Catholic Mass

bbbaby1976

From what I have read, it is an "interdenominational" service UNLESS it is a Catholic holiday (Easter, Christmas, etc) for which they will get a priest. We board on Palm Sunday and depart on Easter morning so I am not sure if we will get a mass or not.

We have been on 8 Princess cruises of varying lengths. The only time we have experienced mass is when there is actually a priest on board willing to celebrate. That has happened only once. When we are on cruises and want a mass, we tend to see if we are in port either Sunday or on Saturday evening and find a local church. We have experienced some very interesting and multi cultural masses by doing this, and have enjoyed it very much.

Hi Does Princess offer Catholic mass onboard their ships on Sundays?

Thanks,

Monica

On a couple of voyages there have been priests on board and there is Mass, but not as a policy.

HAL always has a priest on board

On Coral Princess 3/7/10 sailing for Panama Canal there was a Catholic Priest on Board as a passenger and he said Mass just about everyday. It was listed in the Princess Patter and seemed to be 7:30 AM in Universal Lounge. On Sat. night it was 5PM in Princess Theater (not Catholic so I could be wrong on times/place). Protestant Minister on Board offered a formal service each Sat/Sun also announced in Patter. Jewish services were offered if Passenger led with Princess having "ammenities" as no Rabbi was on board. It was very nice of these men of the cloth to have services while they were on vacation. Passengers appreciated it.

Thanks, we were thinking we would go to a local service on one Sunday while we are in Grenada, but on the following Sunday we are at sea. (we are on a 14 day sailing) I don't know if we can find a Saturday vigil mass that will allow us enough time to get back to the ship. I think we are in Antigua and the ship leaves at 5pm so we might be cutting it close.

Monica

It is unusual to find a Catholic priest onboard, except for major feast days (Easter/Christmas) where Princess attempts to provide Mass. We've had two Princess cruises of our 14 which happened to have priests onboard - one of those was a priest visiting shrines in Turkey.

We were onboard during Christmas, and Princess supplied a retired Carmelite priest to say Mass - we got to assist with leading the singing, as I have been a choir director. We've been onboard Palm Sunday and had an interdenominational service, with the Gospel being the entrance into Jerusalem, not the Passion.

We have seldom been in ports where local services are available. For instance, St. Kitts has a church within walking distance, but holds very early services, and we were not cleared for disembarkation yet.

We have found the Interdenominational services offered a good way to "Keep God's day holy".

We have travelled extensively around Europe, Australia, US and elsewhere and have found one of the best ways to get to attend Mass is to Google the name of the place we will be staying plus Catholic church, eg. 'Fort Lauderdale Catholic Churches'. If they have a website up will pop details of the churches and Mass times. In this way we have experienced and enjoyed some very beautiful Masses. While on the Diamond, there wasn't a Catholic priest on board so we were unable to attend Mass. We had brought a Mass book from home so quietly read the readings in our cabin. We also joined the interdenominational services.

From what I have read, it is an "interdenominational" service UNLESS it is a Catholic holiday (Easter, Christmas, etc) for which they will get a priest. We board on Palm Sunday and depart on Easter morning so I am not sure if we will get a mass or not.

Now I am confused. :confused: I always thought that Easter, Christmas, etc. were Christian holidays. Is it true that as a Lutheran I have been celebrating someone elses holiday by mistake?!?!?!?!:eek:

Confused? Me too!

I thought I was more or less celebrating a springtime fertility festival (eggs etc) and a mid winter celebration, both of them pagan in origin but adopted and adapted by the various more recent religions - of which I subscribe to several, being the product of a mixed marriage.

But - to be serious - the only line I have cruised on which almost always had a R.Catholic priest on board was Cunard, usually one mass daily for the passengers, say around 5pm, and another around 11pm intended for the crew, usually well attended, many Phillipinos being R.Catholic.

Actually attending a local Mass, in addition to the religious aspect of worship, affords an opportunity to participate in the local culture. Last month, my wife and I attended Mass on St. Lucia -- the children's mass in the cathedral. My wife felt very underdressed as the women and girls were attired in their finest. The sermon was a catechism lesson for the children and which suggests that the children on St. Lucia are far better schooled in the scriptures than their U.S. counterparts. In any case, the experience was very rewarding and far better than a shore excursion.

Archived