Spice Shopping

Sundsgn

I posted this on the Carnival board, but didn't get much response except more about not buying vanilla so I though I would try here.

We will be sailing the western caribbean in May...Cozumel, Ocho Rios and Grand Caymen.

Besides the vanilla and Rum..what other cooking spices or ingredients are the ones to buy there...or any that are native to the area that we should purchase for cooking at home?

Thanks.

Sun

In Jamaica, please do not forget to get your fresh curry powder. If you're not big on Jamaican curry, just ask them to cut down a little bit on the tumeric.

There is nothing on this earth that makes my tummy growl quite like West Indian curry.

*tummy growls just thinking about it*

Oh and as a side note...you CAN buy the vanilla in Mexico...just be careful which ones you buy. Avoid any that list coumarin as an ingredient. The rest are fine. I buy vanilla in Mexico at least once a year because it is stronger and you can buy large quantities inexpensively.

Here is the report from the FDA that lists the suspect brand vanillas:

http://www.fda.gov/ora/fiars/ora_import_ia2807.html

• 2 weeks later...
In Jamaica, please do not forget to get your fresh curry powder. If you're not big on Jamaican curry, just ask them to cut down a little bit on the tumeric.

There is nothing on this earth that makes my tummy growl quite like West Indian curry.

*tummy growls just thinking about it*

Thanks for the idea about the curry..FANTASTIC..just had some delish cream of chicken curry soup with mushrooms yesterday.....yummy Would love more ideas on things to bring home in the cooking world,,,will be getting curry, coffee in jamaica, vanilla and what else.....??????

This is something I never thought about. I'd LOVE o bring home some special spices but...

1. Wouldn't they be considered "Plants" and prohibited. (Like pot, tee hee)

2. Can't you get most of the same things in the US?

I'm lucky that I can pretty much pick up any caribean spice or coffe here in the Atlanta Metro area. But what else would be good to bring back? We're doing the Nassau/Freeport run.

I think it would only be contraband if it was fresh herbs or plants. I am not sure. I would think a nutmeg would maybe be ok...I brought home some strange nut or something from the DomRep last year, nobody said anything. I guess maybe they didn't consider that a plant? I don't know.

I love to shop in the markets at each port. St. Martin has fabulous French items in the supermarkets and great breads. Old Rums from Martinique. Blue mountain coffee in the shops at Ocho Rios. Taste it at the stalls in the market area. Not everyone likes the flavor and be sure to buy 100% and not a blend. Same in Hawaii when buying Kona or Maui coffee. Most islands sell spices and there are lots of homemade hot sauces. Check around if you have time and don't buy at the first shop as there is a lot of competition. I have a carry on bag to bring back all my food goodies. Just don't bring back fresh items as customs will take them. Good French cheese are also a find .

• 2 months later...

There are some interesting hot sauces in Grand Cayman - most of the places selling them will have tastings.

Mexican Vanilla is great and is now available in the US - as stated before - heed the guidelines.

Jamaican Spices especially the Jerk spices are prevalent - if you go to Sonjis Plaza there are a couple of stores that sell them

if you got st st.Maarten ( dutch side) lots of indian spices too go to the Guavaberry shop

Definitelly in Ocho Rios buy Jamaican Blue Mountain Coffee at Sonjis Plaza - couple of places sell it. US it is $56 a pound there it is between $13-17 and remember one lb of coffee makes 65 cups

• 4 weeks later...

Last Thanksgiving we stopped in a local grocery store located in Ochos Rios and bought all types of Walkerswood jerk season products. The table sauce (similar to A1, but spicy) is fantastic. Bought dry jerk season by 'Island Spices' and it is definitely spicier than the McCormicks brand that I buy at home. It contains lots of Mexican whole allspice in the mix. Was also able to get some fresh nutmeg (with the mace still on it) at the checkout. These nutmegs were so pretty that I didn't even want to use them. They cost me about $.25 each, and I got 2 spices for the price of one!

Going back this November, and plan to stock up again.

Archived