pretty close to what I wear not except my current pair laces up

531775?wid=230&hei=230&op_sharpen=1

I would tend to stay away from black.

If your feet do get hot normally, black will get even hotter.

Try for a neutral tone!!!!

I'll only be wearing them in the evenings. I'll be wearing running shoes during the day.

And is that a NO on crocks? :o But they're so comfortable. I do need to find something just for bumming around the ship then too. Actually, I found a pair of slip on loafers that might work... I have wide feet and flip flops have never really been that comfortable for me.

I'm a croc hater sorry. Personally I would go with a nice boat shoe RL and Tommy make nice ones that will go with just about any outfit, dressed up or down. Short of wearing a suit they would work.

The only time I would wear Croc's is to head down to the pool or make a run for coffee in the mornings, just something I can slip on and go.

For "dress up" nights, I'm just going to wear a dark pair of nice Dockers and a button down shirt or something easy like that.

Boat shoes would be OK but they're just not something I'll use back home. We have 5 kids ( combined families) so anything we get has to be multi-purpose ;)

The only time I would wear Croc's is to head down to the pool or make a run for coffee in the mornings, just something I can slip on and go.

For "dress up" nights, I'm just going to wear a dark pair of nice Dockers and a button down shirt or something easy like that.

Boat shoes would be OK but they're just not something I'll use back home. We have 5 kids ( combined families) so anything we get has to be multi-purpose ;)

CJW doesn't seem to be around anywhere.....probably still sleeping on the West Coast or too busy to check in.:) I looked up one of his old posts and although he was responding to someone younger, a few of his recommendations could work for you, especially since he talked about multi-purpose.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1087711&highlight=shoes+for+men

Curt.....where ARE you???

CJW doesn't seem to be around anywhere.....probably still sleeping on the West Coast or too busy to check in.:) I looked up one of his old posts and although he was responding to someone younger, a few of his recommendations could work for you, especially since he talked about multi-purpose.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1087711&highlight=shoes+for+men

Curt.....where ARE you???

Thanks for the link. One of the pairs is along the lines of what I posted, I feel like they're a pretty safe bet.

I wish this were as simple as sneakers. I tend to stick with Asics as they feel like they were cut for my foot and last for a long time... and they're about the only sneaker I can throw in the washer when they look rough, come out clean AND still all in one piece. I do let them air dry for about a week, though... I've got a few pairs in rotation ;)

I nice pair of loafers woudl work well and would be versatile afterwards at home too. Here's a link to a pair at Zappos

http://www.zappos.com/product/7608623/color/6

these may be a bit pricey, but you get the idea.

Here's a pair from Target.

http://www.target.com/Swiss-Gear-Leuk-Slip-Brown/dp/B00278ZLS4/ref=br_1_26?ie=UTF8&frombrowse=1&searchView=grid5&searchNodeID=16392861&node=16392861&sr=1-26&searchRank=pmrank&searchPage=1&searchSize=30&id=Swiss%20Gear%20Leuk%20Slip%20Brown&qid=

and one from Rack Room

http://www.rackroomshoes.com/product/varese/max/2202.311139.html

Hope this helps.

FYI Crocs will make your feet smell worse...:eek:

OP,

I think the shoes in the pic you posted would be great, but I would suggest going with a brown, even dark brown. My boyfriend wears a pair almost exactly like you posted with his jeans and they look great. Have a great cruise!! :)

I'm a Croc lover....but my son wasn't.

He needed a pair of shoes quickly and Croc's was all they had in his size.

He LOVES them!

They have a style that looks a lot like TEVA's. He now has those and a pair that look like boat shoes.

Check out the new styles they have.

There's no reason anyone (male OR female) should have gross looking or smelling feet. Take care of your feet and they will take care of you. And you won't be ashamed to take your shoes off at the pool:p

The gross looking part is a curse I got from my mom and she her's and on down the line. I've had surgery on my toes because of it, not for cosmetics but because it caused me pain etc... I just don't like to show them off...

As for smells, well, I'm a sweater and that's all there is to it.

I'll check out the Teva's as well. Thanks!

Archived