Aft cabin concerns. Is E729 really all that great?

Cruzin-K

This is a mini suite on the Crown. I don`t think it is a handicap cabin. Does anyone know for sure ?

It should have a bathtub. I think someone is confusing the cabin you have with the cabin on the Dolphin deck, D 733 (we knew a couple on the Star that had D 733 and that cabin had the handicap arrangement, no tub only a large shower).

BTW, on that cruise we had cabin E 728 and enjoyed it very much.

Edited by ar1950

She posted this over 4 years ago, so she has sailed by now...;)

That said, I usually try to get this cabin only because I am an extended balcony snob. :p

I like that I can watch the wake from the balcony as well as the side, however, wind has proven to be a problem at times.

Also, I usually travel with several friends, so having the larger balcony is a plus for entertaining.

Ha ha! I hadn't realized this thread was back :eek:

The end result was that Princess lowered prices SIGNIFICANTLY for a mini suite guarantee so to save $1800, I gave up E729. We ended up in a basic Dolphin deck mini (D729) three cabins from the back of the ship. The cabin was fine, no excessive motion or noise.

WE'LL BE on the Star in E729 the end of October. Not sure why there were a few comments as to it being windy. All of our cruises that were fully aft, there was minimal wind and any balcony cabin we've had there was just the usual-to-minimal winds. Why would this corner aft be more windy than all the other balcony cabins?

We finally left the Dolphin deck in 2012 to Hawaii on the Golden. We were never thrilled with the balcony's but love the mini's. Well we have discovered the wonderful Emerald deck E723 was great on this trip and we booked the same cabin on the CB in May.

Only 9 months to go :).

WE'LL BE on the Star in E729 the end of October. Not sure why there were a few comments as to it being windy. All of our cruises that were fully aft, there was minimal wind and any balcony cabin we've had there was just the usual-to-minimal winds. Why would this corner aft be more windy than all the other balcony cabins?

It will depend on itinerary, time of year, and of course, which way the the wind is blowing.

I have had this balcony going to the Mexican Riviera with no problems.

Going to and from Hawaii, there was a lot of wind for several days.

I stood on my balcony the first night...........held back my hair with one hand and the railing with the other hand, and swore that I scored that balcony, I was going to enjoy it! By gosh!!.........:D

The wind just seems to whip around that balcony.

YMMV..........

I think it's because most balconies have two walls that break the wind. The aft facing balconies are really protected from the wind. That back corner balcony is open and the wind hits it as it's going around the corner of the ship. As the previous poster said...it may depend on the itinerary. I was on that balcony for a Hawaii cruise. I was visiting a friend's cabin so I wasn't out there every day, but it was very windy when I did go out. Just my experience. It's a nice big and private balcony, though. I'd book it myself.

I think it's because most balconies have two walls that break the wind. The aft facing balconies are really protected from the wind. That back corner balcony is open and the wind hits it as it's going around the corner of the ship............. .

We had E728 (same location on the opposite side of the ship) on our Hawaii cruise last year and that is exactly right about the wind because the balcony has no wall in the back. It wouldn't have been bad at all had the weather been as warm on the way over and back as it was around the islands. We would book that cabin again on a warm weather cruise if the opportunity presented itself.

Edited by ar1950

I'm currently booked in cabin E729 on the Star Princess for my Greek Isles cruise. I'm seriously considering moving up to a category AB cabin to get closer to mid-ship.

My very first cruise, on the Carnival Jubilee, found me in the furthest aft inside cabin on deck two. The noise and vibration when we docked was awful. I literally couldn't hear my cabin mate talking when she was only four feet away. This of course was happening at 5 a.m. when I should have been sound asleep.

The memory of this cruise has kept me away from aft cabins. However, cabin E729 is spoken of so highly that I jumped at the chance to snag it. Now I'm just not so sure. I'll be traveling with my Mom who thinks she may get seasick, and I do know that motion can be felt more if you are really far forward or aft.

Is there a vibration issue in aft cabins? Engine noise?

I know the balconies on the Dolphin deck aren't covered, but I don't think that will be an issue on this cruise. We'll be in port all the time. There's only one day at sea.

Convince me to keep my cabin, or give me a darn good reason to give it up. :confused:

I sailed on the Jubilee on my first cruise ever. How funny....

OK -- so, no...don't give up that cabin. I sailed in E729 on the Star as well -- it was a girls trip. I nabbed it and best room ever. My friends, many of which were new to cruising couldn't believe how nice that room was. It was absolute smooth sailing and we were travelling north in the Pacific. That is also the side of the ship where you will hear no noise from the lounge below. Best room we've ever had on a Princess ship.

With that being said, we didn't have any ports of call so no thrusters....but still wouldn't give up that lovely balcony for 5-10 minutes of noise a day. Plus, you are down at the end of the hall so virtually no foot traffic past your room. Also, your balcony is covered so you can go out there in rain or shine and be comfortable. This is probably the most coveted room on the ship and you got it. I am sure you will not regret holding onto it. But, if you do release it....let me know, me and only me...hahaha :D