Skagway Train vs train/bus

nittany lion fan

Has anyone done the White Pass Railroad (both ways ) vs railroad & bus?

I am trying to decide whether it would be better to do the Train and return by bus or book the train excursion thru the cruise line. Any guidence would help.

thanks

I haven't yet done the train/bus but am booked through Chilkoot Tours to do it in May. I chose the train/bus rather than roundtrip train so I could see slightly different scenery on the return trip.

Also, my understanding is that if you take the train roundtrip you don't get off the train at Fraser whereas taking the train/bus you at least see a little more of Fraser by getting off the train to walk to the bus and board.

I'll be curious as to what others have to say about the difference.

We did the RT train our first time in Skagway and just the highway with Chilkoot the second time so we had a few different perspectives. The train excursion is certainly worthwhile. For first timers, I would recommend either the RT train or the Chilkoot tour which includes one way train. I would especially recommend the Chilkoot tour for first timers who think this will be their only Alaska cruise as the drive along the highway is beautiful. Beware though, many folks think this will be there one and only Alaska cruise and return time and again. :)

We did the Alaskan cruise last August with Royal Caribbean and this was the only ship tour we took! We went up by bus and back by train-the best of both worlds. The bus driver was great and gave us a running commentary on the history of the region and stopped several times at photo stops and places of interest,including places that he thought we should see too(a cabin on an azure blue lake - stunning!) We stopped to see the huskies and had a barbeque lunch then on to Carcross. The bus trip was brilliant,loads to see and learn about the early adventurers. The train was great too,again the scenery was magnificent and all the staff were lovely. We really enjoyed this trip and it was worth every penny,highly recommended:):):)

Another, significant point here, is there are multiple bus/train combo tours. You need to be aware of the differences.

The round trip train, goes to Fraser and back, into BC. There is a bus/train combo for a similar distance routing. BUT there are two other train/bus tours. Another, with the train, one way Fraser, and then a bus to Emerald Lake- about 75 miles, into the Yukon. The third bus/train combo is a Lake Bennett train, and Yukon bus.

As BQ says, if you are just looking just going as far as the summit and back, then we can offer some experience on the train/bus combo. We enjoyed it, we got the train experience going up and the bus with some different scenery on the way down. We got a few stops at some scenic spots and when there wa wildlfe (we just saw some in the distance), they make sure to stop.

This May we elected to go the rental car route and go a bit further into the Yukon.

Pictures here

I am exploring these same options. I want to get as far into the Yukon territory as possible......also want to be able to walk around SOMEwhere for a bit. Doubt I will be back....too much more of the world to see.

Then the Lake Bennett train combo may be of interest. Essentially none of the other train/van/bus combos gives you a lot of free time, for anything more than a brief stop. The Lake Bennett stop is also the lunch stop, with hiking available.

SKAGWAY’S BEST VIEWS BY TRAIN AND BUS

For the best view sit by a window as follows:

By train:

Leaving Skagway sit on the left side of the train.

Leaving Fraser sit on the right side of the train.

By bus:

Leaving Skagway sit on the right (passenger) side of the bus.

Leaving Fraser sit on the left (driver) side of the bus.

NARRATIVE FROM OUR PRINCESS 14 DAY ALASKACONNOLSSEURGULF OF ALASKA CRUISE

6/15/09 Monday Skagway, AK 7:00 am8:00 pm

Sunrise: 3:43 a.m. 56 F Cloudy Wind: 20 Knots

Sunset: 10:21 p.m.

Today we took an optional Pacific Princess ship excursion that included sightseeing on a motor coach that took us into the Yukon Territory of Canada and a train ride back from Fraser to Skagway on our return. This optional excursion lasted approximately 8 hours and was one of the highlights of our cruise. Details of this excursion are as follows:

It was a fetching combination to experience the Yukon and the White Pass Scenic Railway. This tour allowed us to experience the beauty of the legendary Alaskan gold rush White Pass Trail of ’98 (1898) from two different perspectives.

Our adventure began at the dock’s parking lot aboard a comfortable motor coach that drove us along the Trail of '98 to the White Pass summit and beyond to Canada's Yukon on Highway 98, the Klondike Highway. We first enjoyed a brief tour of old downtown Skagway. Just out of the Skagway area on the Klondike Highway we stopped to view a mountainous valley where 4 different seismic faults meet in this extremely active seismic area. A roadway bridge across a canyon in the area is built like a draw bridge to allow for the roadway to adjust to the rising and sinking land during the extremely frequent earthquakes. After cresting the White Pass summit we continued the travel through Tormented Valley and visited the Village of Carcross near Lake Bennett. We were told that the area around the summit can receive up to 400 inches of snow a year. During the ride through this area we saw 2 black bears along the highway. One was black and one was brown. At Caribou Crossing we enjoyed a tasty meal that included barbequed chicken, baked potato and coleslaw along with homemade donuts. This lunch stop was at Caribou Crossing Trading Post where we visited the Wildlife Gallery and saw interesting stuffed animal exhibits of wildlife native to the region. During a short drive back to Fraser we saw another black bear by the highway. Once at Fraser we boarded our train for a very much enjoyed and scenic ride aboard the historic narrow gauge White Pass & Yukon Route railroad back to Skagway.

Since we entered Canada we had to carry and present our passport to the Canadian Border Customs upon entering Canada. On our return to the U.S. we had to present our passport to the U.S. Customs Official. On our late return to the ship we just had time to refresh ourselves before going to dinner. As it was already time for our Early Dinning in the Club Restaurant we decided that we felt too tired to hurry up and get dressed in less than a half hour. So tonight we ate a casual relaxed dinner upstairs in the Panorama Buffet on Deck 9 rather than downstairs in the main dinning room.

CITYMAP: http://skagway.com/citymap.html

In our humble opinion a trip by bus and train are the best combinations. If you take either the train or bus both ways you will be seeing the exact view TWICE and nothing new on the return trip. So we highly recommend going by bus one way and by train the other way.

Sorry for color and font problems.

Great info all. We are going to take the NCL in September to Alaska. I have looked into the deluxe bus ride but interested in the bus/ train ride. Where is info for this and I have seen some that stop running Sept. 1, 10. Thanks

Great info all. We are going to take the NCL in September to Alaska. I have looked into the deluxe bus ride but interested in the bus/ train ride. Where is info for this and I have seen some that stop running Sept. 1, 10. Thanks

http://www.skagway.com and look at your shore excursion list, very detailed descriptions.

Great thread. I've been trying to figure out with who and which tour we want. I've looked at Chilkoot's website but it looks like you have to contact them to get any prices (did I miss something?).

I know we want to do the 'short' tour and I"m thinking bus/train or RT train. We are not 'petite' people so I am concerned about the 'bus'. Is it the standard large tour coach type bus or more of a small 'shuttle' type bus? Also, what would you recommend? Go up by bus and come back by train, vice versa or just RT train?

I find the more I read, the more confused I'm getting. Any help, suggestions, information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx,

Erika

Great thread. I've been trying to figure out with who and which tour we want. I've looked at Chilkoot's website but it looks like you have to contact them to get any prices (did I miss something?).

I know we want to do the 'short' tour and I"m thinking bus/train or RT train. We are not 'petite' people so I am concerned about the 'bus'. Is it the standard large tour coach type bus or more of a small 'shuttle' type bus? Also, what would you recommend? Go up by bus and come back by train, vice versa or just RT train?

I find the more I read, the more confused I'm getting. Any help, suggestions, information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx,

Erika

I did email them and got this response...

White Pass Summit Rail & Bus Excursion

Duration: 3.5 Hours

Departure: 7:30AM & 12:00PM (Train first)

Departure: 8:30AM & 1:00PM (Bus first)

Cost: $122.00 Adult $78.00 Child (12 & Under)

The bus we had was like an airport shuttle bus size (I'd estimate 30 people max) and pretty easy to get in and out of.

We did the early morning train up and the bus back. I think this was a good combination, since the train going up was smooth and scenery great. We then had a nice bus ride back, a bit of different scenery with several stops, then they dropped us off in town by lunch time.

Here are the bus/train excursions and prices offered through Chilkoot:

1) White Pass Summit Rail & Bus Excursion

Duration: 3.5 Hours

Departure: 7:30AM & 12:00PM (Train first)

Departure: 8:30AM & 1:00PM (Bus first)

Cost: $122.00 Adult $78.00 Child (12 & Under)

Itinerary: Skagway/White Pass Summit/Fraser & return to Skagway by bus

2) Yukon Rail & Bus Excursion

Duration: 7.5 Hours

Departure: 7:30AM

Cost: $175.00 Adult $120.00 Child (12 & Under)

Lunch: Caribou Crossing Trading Post/Yukon Wildlife Museum/Husky Puppy Camp/Lunch Included

Itinerary: Skagway/White Pass Summit/Fraser by train - 1 3/4 hours on train to Fraser, Fraser to Carcross & Emerald Lake and return to Skagway by bus

3) Yukon Rail & Bus Excursion With 15-Minute Dogsled Ride

Same as #2 above plus dogsled ride included in this package

Cost: $206.00 Adults $153.00 Child (12 & Under)

4) Skagway/Carcross Rail & Bus Excursion (May 20 – September 1, 2010)

Duration: 9 Hours

Departure: 7:30AM

Cost: $228 Adult $152 Child (12 & Under) (Plus 5% sales tax)

Lunch: Lake Bennett Train Depot dining hall/Parks Canada Interpretive Displays/Lunch Included

Itinerary: 2 1/2 hours on train to White Pass Summit, Fraser & Lake Bennett – 1 1/2 hours for lunch and layover at Lake Bennett – 1.5 hours by train to Carcross – Carcross to Emerald Lake and return to Skagway by bus

Courtesy transportation is provided to and from all cruise ship docks in Skagway.

• 2 years later...
Then the Lake Bennett train combo may be of interest. Essentially none of the other train/van/bus combos gives you a lot of free time, for anything more than a brief stop. The Lake Bennett stop is also the lunch stop, with hiking available.

I've been doing much research for our upcoming AK cruise in May and have read many of your posts which are very helpful.

When we get to Skagway we plan to do the all day bus/train combo tour. Haven't decided with who yet, leaning towards Dyea Dave. With the options of train/bus up and the reverse back, is it more scenic doing train up/bus back or vise versa or does it not matter?

What is not clear to me is on these packages, the trail journey is upto which town ?

For the Yukon Train / Bus excursion - Trail stops at Fraser or does it run upto Carcoss/Emeral Lake ?

How is this trip different from the Skagway/Carcoss Rail and Bus Excursion ?

TIA

What is not clear to me is on these packages, the trail journey is upto which town ?

For the Yukon Train / Bus excursion - Trail stops at Fraser or does it run upto Carcoss/Emeral Lake ?

How is this trip different from the Skagway/Carcoss Rail and Bus Excursion ?

TIA

From a geographic point of view there are basicly three towns that can be accessed from rail or road - Skagway, Fraser, and Carcross. Therefore that are all kinds of possible ways to travel between them.

The shortest trip would be from Skagway to Fraser and return - either train or bus first with the other as a return. Some ship tours will also package a gold dredge, brewery, Liarsville, Suspension Bridge or the 40 below zero tour along with this (they are all located on the hy out of Skagway)

The trips to Carcross usualy have the road trip from Skagway to Carcross and back to Fraser with a railroad between Fraser and Skagway. This can also be run in reverse with the train from Skagway to Fraser and then bus to Carcross and return to Skagway. These tours usually include the Carcross Desert and Emerald Lake along with other scenic vistas. There is also a stop at Caribou Crossing for lunch and sled dog camp (extra$$).

The third varient involves taking the train all the way to Carcross. After Fraser the train and road go different directions with the train heading over the hill to Lake Bennett and the townsite of Bennett. Here you will be fed a wonderful lunch and be able to stretch your legs walking around the old townsite and seeing the end of the Chilkoot Trail. From Bennett you travel along the shore of this huge lake and arrive in Carcross. From there you board a bus to see Emerald Lake and the Carcross Desert then return to Skagway.

There is also a no train option whereby you simply take the road to Carcross and back.

From a geographic point of view there are basicly three towns that can be accessed from rail or road - Skagway, Fraser, and Carcross. Therefore that are all kinds of possible ways to travel between them.

The shortest trip would be from Skagway to Fraser and return - either train or bus first with the other as a return. Some ship tours will also package a gold dredge, brewery, Liarsville, Suspension Bridge or the 40 below zero tour along with this (they are all located on the hy out of Skagway)

The trips to Carcross usualy have the road trip from Skagway to Carcross and back to Fraser with a railroad between Fraser and Skagway. This can also be run in reverse with the train from Skagway to Fraser and then bus to Carcross and return to Skagway. These tours usually include the Carcross Desert and Emerald Lake along with other scenic vistas. There is also a stop at Caribou Crossing for lunch and sled dog camp (extra$$).

The third varient involves taking the train all the way to Carcross. After Fraser the train and road go different directions with the train heading over the hill to Lake Bennett and the townsite of Bennett. Here you will be fed a wonderful lunch and be able to stretch your legs walking around the old townsite and seeing the end of the Chilkoot Trail. From Bennett you travel along the shore of this huge lake and arrive in Carcross. From there you board a bus to see Emerald Lake and the Carcross Desert then return to Skagway.

There is also a no train option whereby you simply take the road to Carcross and back.

Thanks for this explanation, is much clearer now. So, between the Second variant(Train to Fraser and bus to Carcross) and third, train all the way to Carcross, which is more scenic ?

The train to Carcross option is the one I took in June. I selected it for several reasons.

1 I love trains

2 I don't like seeing the same scenery twice

3 The lunch at Bennett sounded better than the one in Caribou Crossing

4 Bennett is not on the road and is a huge part of the gold rush history

The scenery in the Yukon is fantastic no matter which way you see it.

The train to Carcross option is the one I took in June. I selected it for several reasons.

1 I love trains

2 I don't like seeing the same scenery twice

3 The lunch at Bennett sounded better than the one in Caribou Crossing

4 Bennett is not on the road and is a huge part of the gold rush history

The scenery in the Yukon is fantastic no matter which way you see it.

We are in Skagway on the 24th of June and of all the days in the week it falls on a Monday. I heard that the train to Carcross does not run on Mondays :(. Is that true ? I was so looking forward to this option.

We are in Skagway on the 24th of June and of all the days in the week it falls on a Monday. I heard that the train to Carcross does not run on Mondays :(. Is that true ? I was so looking forward to this option.

Everything I've read says Tues-Sat for Carcross. I spent yesterday researching and I also wanted to do that tour but we're going in May and it's not offered until the next week. We decided on a tour with Dyea Dave Tours - this is the tour copied from his website:

The 8 hr. afternoon train option: Bus up: $79 and Train down $81

8am-4:30pm

Join us at 8am for the bus tour to Emerald Lake, then continue to the Yukon, stopping for photos along the way and lunch at Spirit Lake Lodge, then we will get you back to Fraser at 2:30pm for the 2:45-4:30pm train ride back to Skagway. This is the best option for an all day tour, but your ship needs to depart at 6pm or later, to have time to board your ship.

Train tickets only sold out twice last summer, so your chances of that happening are small. If you'd like to definitely book the train, then call 907-983-2217 and reserve your train tickets, then let us know and we will make a note of that.

He takes resv by email and only takes cash/check at end of tour.

Archived