Eating In Other Countries, Safe for Preggos and Toddlers?

floridian1

Hey everyone!! So I will be 17 weeks pregnant on our cruise, and I will also have a toddler with us. I was wondering how safe it will be to eat the foods in these other countries.. We are going to be at Channakanub in Cozumel, Doing the 8 Hour Panama Canal Cruise (They are serving a sandwich..A little worried about listeria) and we are doing the Tortuguero canals in Costa Rica. I have to admit that I have never ate food out of the US and Being pregnant and having a little one makes me nervous since I know they may prepare it differently...etc. Am I over reacting, or is there a reason to worry??

I would be hyper vigilant about my diet if I were pregnant. Processed deli meat is a definite no-no while pregnant but many women do not realize this. Perhaps you could pack some granola bars or something similar in the event you, or your toddler, are unable to eat the prepared food.

yep, I probably wont be eating that sandwich on the panama canal cruise...Do you think that a restaurant in Cozumel at Channakanub park would be safe, or should I print food from the ship (not sure how I will keep it fresh....)

You need to be VERY careful eating anywhere in Mexico while pregnant. I'm not saying that places are bad, but they do not have the same sanitary requirements that we have in the US and Canada. Also, I would not purchase any bottled water in those areas, UNLESS you are the one to break the seal on the bottle. Some places are known to re-use the water bottles and fill them with tap water---and tap water in Mexico might not be safe. In addition, I would avoid drinking anything with ice cubes. Although they say the cubes are made with purified water, you just never know. Take bottled water from the ship and you'll be fine. While I know that many tourists eat at local places, when you're pregnant one tiny bug could be awful.

BTW, you cannot bring food off the ship. The only things allowed are factory sealed items like granola bars, cereal boxes and things like that. No sandwiches, no fruit or anything prepared on the ship.

What about energy bars and/or those pre-packaged toddler meals (you could bring a few for yourself on those days as well)? They have some toddler meals that are designed to be served at room temperature. And yes, I agree about bringing water from the ship for both of you.

Even in St. Maarten, which probably would have been fine, we opted to head back to the ship for lunch when I was pregnant. If that's not an option with your plans, I'd plan on bringing your own.

In Panama, there's no way to 'get back to the ship'...those are some LOOOONG excursions. The food will come from the ship, and assuming it's been kept at a proper temperature, it's fine to eat...but I've heard (from tablemates who took a "lunch included" excursion) that the food wasn't refrigerated and was too warm for them to eat without fear of foodbourn illness.

On most of the islands, the food and drink is quite safe, but not in Mexico, unless you're at a resort!

I always bring cereal bars, granola bars, trail mix, etc. in my bag in port. You may want to bring some pre-packaged stuff like that with you - also so that you're not at the mercy of eating whenever they serve - you and your toddler may be hungry at different times during the day.

Best,

Mia

Ahh yes, I could even bring some protein shakes...good tips..I am glad I asked here :)

Now I am having a little bit of reservations about going on the Panama Canal 8 hour excursion, I'm afraid of getting heat exhaustion while being on the ferry boat for 6 hours...

If it makes you feel any better (or worse:o), I think you are more likely to get heat exhaustion than anything else. I have studied for 1 month+ in Mexico, plus many land based vacations, and feel that many people over-exaggerate the water/ice cube problems. Just avoid the tap water and you will be golden :) The bottled water is fine as long as you crack the seal - I have never, ever seen one that I didn't crack myself. That doesn't mean it hasn't happened to someone before, I just think it is more remote than it is made out to be. I have had some tummy issues on and off over my travels. Most are related to change in schedule, the heat, too much alcohol, not enough liquids to make up for sweating, and lastly, a change in diet. You will be susceptible to all of those, minus the alcohol, and have all the added pregnancy dietary restrictions - fish, processed meats, sprouts, etc.

As for the eating, the heat is a big part of the risk. If you are not used to traveling to the Caribbean, you should avoid things like uncooked veggies, even salads. Is the excursion through the ship? If it is, maybe a special diet arrangement can be made ahead of time? Or if it is private, maybe email ahead and tell them you are concerned.

Ahh yes, I could even bring some protein shakes...good tips..I am glad I asked here :)

Now I am having a little bit of reservations about going on the Panama Canal 8 hour excursion, I'm afraid of getting heat exhaustion while being on the ferry boat for 6 hours...

Not to mention that an 8 hour excursion might be a bit long for your little one, and it's not like you can just go back if your toddler gets fussy. You're stuck with a screaming baby which isn't pleasant for you or anyone around you.

You might want to find something else to do on that stop that would afford you a little more flexibility for both you and your child. While it might sound like a great experience, this might not be the right time in your life to pursue it. You might want to try it later when the kids are bigger, with or without them.

yep, I probably wont be eating that sandwich on the panama canal cruise...Do you think that a restaurant in Cozumel at Channakanub park would be safe, or should I print food from the ship (not sure how I will keep it fresh....)

Do be aware that you will not be allowed to bring most fresh food off the ship in any case. There are very strict agricultural laws in most countries to prevent infestation from foreign pests and pathogens. Fruit, vegetables, many meats/nuts/seeds, and some cheeses will be forbidden. You will (probably) be allowed to bring commercially pre-packaged items, but nothing else. So keeping fresh food from the ship fresh won't be an issue.

beachchick

The reason you can't bring food off a ship is the same reason why you cannot bring back any agricultural products back to the US. They don't want any kinds of foreign critters that could devistate the local ecosystem.

The rules are never drink the tap water, fresh brewed ice tea, ice or frozen drinks in Mexico or Central America. Only drink bottled waters, sodas, etc. (or canned) Avoid fresh fruits unless you peal them yourself. Do not eat fresh veggies/salads etc because they have been rinsed off with the water. I've eaten in many different places and did not have a problem. Your best bet while being pregnant is to make sure you to take high protein cereal bars with you. Many cruises offer meals on the excursions. Some are from the ship and they will note that on the excursion details. Others are from places that someone has said it's ok to eat there. :)

As for an 8 hr tour I would be more concerned about the toddler than the fact that you were pregnant. :) Drink lots of water and stay hydrated. :)

I was "preggers" on my second cruise (Pacific Princess 1979 doing Mexican Riviera), ate at every port, had ice in my drinks, drank local water, and no such thing as bottled water. I wasn't aware of my "status" at the time, but eight months later, kid#4 was born happy and healthy. And, I wasn't sick during or after the cruise. Now, this was a long time ago, but I think that sometimes too much is being made of "local" water, food, and all that. I did get sick after eating a salad at a restaurant in St. Thomas (a US territory), but never got sick after eating or imbibing in Caribbean ports (except STT), including Mexico. We spent two weeks in Costa Rica - rented a car, drove all over, stayed in local hotels, and ate local food. No problems at all. I don't have the proverbial cast-iron stomach, and got horribly seasick on a TA crossing when I was a kid (still can't look at chocolate ice cream without wanting to barf) and horribly car sick more than once after snacking on Cheerios (which are not allowed within 50 feet of my house). It's probably psychological, at least with me. If Mexico hadn't cleaned up the "water" issues in their tourist areas years ago, cruise ships wouldn't be going there today. And, many, like me, wouldn't have gone to great AI resorts in Mexico over and over again. The standard Caribbean/Mexican Ports of Call (for the last....um....30+ years) are still there. If there were continuing problems with food and water, these ports would have been dropped.

I'm not trying to freak you out or anything with this either, but just wanted to give you a head's up. I lived in Costa Rica for awhile and took a visiting friend to the Tortuguero canals. She ended up getting bitten by some type of bug (I wish I could remember the name) and ended up getting some crazy itchy burning rash and fever that lasted for a couple of months. The docs back in the U.S. were baffled. So make sure that you all wear some good bug spray.

I wouldn't be overly concerned about the food. You will probably just want to avoid seafood, tap water, and street food. Fruit is usually fine if it has been cut up in a restaurant or is bought whole with the peel still intact. Just don't purchase the cut up fruit from the street vendors (even though it'll look so good). Stick to staples like rice and beans, tortillas, etc. These are things that are eaten daily in these cultures, so they are usually made daily. I also wouldn't fear beef, chicken, pork, etc. For the tours, you may want to pack some trail mix or granola bars, just in case they do have something you're unsure about eating.

You should also consider getting a Hep A vaccine and any other vaccines that might be relevant to the areas you are visiting (if they are safe to get during pregnancy) and check to see if your son has everything that he needs. I knew a few people in Costa Rica that got Hep A while living there. Not a fun thing to get.

I'm not trying to freak you out or anything with this either, but just wanted to give you a head's up. I lived in Costa Rica for awhile and took a visiting friend to the Tortuguero canals. She ended up getting bitten by some type of bug (I wish I could remember the name) and ended up getting some crazy itchy burning rash and fever that lasted for a couple of months. The docs back in the U.S. were baffled. So make sure that you all wear some good bug spray.

Yikes I did not even think about the bugs!!!

I lived on the Mexican border for a couple of years in the 1990's and got quite an education about why to avoid fresh fruit and vegetables. They are not just washed in the local water they are grown with it as well. Many of these water sources contained raw sewage. Unless you can wash the fruit or vegetables yourself in clean water and soap, or are having them at a high quality local restaurant you feel certain is doing this, you may just be eating the raw sewage. And yes, I have seen people refilling water bottles with local tap water to sell to tourists. Be careful about what water you use, wash anything you can with it before putting it your mouth or your toddler's mouth and above all stay hydrated. I cruised NE/Canada at 20 weeks and overdid it in a couple of ports. It was summer but probably not as hot as Mexico and Panama. I was used to walking 2 miles a day at home so I didn't think anything about walking a lot in ports. I found out that was not such a great idea. I don't think an 8 hour tour is necessarily a bad idea as long as it is not too strenuous for you and you bring things to occupy the toddler. (We brought a small portable dvd player last summer for my 4 year old to use while we did the Baltics. I had to break it out during a 12 hour day tour in St Petersburg and everyone commented on how amazingly well she did.) Check with your OB about vaccines, appropriate insect repellent, etc. Also be sure the ship knows you will need special meals provided if you are taking a ship's tour. Enjoy - I'm sure it will be wonderful.

Hey everyone!! So I will be 17 weeks pregnant on our cruise, and I will also have a toddler with us. I was wondering how safe it will be to eat the foods in these other countries.. We are going to be at Channakanub in Cozumel, Doing the 8 Hour Panama Canal Cruise (They are serving a sandwich..A little worried about listeria) and we are doing the Tortuguero canals in Costa Rica. I have to admit that I have never ate food out of the US and Being pregnant and having a little one makes me nervous since I know they may prepare it differently...etc. Am I over reacting, or is there a reason to worry??

You don't say which cruise line but Carnival has boxes of cereal for breakfast, or at least on the ship I was on. I don't know any toddler that won't eat either cheerios or fruit loops. Adults either for that matter.

They are light weight and the boxes make it hard to crush them into complete oblivion in your tote or backpack. If you want, bring along an insulated snack bag with a ziploc bag of ice and a couple boxes of milk from breakfast. You can't bring fruit but there is nothing wrong with boxes of stuff.

Also, Slim Jims. Our families absolute favorite "I am starving and we are nowhere near a restaurant" food. Very calorie dense. Not a meal but enough to get you through an hour or so. And my 4 year old will eat them too (but not my 9 year old).

Some of the "protein bars" are pretty good as well - Clif bars etc.

Archived