Hotel recommendation in Amsterdam

Piggy Cruiser

Dear all,

We'll be staying in Amsterdam for one night before my cruise trip begins. Any recommendation on hotel which is convenient for shopping in town? We've been thinking of Movenpick but don't know if it's too far from the shopping area.

Thanks in advance for your kind advice.

Regards,

Natalie

I have just booked the Radisson Blu, a block from Dam Square.

If you go to tripadvisor.com, FORUMS, there are wonderful "experts" on the Amsterdam booard that will help you a lot re areas to stay.

Movenpick is further from the canal ring, where we want to be.

We really enjoyed the Movenpick -- modern, clean, and convenient. It is right there where the ship comes in. One of the canal buses stops is just in front of the hotel, but I don't think it begins service there until around 9 or 10am. It is around a 15-minute walk to the shops and the train station. We love to walk, so that was good for us.

Kathy

Hello:

Amsterdam is a ringed city and you want to stay as close to Dam square as possible without being on one of the noisy main thoroughfares.

For Luxury we choose the Pulitzer hotel made up of canal houses and small but authentic Dutch rooms...kitchy place. However if you cannot climb stairs or prefer not to...this hotel is not for you. This hotel is 3 rings out from the center and a 10 minute walk to the main shopping street Kalver-Straat.

Kalverstraat cuts through Dam square and runs north south through the center of Amsterdam. De-Bjikorf is there and is their largest mid range department store in Amsterdam. All of these places are close to the cruise port. Also a nice street very close to good shopping and eating is called Spuistraat.....if I had my choice...I would find a hotel here.

Enjoy....Amsterdam is a great city.

Two years ago, while on the Jewel of the Seas, a lot of people bid on Priceline and got the Movenpick for their post cruise stay. We stayed at the Dorint Hotel at the airport and took the train in. It was a very nice hotel, but we heard that the Movenpick was wonderful and that is where we would stay if we ever get back to Amsterdam.

Shopping? You'll find prices in Amsterdam sky high. I just got back last week.

For just one night, I'd use the Moevenpick Hotel adjacent to the cruise terminal again.

I stayed at the Marriott Amsterdam this trip.. which was not a cruise. Nice hotel, but I prefer the Moevenpick for cruise passengers.

Remember, Celebrity starts embarkation between 11-1130AM.

Another vote for the Movenpick. Ask for a room that has a canal view and watch the ship come in during the early morning hours. It's a short walk to the train station and shopping area, but on the morning of your cruise, you just walk next door to check in. It was very nice.

I have just booked the Radisson Blu, a block from Dam Square.

If you go to tripadvisor.com, FORUMS, there are wonderful "experts" on the Amsterdam board that will help you a lot re areas to stay.

Movenpick is further from the canal ring, where we want to be.

I agree 100% with eandj. Tripadvisor is the place to find your hotel.

If you want something more traditional than the Movenpick look at

something more in-town. We stayed at the Ambassade, and it was great.

BTW, What are you shopping for?

The Van Gogh museum is exceptional, and well worth the 2-3 hours you will spend there. You can probably buy your tickets at your hotel, and avoid the lines.

Like in most cities the choice of hotels is wide. But you certainly will be happy with Movenpick.

Indeed ask for a room overviewing the port, so you can see your ship sail in early in the morning.

Apart from walking into town, tramsnr 25 begins next to the cruise/terminal into the center. Tramnr. 26 runs in front to Centraal Station.

More about public transport-

http://www.gvb.nl/english/travellers/maps/Pages/Maps.aspx

Last year we stayed in a private guest house in Amsterdam. We loved it! Picturesque location, easy transportation to center, gorgeous flat, and a warm Dutch welcome.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/VacationRentalReview-g188590-d1455531-or12-Linnaeussuite_private_guesthouse-Amsterdam_Noord_Holland.html#photos

Check the reviews -- mine is the one from June 2009.

It was a number of years ago but we stayed at one of the Golden Tulip hotels. Very nice older hotel. Much more reasonable than some of the American chains. I think they have a number of hotels in Amsterdam, we stayed at one right on a canal and very near everything.

I have never cruised from Amsterdam, but I have organized several meetings there. If you want a more "American" style hotel, I would go with the Marriott or the Renaissance. If you want a "European" feel, go with the Movinpick.

The Marriott Amsterdam is a very good choice. Good location and excellent accommodations.

Here's a second recommendation for the Marriott! It is worth staying there just for their strawberry pancakes for breakfast. Very, very thin pancakes with sliced strawberries in them. Yum.

Archived