FCO - Civitavecchia

Champagne Buddy

Hi

I have spent quite some time researching the best way to get from Rome airport (FCO) to Civitavecchia. Have read loads regarding the train,(cheap but cumbersome with luggage) and taxi/private transfer (expensive) but can anyone advise if there is a bus or coach?

All advice appreciated.

Jo

I was just checking the boards again to see the best way to do this. We are traveling for 6 weeks and while we are watching what we bring it is still too much to travel with. We are staying at Hotel Bramante in Citivecchia and the price of their transport is $147. That is more money than we paid roundtrip from Malaga to Rome and Rome to Madrid pp.

I might look at renting a car as we have driven before in Italy.

Karen

One day car rentals can be found, but they are expensive. On the plus side, you'll have flexibility for the day, where the hotel transfer just gets you there.

If you won't have much luggage, try the train. It's easy to do, but can be cumbersome for those with a lot of luggage and/or mobility issues.

The going rate for a private transfer whether by the hotel or private company is between 120 and 130 Euros. If you don't want to drag your bags around and take the train, the best thing is to find someone to share the ride. Or pay the fee like the rest of us. The ships charge about $92 pp for transfers one way.

I was just checking the boards again to see the best way to do this. We are traveling for 6 weeks and while we are watching what we bring it is still too much to travel with. We are staying at Hotel Bramante in Citivecchia and the price of their transport is $147. That is more money than we paid roundtrip from Malaga to Rome and Rome to Madrid pp.

I might look at renting a car as we have driven before in Italy.

Karen

Karen, I just got back from 2 months in Italy, France and England. I have to tell you that I brought WAYYYY too many clothes; I brought at least 1/2 home unworn. I have heard people say before that they can do a long vacation with just a carry-on size bag, and I never thought it was possible, but now I KNOW it is! The biggest downer of the whole trip was having to deal with the $%^&*O luggage! We had one large wheeled bag each, and thank goodness we brought backpacks. We ended up leaving the luggage behind whenever and wherever possible, and just used the backpacks. Rome for 6 days? Backpack. Paris for 6 days? Backpack. I even brought a netbook in my backpack! Next time I am going to buy the best small suitcase I can find and make everything fit.

Now, we weren't cruising and didn't need dressy clothes, so I know that adds another dimension. But if you can limit your luggage on such a long trip I think you will be so glad you did in the long run.

Just my tip for the day!

Cathy

Archived