Small family issue nothing serious need help

siestakeys04

Db was suppose to go with my family, (dh, and 2kids) our mom, on a cruise this april. Db is waiting on some money and may not be able to go. DH said he would pay for db he would just pay us back. The issue is that we would then need to do a 4 day on imagination, instead of 5 day on the inspiration. I want him to go, but was really looking forward to a 5 day, because this would be the kids first time. What would you do?

I guess it would depend on a few factors...

How much would it cost (if anything) to change the bookings from one cruise to the other? Is your brother already booked on the 5 day cruise? If so, can he take an extra vacation day so that you don't have to change the bookings for the you and the 4 people who are also going?

On a separate note, my advice from a lesson learned the hard way is that if you are going to help your brother with the money, give it as a gift and be done with it. It seems that a lot of family "loans" don't turn out well. :(

Some info we need if you want advice is:

Is DB already booked?

Have you called the cruise line and asked if you can even change cruises. How much will the change cost? While you are on the phone, ask how much it would cost to change one person on your current reservation.

Does DB really want to go and spend his last dollar on this cruise? Maybe he really wanted to go when you asked him but things have changed. Too bad you didn't address this before final payment.

I agree with GRNEYEDGIRL. If he is not booked yet, don't force him to spend money he does not have on a cruise. We are in a new economy and he needs to save his money for an emergency fund. Asking him to pay you back for a vacation with his last dollar after it is over is just not a good scenario. Certainly, don't ask him to risk his job by taking off a day his employer does not want to give him.

If DB is already booked you may have to pay for him anyway. You might want to start looking for a replacement. Maybe an aunt or one of moms friends would like to go, especially if you split the 3rd person in the cabin discount.

Assuming you had only 2 cabins, I would put the 2 kids with your mom and enjoy a private cabin. Mom will love the special time with the kids and you will have some private romantic time. It will be less crowded.

On another note, a 5 day cruise is so much better than a 4 day cruise. Both of them are too short, but why change all your plans to accomidate your brother who can't afford this anyway.

Being with my brother would be more important to me than an extra cruise day.

But I probably feel that way because my brother died, suddenly and unexpectedly, at age 37, and I regret every trip I took that wasn't to go see him.

Db is not booked aready, and he wanted to go on his own we are taking dm so she can vacation with the kids and it was not much more to take her, she just has to have her own spending money:rolleyes:. With that said dh does not mind paying but we would have to do some switching around. I really wanted the kids to get the best time out of the cruise but changing to a 4 day we miss a day at sea, and they are so excited.(14,10) All ds 10 wants to do is order some duck:eek:. Dd wants to do room service as much as possible.:eek: For me its about them, I hope he can go but if he can't I can't change dates because I have my time approved and already scheduled work from their teachers. I will let you know how it works out.

Db is not booked aready, and he wanted to go on his own we are taking dm so she can vacation with the kids and it was not much more to take her, she just has to have her own spending money:rolleyes:. With that said dh does not mind paying but we would have to do some switching around. I really wanted the kids to get the best time out of the cruise but changing to a 4 day we miss a day at sea, and they are so excited.(14,10) All ds 10 wants to do is order some duck:eek:. Dd wants to do room service as much as possible.:eek: For me its about them, I hope he can go but if he can't I can't change dates because I have my time approved and already scheduled work from their teachers. I will let you know how it works out.

Again, I would definitely look into how much it will cost (if anything) to change the bookings.

Where are you traveling from? I ask because the Inspiration sails from Tampa (I believe) and the Imagination sails from Miami. Perhaps on of the FL people could chime in, but I want to say that Miami is about 3-4 hours from Tampa.

Good news. At least you won't lose money if he does not come.

Now a last question since I am playing devils advocate - are you aware of the small size of the cabins and have you checked that the cabins you have booked can accomidate the switching around of people. A 14 and 10 year old may not be comfortable if the extra bed in your room is a pull out sofa bed. Just another reason not to switch cruises.

Good news. At least you won't lose money if he does not come.

Now a last question since I am playing devils advocate - are you aware of the small size of the cabins and have you checked that the cabins you have booked can accomidate the switching around of people. A 14 and 10 year old may not be comfortable if the extra bed in your room is a pull out sofa bed. Just another reason not to switch cruises.

Well my 14 dd is 5'1" and my 10 ds is 5'1",:eek: from us talking yesterday they did not care where they slept:D. Db did just text me to let me know that his money will be here in about 7-10 days. He may have to book at the last minute but at least he will go.;)

Not to throw water on the fire, but if by chance the cruise is full, they may not allow him to cruise. It is my understanding that only so many people can cruise on the ship, even if there is room in one of your rooms.

Now, I could be wrong, and am sometimes wrong. Is there someone else out there that might know???

It seems the highlighted statements made the decision for you.....it is good your brother was able to get it together in time.

Go for the last minute booking, it may save him money, it doesn't sound like he can afford to throw it away.;)

If the money doesn't come through in time perhaps you can arrange to get together one weekend for him to spend quality time with his niece and nephew, it doesn't have to be on a ship, does it?

p.s. I'm not a fan of lending folks money, it can lead to hurt feelings when finances don't come through as expected and the other person needs their money back.

Not all cabins can accommodate an extra 3rd or 4th person. In fact, most can't. Also, there's what is known as "ship's capacity" - meaning that if the ship has already reached its legal passenger capacity, regardless of extra space in a cabin, no one will be allowed to book last-minute. And, your brother will not be able to book a single cabin unless he pays double the cruise rate (but single taxes and port charges. Also, Carnival requires pre-paid tips (I think it's $10/day).

Archived