Notarized letter for 18 yr old?

coastie mom

Just a thought. While 18 is the age of majority in the US, is that true in all countries that one might visit on a cruise? I'm thinking specifically of making medical decisions.

Would an 18 year old be allowed to make his/her own medical decisions in all foreign countries. What if the friend is unconscious or in a coma and can't make such decisions? Who would be authorized to make them?

I'm just thinking that a letter might not be a bad idea, even though, in the US, the friend is legally an adult.

We don't like to think of what might go seriously wrong on a cruise. That's why there are so many discussions about the wisdom of trip insurance or passports and taking them ashore.

In almost all the foreign countries a cruise would go to yes. Most places have 18 yrs as an adult that can drink, sign, drive, and all that good stuff.

For the case of an unconscious person, I would imagine the hospital would stabilize the 18 year old (without need for permission) and then the friends would get in contact with the family to arrange transportation and or medical steps to be taken. Technically at 18 nobody BUT the person can authorize medical treatment, but in the case of an unconscious person the "next of kin" can make some decisions, like not emergency surgery, pulling the plug, etc. BUT the hospital would probably be allowed to take any steps needed to stabilize the patient, including emergency surgery and such.

My daughter is bringing along her friend who will be 18 at the time we cruise. She has a passport, but does she also have to have a notarized letter from her parents to travel?

We will be going to Mexico.

Thanks

Good discussion.....I had been wondering about this. We are taking our friend's 16y.o daughter with us in July? Is a letter a "just in case" thing or does CCL require it?

Thank you in advance.

Good discussion.....I had been wondering about this. We are taking our friend's 16y.o daughter with us in July? Is a letter a "just in case" thing or does CCL require it?

Thank you in advance.

Actually it is a requirement of the US Government. You must have a notarized permission note signed by both parents to take a child that is not yours out of the country. In fact now divorced/seperated/single parents have to have a notarized note from the other parent stating it is ok to take the child out of the country. If the other parent has passed away you have to bring the death certificate.

My daughter is bringing along her friend who will be 18 at the time we cruise. She has a passport, but does she also have to have a notarized letter from her parents to travel?

Thanks

We're bringing an 18 year old friend with us too. I will tell you, when I booked our cabins, carnival was very clear on this ... he did tell me that I did need a letter because according to their policy, an adult is 21. Since carnival doesn't allow minors to travel alone, someone has to be legally responsible for her. I'd strongly suggest getting the letter because the last thing you want is for her to be turned away at the pier. Edited to add: here's forms http://seauonboard.com/Parental%20Authorization.htm

Thanks

As much as we like to think of 18 year olds as children, in the eyes of the law they are adults. their parents can neither give them permission to travel nor deny them permission.

A letter is worthless.

It's a weird thing. Carnival considers her a "minor" and she can't book her own room, but legally she's an adult and won't need any extra documentation for the ports.

Not so weird, very few if any hotels will allow 18-21 years old people book a room. Some actually require the person booking a room to be 25. Try renting a car at 18-25.

As much as we like to think of 18 year olds as children, in the eyes of the law they are adults. their parents can neither give them permission to travel nor deny them permission.

A letter is worthless.

When my daughter was 17, she traveled to London with some friends. I followed the very next day. I called the airline to ask what kind of permission letter I should send with the one of the other Moms going, and they said 17 y/o can travel to Europe solo without any permission needed. I have to say I was really surprised. Even though they were only going to be there for 24 hours without me, I still sent a medical release and insurance info. with that other Mom.

Interesting... my ex-husband took our twin 18 years olds and 16 year old on a cruise during spring break. None of them have passports and I was never asked to sign a letter. We have a cruise planned this summer with my daughters and my husband's 5 year old daughter. It seems that I'm getting conflicting information here. I'm sure it would be great to get a letter, but is it required?

Kim

Interesting... my ex-husband took our twin 18 years olds and 16 year old on a cruise during spring break. None of them have passports and I was never asked to sign a letter. We have a cruise planned this summer with my daughters and my husband's 5 year old daughter. It seems that I'm getting conflicting information here. I'm sure it would be great to get a letter, but is it required?

Kim

A letter is not required for an adult 18 or older.

A letter is not required for an adult 18 or older.

I understand that part, but I didn't sign a letter for our 16 year old for her spring break cruise with her dad. Will one be required for our children that are under 18?

I understand that part, but I didn't sign a letter for our 16 year old for her spring break cruise with her dad. Will one be required for our children that are under 18?

It's required although not always asked to be shown.

Just a thought. While 18 is the age of majority in the US, is that true in all countries that one might visit on a cruise? I'm thinking specifically of making medical decisions.

Here is a good list of international policies regarding age of majority. It's interesting that in the US, 18 is not the age of majority in every state. It's 19 in Alabama and Nebraska, and 21 in the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico and Mississippi!

Just thought you might find it interesting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Age_of_majority

I spoke to my Carnival representative yesterday about this issue. He stated that, no matter the age, as long as they have the original birth certificate with the parent's name on it (for example, my daughters will have my name on it and I will also be there with my own forms of ID to prove I'm their parent), then they should be fine. He said that if you're having custody issues then, of course, it's best to have a letter so that nothing will arise where your ex-spouse tries to say that you're taking them away. Otherwise, a letter is not required.

Of course, this is completely different if you're bringing your child's friend along. I was more concerned about my children from a previous marriage.

Also, he said that if your child is over the age of 15, and they don't have a passport, they should have their original birth certificate and another valid form of ID (Driver's License). Under 15, they just need to bring their original birth certificate.

Kim

Archived