Fiction

"Cruise Confidential: A Hit Below the Waterline: Where the Crew Lives, Eats, Wars, and Parties. One Crazy Year Working on Cruise Ships" by Brian David Bruns.

It gives a pretty good humerous look at working on cruise ships. I really enjoyed it.

I am a member of BookCrossing, so every time I go on a cruise, I bring a bunch of the books you are looking for and leave them in the library. I call it a "themed release", and I love doing that. I order a bunch of the books as soon as I book a cruise and then read them before I go. I think I have about 15 books this time. One is a whole series by Conrad Allen....Murder on the Salsette, Murder on the ....just fill in a ship. lol. If you want to find something before you go, go to Amazon books, then do a seach for "cruise" in the murder/mystery genre.....many will come up. Good luck. I'm glad I'm not the only one who likes to do themed reads...lol.

I am a bookcrosser too! For anyone who is leaving books in the library, check out the bookcrossing website (the link is in my signature). You can label your books, and then future readers can make a notation of where they found and left the book, so you can track its journey.

For example, a book I left on the CB in Aug 2008 on a Canada/NE cruise was picked up by someone who left it on an RCI ship in Southeast Asia, where it was picked up by a British passenger who took it home and then left in on a Mediterranean cruise.

Bookcrossing is my second favorite hobby after cruising.

For romance/chick lit readers, I'd like to recommend A Necessary Woman by Helen Van Slyke. it's a bit dated now, but it's about the adventures of a travel journalist on an around the world cruise.

try the Janet Evanovich Stephanie Plum "Numbers" series. They are laugh out loud funny with a little mystery and sex thrown in.

I went out and bought the first three books in this series based on the recommendations here. You are right, they are so funny! I am half way through the first one and I was laughing so hard at one point, I was crying!! LOL. Thanks so much for the tip!:D

Just finished Six Suspects by Vikas Swarup, author of Slumdog Millionaire and enjoyed it enormously and am about to read The Girl Who Played With Fire, the second in Stieg Larsson's trilogy. If it is half as good as The Girl With The Dragon Tatoo, it should be a great read. A great writer who died much too soon.

If you have an e-reader (Kindle etc.) you might enjoy Steven King's Under the Dome but it is pretty heavy and bulky to lug the print version around. His son's latest book Horns is also a good read and the kid clearly inherited his father's story telling ability and ability to write a good horror book. I enjoyed it more than his previous book, Heart-Shaped Box.

We're sailing in a couple of weeks and I'm looking for a good book or two to take along. I like to read fiction, mystery, cruise-related. Any suggestions? Murder at Sea!:D

Actually there is a series of books by Conrad Allen that is known as the shipboard murder series....

They take place on ocean liners of yesteryear like Mauritania and Lucitania etc there's 8 books in all and while not overly complicated they do make for fun reading.

I also like James Patterson. On a cruise they are great because they are an easy read. I always bring several paper backs and often leave them in the library or in the cabin.

I have already started buying books for our next cruise. My daughter is always dragging me into Barnes & Noble and I can't walk out of there without at least one book. I just discovered there hard back rack of $6.99 books and that has been a big temptation.

The Poseidon Adventure by Paul Gallico

Plague Ship by Clive Cussler

I am addicted to all of Clive Cussler books and own every one :)

'Plague Ship' was one of my favourites as are all of them in his 'Oregon Files' books.

I am currently reading his latest...'The Silent Sea'...which I was going to save for our cruise (on the 12th)...but I couldn't resist it. It is also from the 'Oregon Files' :)

Ghosts, by Noel Hynde. I started it on my cruise last week. It is about (fictional) ghosts on Nantucket Island. Haunting started almost immediately. I haven't gotten that far into it yet but have heard from people it gets pretty darn scary. So far so good!

When I read this series I would laugh so loud my kids would come in and say "what did the grandma do now??"

I second the vote on this series. Just becareful they are hard to put down!

I so agree with this nomination! I found her through CC when I was trying to find a book to read on a cruise. So funny!

Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter by Seth Grahame-Smith was an entertaining read...just enough historical fact intertwined to make the fictional elements almost seem plausible, if not comical. I was laying pool/beach-side and at times found myself laughing aloud. Other titles include: Pride and Predjudice and Zombies and Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters...fun stuff. :)

Anything by James Paterson - a good quick read. I like Linda Fairstein as well. Oh and Kathy Reichs if you like forensic science.

Anything by Henning Mankell - fabulous murder mysteries set in Sweden.

Just discovered James Twining - again murder mysteries - the main character is an ex-thief now employed by American agencies. He works with an FBI agent. Most of these are set in Europe, predominantly Italy.

If you can get books by Peter James, then do. His "Inspector Grace" series are good - and they're all set on the Sussex Coast where I live!!

I also like David Baldacci - one of his original books about a lottery scam is good but I forget its title.

I also love any book based around American politics for some reason.

Archived