Impressed with Carnival...Until it came to the most important day of my life!!

melraemic

This coming week, I am booked on what would be my 4th or 5th cruise with Carnival. I've always chosen Carnival because I am impressed with their hard working staff and fabulous customer service. Unfortunately, I don't even want to go on this cruise. I found out yesterday that the cruise I booked in November has been cancelled. This was also suppose to be my wedding day. I had paid my deposits, checked, double checked and triple checked to make sure our date was available, booked a state room, and confirmed that everything was as it should be. I was reassured every time that everything was fine. They called yesterday to tell me my date was "no longer available". After all of save the dates have been sent, family members have booked airline tickets, and everyone's staterooms were booked, I find out I cannot have my wedding. Why? Because a corporate company, presumably with more money than I have, chartered the ship YESTERDAY, so my wedding that has already been in the plans for well over a month is being bumped. Now, I don't want to sail with Carnival ever again. I guess I would feel differently if they were willing to work with me in some way: refund my save the date money, offer us an upgrade on our upcoming Spring break cruise, or help us get booked on another ship, even if its not with their cruise line. But, no....Carnival has done none of these things. The only option I have been given is to change my wedding date. Ask my grandparents to change their airline tickets at a cost of 150.00 a piece, even though they are on a fixed income. Possibly have a wedding with no family there. Thanks, Carnival, for those options, but no thanks. I'd prefer not to spend my money with you. It is obvious that making a quick buck is more important to to you than providing good customer service. And that is fine, but know that I will NEVER sail Carnival again and I will tell everyone I know to NEVER sail Carnival again. I have been blind sided by this lack of customer service...Carnival is normally top notch, and I am dissapointed. So, as you can see, I do not want to sail with them next week, and sadly this will be my fiance's first experience on a cruise. Not a good one. Thanks, Carnival, for taking the joy out of our Spring break...and for ruining the most important day of our lives.

This coming week, I am booked on what would be my 4th or 5th cruise with Carnival. I've always chosen Carnival because I am impressed with their hard working staff and fabulous customer service. Unfortunately, I don't even want to go on this cruise. I found out yesterday that the cruise I booked in November has been cancelled. This was also suppose to be my wedding day. I had paid my deposits, checked, double checked and triple checked to make sure our date was available, booked a state room, and confirmed that everything was as it should be. I was reassured every time that everything was fine. They called yesterday to tell me my date was "no longer available". After all of save the dates have been sent, family members have booked airline tickets, and everyone's staterooms were booked, I find out I cannot have my wedding. Why? Because a corporate company, presumably with more money than I have, chartered the ship YESTERDAY, so my wedding that has already been in the plans for well over a month is being bumped. Now, I don't want to sail with Carnival ever again. I guess I would feel differently if they were willing to work with me in some way: refund my save the date money, offer us an upgrade on our upcoming Spring break cruise, or help us get booked on another ship, even if its not with their cruise line. But, no....Carnival has done none of these things. The only option I have been given is to change my wedding date. Ask my grandparents to change their airline tickets at a cost of 150.00 a piece, even though they are on a fixed income. Possibly have a wedding with no family there. Thanks, Carnival, for those options, but no thanks. I'd prefer not to spend my money with you. It is obvious that making a quick buck is more important to to you than providing good customer service. And that is fine, but know that I will NEVER sail Carnival again and I will tell everyone I know to NEVER sail Carnival again. I have been blind sided by this lack of customer service...Carnival is normally top notch, and I am dissapointed. So, as you can see, I do not want to sail with them next week, and sadly this will be my fiance's first experience on a cruise. Not a good one. Thanks, Carnival, for taking the joy out of our Spring break...and for ruining the most important day of our lives.

.....that truly sucks.

I would just like to know, how did you pick this website today to vent your frustration? I would have thought getting married on the ship and been on previous cruises that you would have been a regular on here already?

:confused:

Im sorry this had to happen. Iv heard of it happening before. Usually Carnival will work somewhat with you to change to another ship. Is there another ship you could change to?

I know how upset you must be. Id be crying. I would never plan a wedding on a ship, because you just never know... or in a port a cruise is supposed to go to.

I am so sorry this happened to you....I hope you can find a alternative cruise.

I am so sorry this happened to you!! I understand your frustration and disappointment.

Did anyone in your party purchase travel insurance? If so, it may be worth looking into whether or not it will cover the flight change fees for your family members.

I hope that it all works out. :(

I'm not sure who you've talked with so far but you might try posting this problem on John Healds blog. John is their senior cruise director and specializes in cutting through the red tape and buracracy. I would think Carnival should work with you on this and given all of their ships surely there would be a way to make this work. John may be able to contact the right folks at Carnival on your behalf and help put your wedding plans back on track. Just do an internet search for John Heald and you will find his blog. Good luck

What ship and date are you talking about? I'd like to check out which company booked an entire ship....

I am sure that if they just did this today and the ship sails next week (unless I read it wrong) there should be lots of these post tonight

First I want to say I am so sorry that happened to you. I'd be devasted. Weddings have so much drama anyways, you sure dont' need more added to it.

Next I want to respond to this:

So, as you can see, I do not want to sail with them next week, and sadly this will be my fiance's first experience on a cruise.

I assume you have a cruise booked next week. Do NOT let this ruin that cruise. You owe your Fiance more than that. The crew on this ship didn't ruin your wedding. They didn't do anything to you so go in with the same attitude you've always had that you will go an enjoy yourself. You can be mad a corporate all you want for ruining your wedding by why let it not only ruin your cruise that you are going on next week but even more importantly your first cruise with your fiance? Do you really want to let some company have that kind of power over your happiness.

So prepare now to go on this cruise and have an awesome time with future DH and make some great memories. You can deal with corporate after you get back. Leave it behind and enjoy your time with each other.

I am sure that if they just did this today and the ship sails next week (unless I read it wrong) there should be lots of these post tonight

OP has a cruise booked with fiance next week. Wedding was booked for a November cruise.

I'm not sure who you've talked with so far but you might try posting this problem on John Healds blog. John is their senior cruise director and specializes in cutting through the red tape and buracracy. I would think Carnival should work with you on this and given all of their ships surely there would be a way to make this work. John may be able to contact the right folks at Carnival on your behalf and help put your wedding plans back on track. Just do an internet search for John Heald and you will find his blog. Good luck

Sound advice.

Patty in Houston

Which port were you leaving from? Is there another cruise on a different line leaving from the same port that could accomodate you? That way no one would have to change their plane tickets.

In any case, I am so sorry this happened to you. I cannot imagine how upsetting and disappointing that would be. :(

What ship and date are you talking about? I'd like to check out which company booked an entire ship....

The ship was the Imagination out of Miami on November 12th.

Thank you all for your responses, especially the info regarding the senior cruise director!!

OP has a cruise booked with fiance next week. Wedding was booked for a November cruise.

Reread it, thanks. Not enough wine in me yet for full comprehension.

Still sucks but at least there is enough time to get things done for the wedding which should be the major concern.

I am surprised they did not give you the option of having it on another ship sailing that same date. We had our cruise cancelled 6 months out for a drydock and Carnival transferred deposits and everything for us and got us booked on the Glory. I would keep trying, until I got a reasonable response. My son is getting married on the Dream in 92 days, so I know all about guests coming in....we have them coming from as far away as China! Best of luck and I truly hope there is a happy resolution to this all. Think positive thoughts and keep us updated.

I didn't know about this site until a few weeks ago when researching possible honeymoons.

Did you ever stop to think that this might be an omen? On the drive to the church on my wedding day I nearly ran over a horse in the middle of town. I should have known to turn around and hightail it out of there. Now after 39 years of wedded bliss I am sure of it.:(

P.S. If I want her to know this I will tell her myself.;)

The ship was the Imagination out of Miami on November 12th.

Thank you all for your responses, especially the info regarding the senior cruise director!!

ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME????? I just booked this same cruise Tuesday NIGHT!!!!! Are you telling me that they didn't know at that time? When do they plan on calling me????? I booked early saver with nonrefundable deposit, which I'm sure will be refundable now. UGH!!!!!:mad:

BTW, I'm sorry that your wedding has been ruined! I know whatever you decide to do will work out wonderfully.

To wassiii:

I had always posted my experiences on Carnival's own site. Also, I didn't know about this site until a few weeks ago when researching possible honeymoons.

.....there has been a rash of 1 post Carnival Haters recently and I was just hoping you were not one of them.

wasiii

How often does Carnival cancel cruises???

Not very often but it happens. It's also not just Carnival - any cruise line out there will cancel a sailing in a heartbeat if they get a full ship charter. They have guaranteed revenue that way and don't have to worry about selling the cabins or discounting them if they don't sell.

To the OP - it really sucks and I think Carnival should definitely offer to get you rebooked on another ship and pay any airline change fees. Keep calling until you get to the right person and remember that being very nice about it will get you much further than if you vent your anger on them. ;)

Also keep in mind with the suggestion that you post on John's blog for help, he will get to your comment but he's running about a month behind answering them for right now. You might want to work on getting things resolved sooner than that. Keep calling Carnival and going politely up the line until you get help.

Archived