To take the insurance or not?

jessegirl88

Two week before we were to leave on a Christmas Cruise my dad got sick and passed away quickly. I thought I was going to lose the cruise cost but found out the travel insurance refunded my cruise cost 100%. So now I'm waiting for my makeup cruise in 50 days. With everything happening so fast it was nice to know that part of my life was taken care of.

framer

Exactly, Toto. This is one cruise I only have to drive to (HOORAY), so luckily there shouldn't be any transportation mishaps. For that reason, I was thinking about NOT getting the insurance, but after reading this thread I was reminded of the many reasons it's good to have it. Better safe than sorry, right? :D

CORRECT! And might I say I am so jealous that you have no flights involved. Until they bring the ocean to the midwest, that is never going to happen to me. :( But it is nice to know that some don't have to fight the airports, the lines, the security, the cramped flights, the delayed flights, the lack of food, (you get my drift?). lol

I did not get insurance this time for our trip in June. I always have in the past. I am not flying to the port I am driving. I know we are taking a chance . We have also paid for our trip so I am not sure if we can still get the insurance. I did call my medical insurance company and they said that medical expenses are covered but I would have to pay and get reimbursed. I know it is a crap shoot but I am going to take the risk this time.

Call your insurance carrier(s) and ask what coverage you already havel. I keep reading "most insurance doesn't cover you out of the country" and cringe with such a blanket statement. I have been coveredmedically by 4 different companies over the past 10 years and ALL of them covered me out of the country. In fact All of them had sufficient medical evacuation coverage. All insurance companies have different policies so those that say BCBS doesn't cover you out of the country are flat out wrong as the policy I had through them did cover me out of the country. Different policies, same company, different coverage.

I'm not saying you should not get insurance -- just make sure you aren't paying to duplicate coverage you already have. Be aware of all the coverages you are already paying for (not just medical) and only purchase what you need. Be a savy consumer.

Call your insurance carrier(s) and ask what coverage you already havel. I keep reading "most insurance doesn't cover you out of the country" and cringe with such a blanket statement. I have been coveredmedically by 4 different companies over the past 10 years and ALL of them covered me out of the country. In fact All of them had sufficient medical evacuation coverage. All insurance companies have different policies so those that say BCBS doesn't cover you out of the country are flat out wrong as the policy I had through them did cover me out of the country. Different policies, same company, different coverage.

I'm not saying you should not get insurance -- just make sure you aren't paying to duplicate coverage you already have. Be aware of all the coverages you are already paying for (not just medical) and only purchase what you need. Be a savy consumer.

I agree.

I do have BCBS but it only pays at 50% out of the country and it doesn't pay for air evac. So check the coverage percentage also.

Those who have Medicare - that is not covered outside of the US.

Get insurance...you never know what will happen. A few weeks ago on the Island Panama cruise I tripped on the side walk in Jamaica(heading into Margaritaville, not out:D) $200.00 later for xrays and getting rings cut off by ship doctor. Insurance paid. Moral of story......$200.00 better in my pocket than Princess pocket!

I just got an email telling me that a friend of mine was vacationing in Cancun when he had a heart attack on the beach and died. I don't know if he had travel insurance, but I've read several threads about how expensive it is to pay for emergency care in a foreign country, then ship a body back home. This man was only 59 yrs old and seemed to be quite healthy. You never know what may happen and since travel insurance is not costly, I always get it.

I've been on 11 cruises and must admit that I didn't buy insurance for several of the cruises. I started buying insurance about 4 cruises ago and would never go without it again. Three years ago our ship was leaving Vancouver when I received word that my sister, who had had cancer for a few years but was doing well when I left a few days earlier, was dying. My husband and I needed to leave the ship ASAP. I didn't know where to turn. Thanks to a wonderful Concierge everything was arranged for us to leave the ship at the next port. A car and driver were waiting to take us to the nearest city with an airport. There were no more planes going out that night so hotel arrangements were made for us and we were able to fly out the next morning. All of this would have cost a fortune had it not been for insurance, which we had purchased directly from the cruise line. It covered everything, even returning money for the five days of the cruise that we missed. As I said, I will never travel without it again.

I don't have insurance for my upcoming Caribbean cruise, but I'm going by myself and just taking my chances I guess :rolleyes:

For my 2011 cruise with my Mom I wouldn't go without insurance. I looked at a couple of the travel insurance web sites and for this trip, which will end up in the $10,000+ range, insurance is going to end up costing me about $1,000 (which covers pre-existing conditions and just about anything else that might happen). I won't get the insurance until I buy my plane tickets, but I will definitely be getting it at some point. I discovered during my research that there are plans that cover pre-existing conditions as long as they're paid for at the time of final payment (they just cost more than if I were to get it now, but I'm just not at that point yet). My Dad, who is not traveling with us, is my "pre-existing condition". He's been sick for a while and always seems to have one health crisis after another. I'm keeping my fingers crossed than nothing happens to spoil this trip. It's a (early) 70th birthday present for my Mom.

I just consider insurance as part of the cruise cost. I used Princess insurance several times but have switched to Access America for my last few cruises. Quite a bit less money for me and it covers air which Princess does not unless you're booked with Princess Air. Princess charges 8% where Access America's cost is age related. So, if you are in your 50's or even 60's or younger, Access America would save you quite a bit. I'm sure there are many others out there that would save you money; just shop around.

I can also go on about injuries and people I know that took great losses due to lack of insurance. But, I suggest to try Travel Guard insurance. They are an independent agency that we have used for years. The have a family policy that only the 2 adults pay and children are free. You can look them up on travelguard.com. This will no doubt be a lot less than 500. Divide the total trip cost between all family members. Your ta can also help you with this. Buy insurance now.:)

I agree on Travel Guard. That is what I use, and if purchased in the 1st 14 days of deposit, will also cover preexisting conditions.

It would be under $300 for a family of four. Also the travelguard policy I use does not charge more if you are older.

Diane

Archived