Careful with Cocktail Cards

pisces1

Just returned from a HAL cruise and purchased both wine and cocktail cards. Just a heads up in relation to the spirits card as it is only beneficial if you purchase specialty drinks costing $6.50. (The card drops the price to $6.10). Do not use it for special "drink of the day" purchases as they are usually discounted to $5.50. Technically, you are to choose from a select menu of cocktails if you are using this card, but we found not all bartenders adhered to this nor did they inform you of what menu to choose from.

Some accepted and punched the card even though a guest mistakenly ordered a mixed drink that would have cost $4.50 if purchased individually.

How right you are. It's always best to check on the price of your preferred drink before deciding on the cocktail card.

I did purchase one once, though, even though my drink would have cost less on a per drink basis. It was worth the extra few cents not to have to keep track of all those little sales slips.

But that was an informed decision.

Thanks for posting the reminder.

Saving some cents/dollars is the whole purpose of buying a drink card. Sure it can make the transaction easier, but in the end you want it to work in your favor, moneywise. If you are comfortable overpaying for a drink that is already jacked up for profit then that is certainly your decision.

How right you are. It's always best to check on the price of your preferred drink before deciding on the cocktail card.

I did purchase one once, though, even though my drink would have cost less on a per drink basis. It was worth the extra few cents not to have to keep track of all those little sales slips.

But that was an informed decision.

Thanks for posting the reminder.

After all your cruises do you still check all of you drink slips against the bill?:confused: I did that on the first few, but now I just check the other items. One drink double posted is not something I would go to the office about, but I don't want anything major I didn't buy on there.

After all your cruises do you still check all of you drink slips against the bill?:confused: I did that on the first few, but now I just check the other items. One drink double posted is not something I would go to the office about, but I don't want anything major I didn't buy on there.

Yeah, I still check all the sales slips against the preliminary bill, then check the last slips on the last morning. Guess I'm just a frustrated accountant. And it really isn't hard, and doesn't take long.

Over the years I've found a few slips incorrect---more often a drink ordered, but no charge. That doesn't happen now, as the computer system is upgraded. I did have a large charge from the jewelry shop once, for something that I didn't purchase. I was glad I make it a habit to reconcile the bill.

Checking your folio in your room (on the TV channel) was extremely convenient when we were on Celebrity in February - I understand that HAL does not have this feature? It really made it easy on last day before disembarking.

Checking your folio in your room (on the TV channel) was extremely convenient when we were on Celebrity in February - I understand that HAL does not have this feature? It really made it easy on last day before disembarking.

It certainly would make things easier if HAL offered this feature. For the time being though, you can visit the front desk any time you wish and ask for a copy of your charges. Doing this periodically throughout the cruise makes it much easier than going through all those pages at the end.

One drink double posted is not something I would go to the office about, but I don't want anything major I didn't buy on there.

I DID go to the office about a drink order that was posted on my bill on Celebrity when the bartender mistakenly charged me for someone elses drinks. That charge was in excess of $25, and I wasn't about to pay it.

I also wish HAL would have the billings available on the interactive TV. It allows you to pick up errors early on when they are more easily corrected, instead of having to wait for the final billing and dealing with the frustration of the long lines at the front desk at the end of the cruise.

One question from a newbie and from where tipping is non existent, I know if you buy drinks separately there is a 15% surcharge added to your bill but with the drinks card is a surcharge added or are you expected to tip as well?

I would present it as I ordered and they would punch it. I always left a cash tip as well. On a few occasions, they said that I couldn't use the card as the selection was above the limit but most didn't care. I never received a paper charge when using the card, only if I charged to my cabin. I guess the buck w/ the card helped.

One question from a newbie and from where tipping is non existent, I know if you buy drinks separately there is a 15% surcharge added to your bill but with the drinks card is a surcharge added or are you expected to tip as well?

If you purchase a cocktail card (or any card, for that matter), the 15% service charge is added to the price of the card.

Either way, you may decide whether or not to leave an additional tip to the server.

Seems to me there's a principal involved, and I check all charges...but I was an accountant at one time. Last year, I found a charge for jewlery in a ship's store I had never entered. Did buy something in a different shop, so guess that's where the trouble-maker found my number. Honest mistakes are one thing, but outright cheating is something else.

Joanne

I always buy wine cards and tend to use them in specific areas. Last cruise I had one glass of wine each evening in the dining room, and the wine steward brought the wine to me as soon as I was seated. At the end of the cruise, I gave him an extra tip for the excellent service.

I don't make it a point to leave an extra tip any time I get a glass of wine, but if I use them regularly at a certain bar and get good service, I usually give the server a few extra dollars at the end of the cruise.

Some do tip extra, some don't. It's up to you.

I always check my charges, too. I review a copy of the bill every other day or so. I don't compare receipts unless something looks out of the ordinary.

As far as the cocktail cards are concerned, the 15% gratuity is included in, not added to, the cost of the card. I love the cocktail cards - they make life so much easier for me.

Seems to me there's a principal involved, and I check all charges...but I was an accountant at one time.

LOL...there's something about taking all those accounting and auditing courses that automatically draws your eyes to every document with numbers on it.

It's surprising how many careless errors are made every day in retail stores, restaurants, grocery stores, etc. I get in the habit of mentally adding up my charges, and if the clerk gets a different number, I check it out. Even the bar code scanners don't always agree with the store specials....or the expired specials when the employees forget to take down the sale sign. I have made a few "friends" in my time by dragging the store manager to the shelf and pointing out the sale sign. Sometimes sales aren't sales if you don't get the discount.

The cruiselines make their share of mistakes, too, so it pays to be diligent.

The drinks card has a 15% surcharge added to it when you purchase it.

Just returned from a HAL cruise and purchased both wine and cocktail cards. Just a heads up in relation to the spirits card as it is only beneficial if you purchase specialty drinks costing $6.50. (The card drops the price to $6.10). Do not use it for special "drink of the day" purchases as they are usually discounted to $5.50. Technically, you are to choose from a select menu of cocktails if you are using this card, but we found not all bartenders adhered to this nor did they inform you of what menu to choose from.

Some accepted and punched the card even though a guest mistakenly ordered a mixed drink that would have cost $4.50 if purchased individually.

Thanks for this information! I've added this to my information file!

Archived