A few last minute questions... sailing out on Sunday!

mom22tinks

I've been reading the boards for months now in anticipation of our upcoming cruise on the Splendor. As I am planning and packing now I have a few questions that I just don't have time to hunt down the answer for at the moment. I am hoping some nice Cruise Critic poster might help me and save me some time :)

1. Are the pools open when you get on the ship so that my kids can start swimming right away if they want?

2. If the pool is open, do they have towels available on the deck or is the only pool type towel in your room?

3. Is it really worth it to show up by 10:00 or 10:30 to embark, since you just have to wait around anyway?

Thanks~

Jessica

Along with all the yes's... thought I might add that I think it's well "worth it" to get on board early... it's like a whole extra day on board. You can eat, drink, play, swim, and go explore the ship. Have fun!!!

Along with all the yes's... thought I might add that I think it's well "worth it" to get on board early... it's like a whole extra day on board. You can eat, drink, play, swim, and go explore the ship. Have fun!!!

This will be our first cruise but we plan to be at the port shortly after breakfast so we can get on the ship and start enjoying our vacation... beats the snot out of wandering around aimlessly, spending money on lunch and everything else etc.

As the previous posters said, my vote is always to be early at the pier too. So if you end up having to wait to get on, at least you are sitting looking at the beautiful cruise ship -- just builds the anticipation even more.

We've been on the ship as early as 11:00 and had a full day . . . . remember you can't get into your room until 1 or 2 but at least you are on this ship!

Enjoy!

Don't forget sunscreen, hats, etc. I always just carry on a bag with our pool things and our cameras. Have a great trip and definitely enjoy that first day aboard and all the excitement that comes with it.

BTW - that first day might be the only day you can get into a Hot Tub without kids all over. So Mom and Dad should take advantage too! The slide, however, will not be open.

Some ports won't allow you to park or come in until after a certain time. They want to make sure the debark guests are out of the way first so don't show to early or they'll turn you away. Find out what time they start allowing new cruisers in and hit it around there. I'd much rather wait at the terminal than the hotel.

I like to get on, wander around to see where everything is, go get something for lunch and camp out on the deck watching the long lines of people waiting to get on and smiling because I'm not them :p

We generally try and avoid "get-on-the-ship-as-soon-as-possible" crowds.

Even with Platinum it just isn't worth the crowds to get on the ship. There's generally too many newbies wandering around with their DOD's, taking pictures, getting lost, etc. The Grills are always a bit nuts too (line? what line?). We generally board around 1:30 p.m, go right to the room and have a vodka gimlet (or two) on the balcony using the prepositioned Bon Voyage bottle of vodka waiting for us.

Best of luck to all with their Bon Voyage plans and see you on Lido!

There is no guarantee the pools will be open, with good weather conditions in consecutive weeks there have been reports on here of the pools open for embarkation one week and they are drained and netted over the next. I haven't seen any clear consensus on Carnival's criteria for if their pools will be filled or not. That said, it seems that they are open more often than not, which would be in line with Carnival telling you to pack a bathing suit in your carry on so you can enjoy the pool on the first day before you can go to the room and get your bathing suit there... They were closed a few years ago for my Sensation cruise but the weather was perfect. I assume they will be open for my upcoming Valor cruise though but I'll just have to wait and see. If I were you, I would assume they will be open too and be sure to pack a suit (you can change in the poolside bathrooms or the spa) but be prepared to just explore the ship just in case.

If the pool is open, the poolside towel stand will be open too.

Agree with everyone else, get on early and start the vacation ASAP! :)

I've been reading the boards for months now in anticipation of our upcoming cruise on the Splendor. As I am planning and packing now I have a few questions that I just don't have time to hunt down the answer for at the moment. I am hoping some nice Cruise Critic poster might help me and save me some time :)

1. Are the pools open when you get on the ship so that my kids can start swimming right away if they want?

2. If the pool is open, do they have towels available on the deck or is the only pool type towel in your room?

3. Is it really worth it to show up by 10:00 or 10:30 to embark, since you just have to wait around anyway?

Thanks~

Jessica

yes, yes, and absolutely yes. You may be on board by noon if you get there and are among the first to embark.

Archived