Best/Worst Times for Alaska

jeanaa

Hi - was wondering what the veteran cruisers think of going to Alaska in May. I will be getting a balcony and I am the kind of person who loves to be on deck most of the time, not at the shows. Is it too cold for this in May?

Thanks.

I have been in July and September and I will be going at the end of May for the first time. I have read where people think that May is the best time but as you know that could change from year to hear depending on weather conditions. I always go prepared with clothes, layer, layer, layer.

Marilyn

Hi - was wondering what the veteran cruisers think of going to Alaska in May. I will be getting a balcony and I am the kind of person who loves to be on deck most of the time, not at the shows. Is it too cold for this in May?

Thanks.

I won't bother rehashing the info regarding the pluses and minuses of May travel to Alaska. I'll just state that the weather is always a gamble in Alaska, but we had a terrific time with beautiful sunshine and shorts weather in Skagway. For us, anytime is a great time for Alaska!

Clothes to take? Think layers! We were buying fleece in August!

Have a great cruise!

Jeanaa

We went the last week of May/early June for land week and then cruise back to Vanc. We have also done the same type of trip the last week of August/early Sept. The weather in the Aug/Sep trip was warmer, colder and wetter than we had in our late May trip. But at least we had sun a few days, whereas in May it was mostly just grey skies with only one day of rain. I would do either one again. As mentioned, if you plan to go to denali np, it doesn't get going until late May, about May 21 st for shuttle and not further into the park until June 1st. We saw about the same amount of wildlife on both trips, except we saw more eagles in May, more wolves in later trip.

I have been on one Alaska Cruise in Late May. We had almost no rain, barely a sprinkle in Sitka, chilly in Glacier Bay...duh! The rest was sunshine and warm, actually about 75 or so in Juneau. I also lived there in Juneau for three summers back in the mid 70's and from my memory that was the best time of the year for sunshine.

We are planning another trip this year, late May, and while booking some private adventures the tour operator mentioned that she recommends to everyone who asks to arrange the trips to the Inside Passage in the Late May time frame, she says it's the best. So there you go, hope that helps.

As all of the above state- no guarantees- so you are best to be well prepared in your attire for all of it. NOTHING is worse or can ruin your trip more if you are not comfortable and cold. I see large amounts of unprepared Alaska visitors- don't be one of them, :) Take a wide range of attire, you will probably need all of it for some portion of your trip.

• 1 month later...

I have been to Alaska several times. The best time to go is in May and June. Early May might still be cold and some snow. But the latter part is great, much nicer than July and August. Always be prepared for rain when you go to Alaska.

If you go in Early May or late September, be prepared for snow.

Archived