Baggage tags ! What is the problem

DonnasMom&Dad

I just printed my luggage tags today for our May 2nd Eastern Carribbean out of FLL. My question is, will we be able to carry on any bags; or, do I print a luggage tag for everything?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Not needed for what you are carrying on yourself.

So do we. Princess claims that just using the paper triple-folded will be sturdy enough. Somehow I doubt it.

We did this for our cruise 3 weeks ago and had no problems at all. We did nothing else but fold them as instructed and stapled them on. When our luggage arrived in our cabin, the tags were in the same exact condition as when we put them on.

Couldn't be much easier in our opinion!

I remain unconvinced that after paying thousands of dollars for a cruise that anyone should be inflicted with having to print up their own luggage tags, or pay to have them laminated, or to have to purchase plastic holders for them or to carry around packing tape or a stapler. I know that not everyone shares my view on this but come one Princess "get on the stick" this is annoying.

Last September we cruised with Carnival and I was told I'd have to print out the tags, I did feel put out and I was so glad Princess wasn't so cheap. Little did I know...all the cruise lines are doing this now:eek:. But I gotta say, it really wasn't that hard. My only concern was that the ink would run so I did what other posters stated..put clear tape over it..no biggie,really. All cruise lines are cutting back now,We cruising with HAL, I remember getting nice heavy faux leather folders for our travel documents and extra tags. Then we started traveling with Princess and we got clear plastic envelope/pouches for the docs and tags ( I still use these). As far as carrying these items, there is no need, just attach them before you leave, I'm sure Princess will have tags for us to disembark. It seems all the cruise lines are cutting back somewhere, I'm just glad it's not with the food lol. But seriously, if doing this will keep costs down, then I have no problem with it. I just wonder about the people that don't have computers or printers and book through Princess, maybe Princess will send them their boarding pass and tags? If that is the case,maybe we can tell them we don't have a computer too:p

We've just printed, folded, and stapled. No Poblem. Why are you folks making it so complicated and getting all worked up about it?

Just print, fold and staple. Couldn't be easier.

And quit using giant fonts ! :D

I just wonder about the people that don't have computers or printers and book through Princess, maybe Princess will send them their boarding pass and tags? If that is the case,maybe we can tell them we don't have a computer too:p

For people who don't print tags at home for whatever reason, the porters at the pier have blank tags and you just write your name and cabin number on them.

So do we. Princess claims that just using the paper triple-folded will be sturdy enough. Somehow I doubt it.

The tripple folded paper is well strong enough, the staples however are the weak link.

Wide clear tape is the answer, ensure it goes all the way around the tag with a decent overlap (ideally 1.1/2 turns) and the new style tag is strong enough to lift my case fliied to the 23kg limit (thats about 50.6 UK pounds for the non-metric people). Before anyone asks I have tried it as I was a little wary of these new fangled diy tags.

Whats more you can atatch more than one tag to your luggage just in case one gets torn off.

In conclusion I am a convert and think the diy tags are a good idea.

Of course the old tags were perfect, never broke or fell off, were easy to write on etc, etc... (an understanding of sarcasm required here;))

You can NOT be serious. Just when I was resigned to the new DIY tags, your post has succeeded in irritating me anew. In fact, it gave me a major headache.

Sweetie, most inventors develop ideas that make things easier for people, not more complicated. But hey, as long as you're happy doing your little arts and crafts projects, that's cool.

Not sure why you are attacking someone for just stating how they took care of their luggage tags. And I'm not sure how you came up with inventors developing things that make things easier, too. Apparently you haven't seen too many inventions lately - point in question - The invention of the Internet allows Princess (and others) to get you to print your luggage tags. On the other side, it also allows tyou to check on cruises, pricing, and talk with fellow cruises on these boards.

So, chill for a while and don't let the small things bother you so much. It's only a luggage tag - a very small part of the overall cruise experience.

To me it looks like we're stuck with the new tag sytem' date=' for Princess to save a few bucks, so may as well make the best of it. Besides, I had all the equipment and supplies already. Just think if all the worlds inventors had kept their ideas to themselves, where would we be today. It must be boring to sit and do nothing but complain about other peoples ideas. instead of coming up with something different.

Cato[/quote']

I apologize if my words seemed to be complaining about your idea. I think you have a great idea and I was making a joke out of the fact that it was a bit of a process. But if someone is willing to put in the time, I'm sure it holds up very well. You can see that I made a joke at the end to keep it good natured. I, personally don't have a problem with the new luggage tags. I am always using the computer and printing things. NCL gave us the option on our winter cruise on the Gem. We were already sent the tags in the mail, but if not, I would've been fine with printing them.

Enjoy your cruise!

Wow...now that's easy:D BTW- I like your username:D

Seemed like the easiest solution of all to me. Glad to know my username was still wanted 6 years after I chose it! You have quality posts so I don't mind the potential confusion. Keep up the good work.

In the words of the OP ''what is the problem'

Has anyone thought of simply following the instructions that come with the tag.

I know common sense isn't that common but it seems obvious to me.

Unless someone makes a conscious effort to tear or remove the tag it will remain in tact.

It looks like I woke a sleeping giant, and gave people a chance to advertise, their passed and future cruises. Now if we could only get CC members to enter the "Roll Calls" like that, then it would be great.

Try the following web <cruiseluggagetags.com>

Cato

It looks like I woke a sleeping giant' date=' and gave people a chance to advertise, their[/size'] passed and future cruises. Now if we could only get CC members to enter the "Roll Calls" like that, then it would be great.

Cato

in the words of the OP...

Print, tri-fold, staple. That's it all I did and the tags held up fine; they only need to last until the bags get to your cabin. I was a huge skeptic, too, about the durability. No need for special craft supplies at all.

They work great for us as well.........and I stapled a few extra times.....staples are cheap.......;)

I just printed my luggage tags today for our May 2nd Eastern Carribbean out of FLL. My question is, will we be able to carry on any bags; or, do I print a luggage tag for everything?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Not needed for what you are carrying on yourself.

Though it is true they are not needed, I like to put them on my carry-on just in case we get separated and their are some honest and upright folks that find it. ;) :D

I can't see what the problem seems to be with the new baggage tags' date=' that Princess Cruise line, and maybe others, have come out with. I was just able to download mine for our Alaska cruis[/i']e, 12 Nov. 2010.

Here is what I did, first I trimmed 1/4" off each side, then folded them on the edge of the coloured body of the tag, now you have a narrower tag. For the next step you either need a laminator, I have a 9" one I bought at WalMart for less than $30.00 CAD, otherwise take your tags to a printing shop, place one narrow tag on each side of a full size laminating pouch, leaving approx. 1/8 - 3/16" on the outside, allowing for adhetion on the outside of the pouch, then place a third one in the exact middle, here you can use paper clips, to hold the bottom of the tag and pouch, in place, as you feed the assembly into the laminator, removing the clips as your tags travel through the machine. After cooling, cut the tags apart, leaving a slight border of laminent on the sode of each tag. Now you can either staple the ends around the handle. or with a hole punch, for a perfect round hole, punch a hole in each end, and you can tie the tag with a plastic tie, aaround the handle

Whalah! Have fun, enjoy your cruises :o:D:)

Cato

I have to agree with those who found this somewhat amusing....such a 'simple' process. Reminds me of the SNL parody of Martha "I'll show you how to make this corn husk doll in only 42 easy steps". :D

It looks like I woke a sleeping giant' date=' and gave people a chance to advertise, their passed and future cruises. Now if we could only get CC members to enter the "Roll Calls" like that, then it would be great.[/size']

Cato

Interesting site but why in the world would anyone PAY for luggage tags when all you have to do is follow the directions and print your own? It appears that some people have too much time on their hands and love craft projects.

Seemed like the easiest solution of all to me. Glad to know my username was still wanted 6 years after I chose it! You have quality posts so I don't mind the potential confusion. Keep up the good work.

Thanks:) Actually, my first username was Readyto go (I guess because you already had what I wanted:eek:), but I kept forgetting the space so I changed it the one I'm using now.

• 2 weeks later...

For all the wonderful ideas about what to do with the new printable luggage tag scheme. Try explaining this to an 75+ year old traveler, who pays a small fortunate sometimes to take a cruise. Many of these older travelers barely know what a computer looks like. All the person cares about is smooth transition from home, to the airport, and onto the ship.

I occasionally travel with my 92 year old father who lives 1500 miles away from me. He's very capable of flying alone and walking onto a cruiseship. He's been on over 50 cruises in his later years. To him, he wants everything settled and as smooth as possible and expects it for what he pays. He just paid Princess over $10,000 to go on a cruise in 90 days. Suddenly he's faced with printing paper luggage tags on a computer. Even he knows that it's unlikely his bag will arrive safely and in the cabin after traveling 7000 miles to get to his destination.

Try explaining to a 92 year old how to print the tag, cut it to a certain dimension, laminate it, punch a hole in it, and secure to his luggage. Of course he can fill out the tag at the port after traveling 18 hours in coach class and while he's trying to hang onto his baggage, with a cane in one hand and search for a pen in the other.

After paying over $10,000 for a cruise, one would think that Princess could spend the extra buck or two providing it's passengers with the required luggage tags.

Enough said...

Archived