sunblock and/orbug spray in flights?

Vianky

No not using them INSIDE the plane lol but are these items allowed in flight carry on bags? Our plan is to just take carry on's and Im trying to figure out if bug spray and sunblock fall under that 30oz rule or if I will have to buy them when I land.

Thanks!

Vianky

It's actually 3.4 ozs or less: http://www.tsa.gov/311/

I go to Walmart / Target and buy the travel sizes and never have a problem.

The travel sizes are pretty small for my family of 4 for 7 days. Do you buy a few of those? Or do you just buy a travel size and use it until you get to the port where you buy for the rest of the week?

Buy a couple of travel sizes for your carry-on and stick a big bottle in your checked luggage. As for the bug spray, I've never had to use it, but if I needed to fly with it, I would seriously consider getting the wipes instead of the spray, just because it's not compressed air.

The travel sizes are pretty small for my family of 4 for 7 days. Do you buy a few of those? Or do you just buy a travel size and use it until you get to the port where you buy for the rest of the week?

Since you do not plan to check your luggage, if each family member has a carry-on, you could pack a quart sized zip bag in each, with trial sizes (< 3 oz.) of what you need in each.

I was at the TSA website trying to find info it says no liquids, aerosols and gels more then 3.4oz. Now could I just get around that by bringin what ever size I want CREAM sunblock? or is that a no no to. I mean its not a liquid or a gel.

I was at the TSA website trying to find info it says no liquids, aerosols and gels more then 3.4oz. Now could I just get around that by bringin what ever size I want CREAM sunblock? or is that a no no to. I mean its not a liquid or a gel.

I doubt it. My sister's jar of Cheez Whiz was confiscated before her flight and the TSA agent said it fell under the 3-1-1 prohibitions. She had to eat her Ritz crackers dry! :eek:

Is the reason for carry-on's a cost issue for checked baggage...if it is, by the time you buy all these travel sizes of gels, liquids, and creams and each put in a quart ziplock, it would probably be cheaper to check one piece of luggage with the big sizes that everyone can use all week. I guess you can buy everything new, once you get to your destination, but then you would have to toss out unused portions before you fly home....or check a bag on the way home. Several possibilities

Are you also going to be needing shampoo, conditioner, body lotions, face moisturizer? It all adds up. The ship does have the shampoo dispenser, but I personally don't like it. Other's are OK with it and just bring extra conditioner.

No not using them INSIDE the plane lol but are these items allowed in flight carry on bags? Our plan is to just take carry on's and Im trying to figure out if bug spray and sunblock fall under that 30oz rule or if I will have to buy them when I land.

Thanks!

Vianky

We fly a lot and you CAN put liquids in your checked luggage, like shampoo and sun screen, if you put it in a ziplock (freezer type thats thicker) ,,that said you can still risk something getting a hole in it

Is the reason for carry-on's a cost issue for checked baggage...if it is, by the time you buy all these travel sizes of gels, liquids, and creams and each put in a quart ziplock, it would probably be cheaper to check one piece of luggage with the big sizes that everyone can use all week.

I have not checked a bag in over 10 years when flying and 3 years of cruise ships, convience factor. My convertable backpack bag is with me at all times, nothing gets lost or stolen.

They will take it.. I mistakenly had my cream sunblock in my carry-on (SO put it there didn't tell me) and it was confiscated.. don't try it.. do as mentioned buy the travel size.. and then if you need more purchase it in port.. we have never in our 8 cruises brought any bug spray.. and only once did my SO say that he could have used it at one port only...;)

Not the Cheez Whiz. What is this country coming to?:eek:
No kidding.

We've had tiny ice cream containers confiscated. You know, the little 4 oz or so Ben&Jerry's they sell. At the airport. In Burlington Vermont.

I had already gone through security, so I had to come back out to eat the ice cream.

Boneheads.

- Steve

I wanted to do carry-ons only for a few reasons.

I don't want to have so much space taken by luggage in the cabin, Not having to check it and having to look for it after we land and mostly because I really think we will be OK with just carry-on's. I'm pretty sure we will be able to fit everything we need in 4 carry ons and if we can then I don't find the point in waisting money to check them. I like the idea of just walking on and off the plane.

I guess my options are, maybe we could check just one of our carry-ons and put what we need in there.

Take several travel size sunblock in each carry on

Or just buy everything at some store once we get there. We will be there the day before so I would have time to do it if I needed to.

I could really deal with the ships shampoo. Ive never really been picky about my hair but would like to take some perfume.

I wanted to do carry-ons only for a few reasons.

I don't want to have so much space taken by luggage in the cabin, Not having to check it and having to look for it after we land and mostly because I really think we will be OK with just carry-on's. I'm pretty sure we will be able to fit everything we need in 4 carry ons and if we can then I don't find the point in waisting money to check them. I like the idea of just walking on and off the plane.

I guess my options are, maybe we could check just one of our carry-ons and put what we need in there.

Take several travel size sunblock in each carry on

Or just buy everything at some store once we get there. We will be there the day before so I would have time to do it if I needed to.

I could really deal with the ships shampoo. Ive never really been picky about my hair but would like to take some perfume.

Your liquids, gels, creams, toothpaste, lotion, etc. need to be in 3.4 oz containers or less and in a quart sized ziploc bag. Each person can have 1 ziploc bag.

EVERY time I fly I see someone that has something that is too big to carry on. This past weekend I saw someone say good-bye to their favorite hair product because it was in a bottle that was over 3.4 oz. :(

Archived