Is the water always rush leaving from NJ?

Or is it in the winter time? I keep seeing several posts about the Explorer having 15 foot waves or something and it's really rough. I've been on several cruises but never sailed out of NJ. Just curious waht to expect. I'm not going till May 22nd. Thank you. :)

After you come out of New York harbor you have three rivers that mt into the ocean,so you have some strong currents.The only time you get rough seas is when we are getting as storm.You may feel the currents for about an hour.We have sailed out of Bayonne at least six times,it is our home port.

i just sailed out of bayonne march 19-28th. going down there were calm seas the whole way. coming home from friday night until saturday night (about 24 hours) the ship was rocking with 7-12 foot swells. saturday afternoon they put barf bags on the stairs. the swaying did not bother me and it was amusing to just sit and watch people walking. i guess this is a common occurance around the carolinas. the captain said that once we are in shallower water it should get better - and it did. i'm not sure if there was a storm or not - i was not in touch with reality while i was gone.

After you come out of New York harbor you have three rivers that mt into the ocean,so you have some strong currents.The only time you get rough seas is when we are getting as storm.You may feel the currents for about an hour.We have sailed out of Bayonne at least six times,it is our home port.

I am assuming the 3 rivers you are referring to are the East River, the Hackensack River and most important of all the Hudson River, all of which empty into New York Harbor not beyond the harbor.

Perhaps I am missing something.

Now New York Harbor is mostly influenced by the Hudson River which is flowing south, but also has tidal influences which enter the Harbor thru the Narrows. In any case, your ride in the Harbor is always smooth as it protected by land.

Once you get out in the open ocean, at some point you will start to cross the Gulf Stream. And that is when things can get interesting.

Also, in the winter, especially lately, Explorer has been sailing into "NorEasters", a particular type of winter storm with prevailing winds of 60+ MPH from the Northeast to the Southwest perpendicular to the path of the ship. That's why the ship has been getting rocked.

I am assuming the 3 rivers you are referring to are the East River, the Hackensack River and most important of all the Hudson River, all of which empty into New York Harbor not beyond the harbor.

Perhaps I am missing something.

Now New York Harbor is mostly influenced by the Hudson River which is flowing south, but also has tidal influences which enter the Harbor thru the Narrows. In any case, your ride in the Harbor is always smooth as it protected by land.

Once you get out in the open ocean, at some point you will start to cross the Gulf Stream. And that is when things can get interesting.

Also, in the winter, especially lately, Explorer has been sailing into "NorEasters", a particular type of winter storm with prevailing winds of 60+ MPH from the Northeast to the Southwest perpendicular to the path of the ship. That's why the ship has been getting rocked.

I have been out there frequently since I was a kid, mostly fishing. Winter fishing is very popular, as well as summer. I agree, the rivers have nothing to do with it, except for rip currents mixing with the tides. But that would only concern small craft. It is mostly bad in the winter months, with the Nor'Easters. This year it seemed as though we were getting one every week. Coast Guard banned all local craft a few occasions.

Summer is much calmer. Only concern would be Hurricane remnants coming up the coast. But thats few, and Nor'easters can be worse.

The outer banks we avoid year round. Very Unpredictable.

So Yes, count on it being rough if sailing during the winter in to spring, consider it fortunate if waters calm.

Summer, hurricanes are predictable same as anywhere along the east coast.

We sailed out of NJ on Explorer last April and experienced heavy seas our first day out and last back.

Sailing out we experienced approx 10 foot swells for 24 hours before reaching calmer waters. However on the way back we had 30-35 foot swells which as you can imagine were quite unpleasant!

I've often thought that the northern East Coast Ports could get more than a little rough in the winter time. There have been a lot of storms this winter. Personally I would hesitate to to sail out of Baltimore or New York from November through March. It seems like the first day or two at sea would be more like winter, no sunning/pool time. But it could always be worse: you could be on a crab fishing boat in the Bearing Sea! Deadliest Catch starts in two weeks!

Thank you all. I just realized I meant to write rough seas instead of rush (typo) but I see everyone figured that out, lol . Thanks again. Hopefully it won't be too bad.

I was on the March 7 Cruise on the Explorer from Bayonne. It was wonderful. The seas were as calm as could be for the 3 and a half day direct journey from Bayonne to St. Thomas. It was sunny, warm and calm. While coming back, we had the remnants of the wind storm that had hit the east coast so we pitched and rolled a bit, but nothing scary......(it was actually fun walking wierd in the corridors) believe me, I AM A BIG CHICKEN ABOUT THESE THINGS and if I was OK, you will have no problem. The rocking actually is quite calming at night and I slept well. Also, I was in an inside cabin in the aft, where I didnt feel much or see anything!

Now, if you are seasick and if you think THAT may cause some problem, then take your meds, bands, ear patches with you. I am not sea sick, but I do get scared of the water. The Explorer is a floating resort and it handles these squalls very well as reported by some frequent cruisers on it. So, don't worry, enjoy your cruise and have a good time!

We sailed out of NY on HAL's Noordam a couple years ago in early March because it was close to home and we saved some flight costs. I'll never sail from a Northern port during the cold season again, it kinda sucked. The atlantic tends to be more volitile during that time of year and although we expected it, 4 days of cold on a 10 cruise just wasnt our cup of tea.

Archived