southwest pricing!!!!!!!!

Brandonlees

We booked our flight with southwest last thursday night. The People we where traveling with was going to book theres friday morning. By the time they went to book there flight the price went up 200 dollars. The CRuise isnt till oct 23rd but still!!!!! they didnt want to pay 200 more dollars then we did. I called southwest about it and they said they offer there specials on tuesday wednesday and thursday. SO today is tuesday the price is still 200 more then what i paid. Has anyone delt with this?! They are going to wait and see if it goes back down. Has anyone had to deal with this before and it went back down?

Thanks for any help

Brandon

You may want to look at the SWA website, and use the "flexible dates" feature. Often the day before or after the expensive day is cheaper (for instance if the expensive day is a Friday, Thursday may be more reasonable). If you find a fare that is to their liking, they could book that, and you could switch your booking to that day (no penalty for switching yours). A $200.00 increase seems VERY unusual. Is there any possibility they are looking only at the Business Select and Anytime Fares, and somehow overlooking the "wanna get away" fares? This could happen if they are calling on the phone, and not looking on line; or if they're not familiar with Southwest's pricing sturcture and website.

Harris

Denver, CO

With airfare, you have to grab it when you see it. You never know when it will go up. With Southwest if the price drops, you can get the credit towards your next flight. Why in the world they waited, only they would know. But you will be lucky to find those low prices for the same dates again, as once they run a sale, usually there aren't that many seats left to be had afterwards. A tough lesson learned for your friends. Good luck though!

We fly southwest occasionally, and I find the pricing can go up for a few weeks, then come back down again. Sometimes, it can just be down for a day or two. They can take the gamble, and wait for it to be lower than what it is, or just bite the bullet, and buy it, but keep checking the price to see if it comes back down. If it does, then they can get a credit on their account. Only problem with this is they must fly by the date it was purchased (although it is transferable!). Hope this helps them to decide.

If you're not cruising until October, there's a fairly good chance that a seat sale will happen. The prices may not go as low as you paid, but my past experience has been that there will be price reductions. Go onto the Southwest website and download their notification program called "Ding". You input your own departure airports and destinations. When a sale comes up for those airports, you'll be notified. The Ding sales are time restricted so if you get an alert, don't wait.

You may want to check your prices again. We booked the day the new bookings were released and when I checked again this morning the flights had gone down. I love that Southwest allows you to rebook at the lower rate and keep the credit to use up to 1 year from now. We now have a $50 credit.

Archived