RSVP Questions (+ Holland America)

roen

Hey fellas! A few questions from a newbie RSVP'er. We're booked on next Feb's Nieuw Amsterdam.

Here's what I'm wondering (and forgive me if this is readily available somewhere - I've combed the annals of CC and HAL, and couldn't find it):

1) On Atlantis, on RCI, the standard hours of the dining options were extended/shuffled around so all of us late-night boys still had someplace to nosh. Do they do that on RSVP? One of the main reasons I'm asking is b/c my partner is vegetarian, and the room service menu that I found for HAL seems kind of skimpy as far as veggie options go. Will the late-night buffet or the pizza place be open later than midnight?

2) I've read that HAL sells week passes to the steam room/sauna/thalassooftruth-somethingorother pool. When can you buy these? I'm guessing on a gay cruise they sell out fast - are they hard to get? We're TOTAL spa people, so I want to make sure we get them.

3) Anybody know offhand who the last few years' special guests have been? I know Jennifer Coolidge (whom I ADORE), and Abigail (who I also love), and Cheyenne Jackson (woof!)... any others stand out?

4) Similar to #1, do they keep the pools open later? (Or, how late are they open?)

5) I'd read before that RSVP assigned dining times, but when I called to book this one, the rep said that it's all open seating now. Is this new? Do they still do a formal night (and if so, how optional is it)?

...I think that's it! Thanks, guys!

Hey fellas! A few questions from a newbie RSVP'er. We're booked on next Feb's Nieuw Amsterdam.

Here's what I'm wondering (and forgive me if this is readily available somewhere - I've combed the annals of CC and HAL, and couldn't find it):

1) On Atlantis, on RCI, the standard hours of the dining options were extended/shuffled around so all of us late-night boys still had someplace to nosh. Do they do that on RSVP? One of the main reasons I'm asking is b/c my partner is vegetarian, and the room service menu that I found for HAL seems kind of skimpy as far as veggie options go. Will the late-night buffet or the pizza place be open later than midnight? Yes, there will be food available in the Lido.

2) I've read that HAL sells week passes to the steam room/sauna/thalassooftruth-somethingorother pool. When can you buy these? I'm guessing on a gay cruise they sell out fast - are they hard to get? We're TOTAL spa people, so I want to make sure we get them. You can buy them from the spa on embarkation day or anytime in between. If you're that intersted, I would recommend you go directly to the spa upon boarding.

3) Anybody know offhand who the last few years' special guests have been? I know Jennifer Coolidge (whom I ADORE), and Abigail (who I also love), and Cheyenne Jackson (woof!)... any others stand out? Let's not forget Amy and Freddy.

4) Similar to #1, do they keep the pools open later? (Or, how late are they open?) Pools are not kept open any later, the aft pool deck is used as a dance and party area most evenings. I'm sure there is a liability issue.

5) I'd read before that RSVP assigned dining times, but when I called to book this one, the rep said that it's all open seating now. Is this new? Do they still do a formal night (and if so, how optional is it)?RSVP has indicated there will be all open seating in 2011. In the past you had three options, early, late or open. However, if you chose early or late and chose to eat at one or the other, or alternate each night, the seating time was never enforced. That said, dining has pretty much been open seating for years.

...I think that's it! Thanks, guys!

Hope this helps. Welcome aboard.

Typhoon1 gave you good answers.

As for late night dining: the Lido is open late. Dancing outside ondeck goes till 2:30 am and the Lido is open at that time with lots of food options. That's part of our routine - dance till late then go eat! :)

On the one RSVP trip we took, we had Kristine W, Thelma Houston, and Kimberly Locke...

Not a bad trio...

Yes, a GREAT trio !!

I'd mention Joan Rivers, Helen Reddy, Gloria Gaynor, Sandra Bernhard, and Betty Buckley from a few different sailings back in the 90's, but, that would make me feel too old.................. One of those performers wasn't treated very well. ;)

Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

Thank you all very much - that covers everything I was wondering about :). I'm glad they keep the nosh pit open late, and the previous guest list has me all excited.

Really looking forward to seeing you all (whoever's doing 2011 Caribbean, anyway).

One of those performers wasn't treated well.

She wasn't treated very well because she didn't treat the audience very well. When you refer to your audience as a bunch of **cking **ggots, you deserve to have a glass hurled at you.

Since then, RSVP seems to have scaled back on its entertainment budget. Placing much less emphasis on big name entertainers.

She wasn't treated very well because she didn't treat the audience very well. When you refer to your audience as a bunch of **cking **ggots, you deserve to have a glass hurled at you.

Since then, RSVP seems to have scaled back on its entertainment budget. Placing much less emphasis on big name entertainers.

Holy crap - who was that?

That's who I intuitively suspected :). She is... feisty.

After the glass was hurled, she walked off the stage.

Word around the ship was The Captain had her removed from the ship during the night for her own safety. The incident received coverage in The Advocate and Out magazines at the time.

Taylor Dayne was one of the performers on the February 2006 cruise. Not sure of the ship since I was not on it. My partner and her friends were all stoked to see her.

That was dung the Paul Figlemiler (sp) ownership era. He placed a different priority on entertainment. Since then, he sold the company to PlanetOut. which almost bankrupted it. Subsequently, it was sold, to Atlantis, and they bring Charlie Rounds back to run the RSVP portion.

Over the past three years, you've seen Charlie and Andy's signature on the entertainment portion. That should give you an idea of what kind of entertainer to expect in the future.

Oh well, who ever is the guest entertainer this dumb European has never heard of him/her anyway. :o:o But it's fun observing you guys going all grazy over it and having fun :-)

I can remember long time ago during the opening of the gay games in Amsterdam the European part of the stadium going wild over Dana International... the other half stayed very calm...

Oh well, who ever is the guest entertainer this dumb European has never heard of him/her anyway. :o:o But it's fun observing you guys going all grazy over it and having fun :-)

I agree Reint. Entertainers are the LAST thing I worry about on a cruise.

There are many evenings we even skip the Main stage entertainment.

And probably the most memorable entertainer I have seen on an RSVP cruise was Leslie Jordan. It was the funniest hour I have ever spent on a cruise. He is hilarious. The entertainment is one of the reasons I so enjoy all-gay cruises.

I can remember long time ago during the opening of the gay games in Amsterdam the European part of the stadium going wild over Dana International... the other half stayed very calm...

I may have been one of the few from this side of the Atlantic that had a any idea who Dana was. :D Then again, I grew up with the Eurovision Song Contest (even though that was in South Africa).

Having been involved with the Gay Games in New York in 1994, I enjoyed seeing how the Europeans presented it. I don't want to go to other countries and see what I can see at home.

As for the entertainment on RSVP cruises: it is not an important part of the experience for me. I would still have a great time without seeing any of it. :D

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

DH and I are also looking at the February 2011 RSVP cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam. I have a couple of questions similar to the questions Roen asked.

1) Are the dining room hours the same on this cruise as a standard HAL sailing or are they shifted later?

2) Do the specialty restaurants operate as normal? Same fees, menus, etc?

3) Can you purchase the wine/soft drink packages like on other HAL cruises?

Thanks!

Hi,

DH and I are also looking at the February 2011 RSVP cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam. I have a couple of questions similar to the questions Roen asked.

1) Are the dining room hours the same on this cruise as a standard HAL sailing or are they shifted later? We have been told RSVP will utilize an open seating ONLY on this cruise.

2) Do the specialty restaurants operate as normal? Same fees, menus, etc? No changes from the standard HAL procedures.

3) Can you purchase the wine/soft drink packages like on other HAL cruises? Everything HAL offers on a non charter will be available.

Thanks!

Hope this helps.

Archived