Procedures for Standby Cruisers

mfeenker

I keep hearing that cruisers can come to a port and cruise standby if there is last minute space.

Anyone know the procedures to get on a list as TSA requires 48 - 72 hr passenger clearance?

TSA doesn't require the clearance, it's homeland security, and it's 90 minutes before sail away.

You can't just go to the port and stand around. You have to call the cruise line the night before or morning of the cruise to see if there is availabiity and book it. The folks at the check-in desks at the port do not have the capability to sell you a cruise. You would also have to have proof of booking just to get into the terminal. EM

I would call the specific cruiseline on this one as it may vary. last I heard there was no longer just that 90 min. window.

I have booked several cruises the day of sailaway as I have a condo 9 minutes from the port. It is still 90 minutes.

I have booked several cruises the day of sailaway as I have a condo 9 minutes from the port. It is still 90 minutes.

Silverado44, Then I take it you've sailed this way before? Did you just call the Cruise Line then? Also did you receive a price break?

The actual DHS deadline is 60 minutes (I had posted a link to the Federal Register where the adopted rule was published, but I'm too lazy to look for it right now), however, most cruise lines close check-in at 90 to 120 minutes prior to sailing to allow adequate time for data processing and transmission of the file to DHS.

PS:

I've found the post, which includes the wording of the adopted rule and a link to the full document: (the link to the rule may no longer be working)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=23643791&postcount=10

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's a link to the actual DHS adopted rule, and a summarizing sentence I've excerpted from the rule:

http://cbp.gov/linkhandler/cgov/trav..._departure.pdf

Thus, CBP proposed that vessel

carriers transmit passenger and crew

manifests for vessels departing from the

United States no later than 60 minutes

prior to departure. This timing

requirement will remain the same in

this final rule.

Of course you're free to read the entire 27 page document if you wish.

Silverado44, Then I take it you've sailed this way before? Did you just call the Cruise Line then? Also did you receive a price break?

I usually sail Carnival from Long Beach and have called my PVP about 9am to see if there is any rooms available for that days sailing. Often times, it would be at a reduced rate, like $129 for a 4 day.

I usually sail Carnival from Long Beach and have called my PVP about 9am to see if there is any rooms available for that days sailing. Often times, it would be at a reduced rate, like $129 for a 4 day.

Thanks for the info. I'm within an hours drive to Mobile AL which host a Carnival ship and will get my TA onboard on checking availabilities.

The one problem you may have is gaining access to the terminal if you don't have some kind of proof that you're booked on the cruise. I know that many times I've had to show my cruise ticket a the security checkpoint at the entrance to the dock area.

• 2 weeks later...
The one problem you may have is gaining access to the terminal if you don't have some kind of proof that you're booked on the cruise. I know that many times I've had to show my cruise ticket a the security checkpoint at the entrance to the dock area.

Your correct kitty9, Carnival is the cruiseline from Mobile, and I can do all the online checkin and print out my S&S then be at the terminal within 2 hours, which would give me plenty of time.

Archived