Carry-on luggage allowed on RCI?

KNcruisers

Hi,

I am new to cruising, and we are going on RCI Enchantment of the Seas in May. It is for 9 nights, so that means lots of things to pack (I'll try to pack light!) Anyway, we are driving to the port, so we don't have to worry about airline restrictions for carry-on luggage, but how much is allowed as "carry-on" at the ship? DH and I were planning on taking as carry-on:

Our camera bag, maybe my purse (if I need it) a garment bag (DH has a nice suite we'd hate to get lost or damaged), and 1 small duffle bag (w/ our toiletries, a bathing suit each, and an outfit each to get us through dinner in case we don't get our bags delivered in time). Is this reasonable? Do they have that "liquids" restriction like TSA does for flying, as far as toiletries go? Not sure how this process works...

Thanks in advance to anyone who can answer my question!:)

As long as the size of your luggage can make it through the scanners you can carry it on the ship. Think of this though; once you are on the ship you will want to get a bite to eat. Then you will probably want go exploring the ship and take photos of different places on the ship before it gets too crowded. And where you go so does your luggage because chances are your cabin won't be ready.

Do you really want to cart all this luggage around with you? The elevators will be crowded and walking up and down those stair cases won't be easy when you are carrying all that weight.

So think twice about how much you want to bring on-board with you.

Thanks for that info, I guess I automatically assumed the cabin would be ready and we could drop our stuff and take a walk... so maybe instead of a duffle bag and my purse, we do one of our small bags with wheels- easier to carry. THe camera bag is a backpack thingy, so that's easy. We definitely need the garment bag. DH has big muscles so he can just carry it all for me :D lol

Thanks again!

Give most of your stuff to the porters and only "carry on" what you absolutely will need for a few hours.

Dinner the 1st night is VERY casual, since many folks won't have their luggage...even shorts (yes--it's true!) are ok on the 1st night!

There are no TSA liquid restrictions on a ship!

KN, it partly depends on what time you're planning to arrive at the ship. The cabins are generally available starting at about 1 pm, so if you're arriving around or after that, you can have access to your cabin and can carry on any permitted items as long as your baggage fits through the x-ray machine (like at the airport).

Thanks for all the info. We will be at the port around 1, so maybe we will get lucky and have a ready cabin. I am paranoid about luggage not making it to our rooms, and I feel like I need to bring everything with me! Just a nervous newbie, thats all :D

roofingprincess- I now live in VA but am originally from Glastonbury, CT :) not too far from you. CT is so tiny, I rarely find people from my home-state!

Thanks for all the info. We will be at the port around 1, so maybe we will get lucky and have a ready cabin. I am paranoid about luggage not making it to our rooms, and I feel like I need to bring everything with me! Just a nervous newbie, thats all :D

roofingprincess- I now live in VA but am originally from Glastonbury, CT :) not too far from you. CT is so tiny, I rarely find people from my home-state!

I worry a lot more about my luggage not making it through an air flight than I've ever worried about it not making it to my cabin....

KN CRUISERS:

Once you get there and see how everything works out as far as checking in your luggage at the curb with the baggage handler... then you will be more relaxed about it. They have these big crates that they put all the bags in... If you want you can look at the pictures on my review from my trip last year as there are a few when we checked in at the curb..

So fun!!

KN CRUISERS:

Once you get there and see how everything works out as far as checking in your luggage at the curb with the baggage handler... then you will be more relaxed about it. They have these big crates that they put all the bags in... If you want you can look at the pictures on my review from my trip last year as there are a few when we checked in at the curb..

So fun!!

Thanks for the info! And what a great review you wrote- loved the pictures, looks like it was really fun! I think we have our luggage situation figured out so we should be all set now!

The most important thing you can do for ALL your luggage is to make sure you slap a ship's luggage tag on it. I know that's an obvious comment, but it covers unanticipated events, particularly when flying, which I realize you are not doing for this cruise.

a quick note:

Generally, cabins aren't ready until approximately 1:00pm, so if you board prior to that time, whatever you bring on, you will have to carry with you.

If by chance you don't board until 1 or after, then it wouldn't be a problem what you bring with you..

I personally only carry two bags, one is my cpap, the other contains my laptop and purse.

If you want to make it a bit easier on yourself, my suggestion would be to use the type of carryon bags that have wheels, that way, if you need to carry them with you, its easier on you.

Have fun on your cruise!!!

Archived